Saw an Equinox Fuel Cell today?

Bimmer325

I saw a Chevy Equinox Fuel Cell in suburban Connecticut today, complete with exclusive front fascia and grille and fuel cell decals. Normal New York plates.

Are these in production?

equinox_fcv-450.jpg

Yes, sparse production and given out through a program where people who live in areas with Hydrogen stations (i.e. very few) can apply and then are given the vehicles free of charge for, I believe, 2 months to use and give feedback.

For all those naysayers out there, GM has more than 20 of those fuel cell vehicles on the road (built right here in Canada.) They also have working mules of the Volt, too. Despite trolls claiming otherwise, both vehicles are in final stages of development. I understand that GM is having conversations with major providers about feasibility of having hydrogen fueling stations set up nation-wide.

Of course, it will be quickly pointed out that GM isn't the only company with fuel cell vehicles on the road right now. :AH-HA_wink:

For all those naysayers out there, GM has more than 20 of those fuel cell vehicles on the road (built right here in Canada.) They also have working mules of the Volt, too. Despite trolls claiming otherwise, both vehicles are in final stages of development. I understand that GM is having conversations with major providers about feasibility of having hydrogen fueling stations set up nation-wide.

Of course, it will be quickly pointed out that GM isn't the only company with fuel cell vehicles on the road right now. :AH-HA_wink:

Not to be a "troll" or anything - but you're wrong on both. :neenerneener:

The Equinox FCEV is fully-developed and "productionized", already available for the public to drive. Sure, they cost about $1 million each, but they've met all FMVSS and NHTSA requirements.

The Volt is far from completion. The "production" body revealed two months ago has yet to see its electric powertrain. Those are still in previous-gen Malibu mules.

All major auto manufacturers have fuel cell vehicles now - in the US, GM and Honda (FCX Clarity) are lending out a few to consumers.

Edmunds Equinox FCEV Full Test: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drive...rticleId=131810

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, it was on my local news this week-there's a testing plant somewhere around Honeoye Falls, NY, not too far from me-another suburb (more a ruralburb at that point) of Rochester-but it was on News 8 WROC this week-saw it in a parade out in Palmyra too in September during their Canaltown Days (another town near Rochester). Too bad the grille never 'traversed' so to speak onto the current Equinox...