Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
knightfan26917

Odd conversational quips

9 posts in this topic

Last week, I overheard someone tell someone else in the midst of a conversation:

"We're all nobody to somebody."

After a slight pause, the other one replied:

"Or, put another way ... Everybody is nobody to somebody."

They laughed and starting talking about something else entirely...and I tuned them out again.

*shrugs*

I've no idea how or why that exchange stuck out to me, but it did. Guess it sounded odd at the time, but then got me thinking....

Anyway ... have you ever overheard something that just sounded...weird? If so...share!

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...RT 66 drive = Sept '09

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"They'd always just been there" ... Crash Test Dummies ... 'Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm'

"We just assign names to things. What if barbecue sauce was called carbon dioxide, and carbon dioxide was called barbecue sauce?"

-Girl in a burger restaurant who clearly thought volume was an appropriate substitute for intellect. My friends and I got a lot of good lines from her, but that one really stands out.

Edited by Enzora

'What's a Pontiac...is that a kind of Dodge?'. ---overheard at an auto show a few years ago, a woman saying to her male companion regarding the '06 GTO.

'I don't know..I thought Pontiac only made rental cars'---the male companion

'Friday at midnight kill them all.. then replace them..' -- a colleague, talking about a server upgrade. Heard out of context, it could mean something quite different.

"I am not Socrates" -- Law school professor explaining how his class will be taught.

"You know how we make fun of New Jersey? Well, other states have their own New Jersey, like North Carolina has South Carolina. But every other state also has New Jersey."

~My friend from Lawn Guyland explaining to his friend from home about the universal mockability of New Jersey.

'What's a Pontiac...is that a kind of Dodge?'. ---overheard at an auto show a few years ago, a woman saying to her male companion regarding the '06 GTO.

'I don't know..I thought Pontiac only made rental cars'---the male companion

LOL! You HAVE to be kidding...the guy really thought Pontiacs were only rentals? OMG............

LOL! You HAVE to be kidding...the guy really thought Pontiacs were only rentals? OMG............

I've heard that elsewhere...remember, for many people, their only encounters with American cars are rentals or riding in a taxi occasionally.

"I want to delete my text messages and it says 'Delete text messages? Yes/No' on my phone. Which key should I press? Yes or No?" - call to a call center where a colleague of mine used to work during college...

I've heard that elsewhere...remember, for many people, their only encounters with American cars are rentals or riding in a taxi occasionally.

True...I know.

But, holy cow ... with the advertisements on TV and radio ... as well as signs at dealerships, you'd think people would have a better clue ;).

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0