Honda pulls out of F1

siegen

Article @ formula1.com

It truly is sad, given 2009 was set up to be a return to success with new leadership and a new engine. Unfortunately it will never materialize. And given the last 2 seasons, it would have almost been better had Honda pulled out after 2006, which was a fairly good season.

lastblast.jpg

The way F1 was going, towards more regulation, budget caps, and even possibly standard engines across the field, had most of the manufacturers pretty pissed off at F1. It was no surprise to see manufacturer teams pulling out, I'm just surprised Honda was the first, and how abrupt it was.

Maybe they're going to focus on a real motorsport, like Nascar. :rolleyes:

Believe it or not, that's the plan

NASCAR is the reason that the next NSX was/is supposed to have a V8 engine.

Honda submitted a 'prototype car' to NASCAR a few years ago, but NASCAR turned them down (put them on hold) because they were already dealing with Toyota entering the sport. But Honda went ahead with the plans anyway and built the BLOCK in the new NSX to be NASCAR certified.

Now, fast forward to today and Honda is whispering in NASCAR's ear again (in light of the big three shrinking... Once again an asian company uses the loss of the big three as an opportunity for gain) and word is that NASCAR is seriously considering letting them in.

FWIW, look for Toyota to BUY their way into Evernham Motorsports next year too. Since Dodge is on the skids, Toyota swooped in and offered Evernham a HUGE amount of money, the question is will he bite. (But we all know the answer since it is NASCAR, after all) Naturally, Dodge can't compete with the Toyota offer and Toyota is once again BUYING their success in motorsports.

My sources... Well, I live in Charlotte NC, so you figure it out... :AH-HA_wink:

NASCAR only sees $$ now, they could care less what happens due to their actions. its not for the fans if it was tickets wouldnt be $80 to sit in half of a folding chair in the nosebleed section. they wouldnt have closed all the great historic short tracks like north wilksburough and there would be still 2 races at darlington each year. they are as far from what NASCAR was founded on as the east is from the west. bill france has already rolled over 5 or 6 times in his grave by now.

NASCAR only sees $$ now, they could care less what happens due to their actions. its not for the fans if it was tickets wouldnt be $80 to sit in half of a folding chair in the nosebleed section. they wouldnt have closed all the great historic short tracks like north wilksburough and there would be still 2 races at darlington each year. they are as far from what NASCAR was founded on as the east is from the west. bill france has already rolled over 5 or 6 times in his grave by now.

I agree 100%....

That's why I want to start going to local tracks again. (Might even get down your way)

What's sad is that all of the NASCAR guys I talk to (I know quite a few that work for virtually all of the teams here) feel the same way, it's all about $$$. It almost seems like the sport is rotting from the inside out.

One of the guys was telling me the REAL motivation behind the Car Of Tomorrow. Guess what... $$$$$$