Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

lets hear your thoughts.

I think the big three should pull out of the 2009 Auto Show entirely.

In fact, I think that they should cancel the whole NAIAS.

This might be exactly the type of message that needs to be sent on this.

then the auto journalists couldn't eat free lunch and party all week, and maybe they would be laid off too (nothing to do).

The big three should simply have a press conference every day at one of its manufacturing plants, low key, serve some food to everyone, take a few photos, etc. Just post that on their own web sites. Call it good.

Thoughts? I think something unconventional and drastic like this would really say something.

The convention center sells tickets and food to visitors, so they'd lose a ton of money. Detroit would also take a hit from restaurant and hotel revenue. The city would lose too much money if the show didn't go on, and the import manufacturers will want to be there. If GM-Ford-Chrysler want to skip it they could, but then they are losing out on free press coverage while Toyota sucks it up with the new Prius.

No way!

This is good in theory, but Japan Inc. would immediately step in to fill the void. Which would promote good will amongst the journalist and prompt heaps of praise and "Japan slays Detroit 3 in their own city" articles.

I'm surprised we haven't been reading "Japan successfully runs Detroit out of California" articles over the L.A. Show as it is.

Thoughts? I think something unconventional and drastic like this would really say something.

I think something drastic like this would say "we surrender!"

The show MUST go on!

BTW, I moved this topic into the newly created '09 NAIAS forum!

Unfortunately, this is one of the reasons Detroit is in such trouble. Every time GM or Ford pull out of anything, Japan Inc steps in to fill the void, further adding to the illusion of Detroit's irrelevance. It would be one thing to not support the Academy Awards or something like that, but the Auto Show in Detroit is Ford and GM's own backyard.

I remember (fondly) to the early auto shows of the mid-70s that I attended where Datsun, Honda and others were relegated to back corners and only a few square feet of space. Now, the auto shows are polluted with the imports and their offerings. It's almost a reason for me NOT to go.

Unfortunately, this is one of the reasons Detroit is in such trouble. Every time GM or Ford pull out of anything, Japan Inc steps in to fill the void, further adding to the illusion of Detroit's irrelevance. It would be one thing to not support the Academy Awards or something like that, but the Auto Show in Detroit is Ford and GM's own backyard.

This is very true. Just watch a sporting event anywhere outside the area surrounding Detroit. The floors and walls are plastered with Toyota, KIA, Hyundai, etc. Halftime shows are always sponsored by an Asian auto company.....and guess what? Most people are fine with that.

I was watching Conan last night, and the crowd literally booed loudly when Conan mentioned the Big 3 asking for a "bailout". This country is :censored: ing sick. :puke: Of course Conan also went on the make fun of Detroit's crappy cars with bad mileage. :rolleyes:

The Big 3 can't win. If they don't show up to the NAIAS in Detroit, the journalists will say they have given up and can't compete.....and if they do show up, and put on the same show, the journalists will say that Detroit is still oblivious and acting like there is not problem. Face it, the citizens of this great land have spoken....they do not want a domestic auto industry.

If you can't tell, I'm fed up. :angry2: :cussing:

So.....after Porsche last year, looks like Rolls Royce, Ferrari, Land Rover, and Suzuki are pulling out as well......

I guess Suzuki's not such a big deal......but it can't be a good sign that such halo brands as Porsche, Rolls, and Ferrari are not even displaying at North America's supposed #1 auto show.....

Apparently Suzuki and Mitsubishi do not need any related exposure or visibility that would result from participating in this critical auto show. Well... out of sight, out of mind...I suppose. Watch somebody else step up and fill that space...such as the Chinese automakers. Yeah, those guys may not have the finished, deliverable product for us right now, but by displaying what they DO have (in the now-vacant show space) they will push forward in making a name for themselves. Anyone on display in Detroit will certainly reach the eyes and minds of thousands of people. Thousands of everyday people - potential customers - who attend the 2009 Detroit show will come away from it with no lasting memory of a Suzuki or Mitsubishi product...further eroding those brands' awareness in the region. The Big 3 better hang in there and display all their goods...even the somewhat disappointing & outdated stuff like G3, G5, Colorado, and Equinox need to be present to keep people aware that YES...yes indeed you can still get vintage (several-year-old) design vehicles at today's prices.

Edited by jlgolden