Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Ok, change of plans...

daves87rs

Ok, this is going to suck.

I might have to put tires on the Cobalt sooner than i thought.

The Cav still gets good tires(they get replaced in the spring), but it looks like I might have to get cheaper tires for now.

I was planning on Traction TAs(about 315 buck), but might have to drop to about 200 bucks...

Are there any decent tires in this price range?

What size? When my old L200 needed tires, I got some Fuzions rediculously cheap. I dont recall the exact size, but they were 15 inchers, a set of 4 wound up being something like $240 after taxes and disposal. Firestone generally has the lowest prices for tires around here. I needed a new one for the wagon, their cheapest was about $20 less than everyone else.

Link to Firestone, you can get a quote easily, assuming you have one nearby.

*Oh, and the Fuzions were fine for cheap tires. They weren't the quietest and didn't have spectacular wet grip, but they did the job.

Edited by Satty

I'd have to check my snow covered Cobalt, but I want to say 195 60 R15s...

Though I mostly see 205's for them....

I'll have to check Firestone, but when I last checked I think they wanted like 100 bucks per tire.

I figure if I get a good 30K in these tires, I'll be happy.

The wife is upset on how bad the Contis really were...

When I was a Saturn parts guy we sold tons of Fuzion HRi's as a cheaper alternative to the OE Firestones and most people were quite happy w/ them. They were usually about $50-$60 ea IIRC.

A Tigerpaw touring or Kumho Solus might come close in price as well, but might be more like $65-$70 ea.

P.S. - If Firestone wants like $100 for the Fuzion, check w/ a GM store mabye. They can usually order them from their tire supplier even though GM does not include the Fuzion brand in their tire program.

Edited by fightingbee

I just went out and bought new tires when I was home two weeks ago. I bought Goodyear Eagle F1 All Seasons at 350 per tire. However I found a dealer in nearby Pennsylvania who gave me a 100 dollar discount per tire, and because I paid cash and didn't want a receipt he knocked off another 100 bucks. I only needed to replace my front tires, the Pontiac Grand Prix GXP's front tire size is P255/45R18.

When I was a Saturn parts guy we sold tons of Fuzion HRi's as a cheaper alternative to the OE Firestones and most people were quite happy w/ them. They were usually about $50-$60 ea IIRC.

A Tigerpaw touring or Kumho Solus might come close in price as well, but might be more like $65-$70 ea.

P.S. - If Firestone wants like $100 for the Fuzion, check w/ a GM store mabye. They can usually order them from their tire supplier even though GM does not include the Fuzion brand in their tire program.

Hmm..that might be something to really look into.....

With as bad as Michigan roads are now, cheaper tires might be a better choice for the Balt.

I was debating about replacing them a bit sooner anyways (maybe 60-65k)....for the set after this one...

General Altramax?

60 bucks a tire...

We have General Altimax HP on the Bimmer and Fuzion HRi on the Ody. We got both from TireRack and I'm happy with them, especially considering the price.

General = Continental (made in France)

Fuzion = Bridgestone (no label of origin)

I've never had any of those Generals, but they do *look* like a very nice tire, IMO at least a lot better than the Contis even though they are from the same Mfr.

BTW: The Fuzion were/are made in: USA/Japan/Indonesia/Costa Rica just depending on the size. :huh: They seemed to be of equal quality either way though.