NAIAS '09: NOS' Review

NOS2006

dsci0000qy7.jpg

Well, this makes my fourth consecutive year that I’ve been to the North American International Auto Show here in frigid Detroit, MI. Every year has been a lot of fun no matter when you go. The first three times I ended up going on the first Public Day as soon as the gates opened. This year, however, I was able to get tickets with some coworkers and got in on the first day of the Industry Preview. And let me tell you, depression is in the air.

Fortunately, we walked in right by the Ford exhibit, which was about the same as most years, but spectacular by comparison to most other exhibits. If that doesn’t tell you something then there’s something wrong. The entire auto show basically looked like a typical showroom floor, and was as busy as one too. The foot traffic was low, the camera crews were few and far between, and the overall feel was just as cold as the single-digit temperatures outside the building.

If the low-cost investment on displays, limited number of models -- both cars and women -- on the floor, and overall “wow factor” (which, by the way, there was zero of) have any reflection on the state of the industry then you’d be kidding yourself to say everything is okay. Hell, you’d be kidding yourself to say anything is okay. The way this looked, I’d be shocked if they didn’t cancel entire auto shows, like there are rumors of with the Tokyo International Auto Show.

That being said, I will say I was impressed with some of Ford’s new stuff, especially the Fusion and Taurus. I like the refreshed Mustang, but I’m still not a fan of the F150.

However, one of the most exciting parts of the show for me was the Camaro display. There was a silver RS, a Camaro Black Concept, and a red (SS?) model that you could sit inside. I love how the interior just unfolds around you and how the steering wheel both tilts and telescopes. However, I must say that I am really disappointed. One of the biggest things I've been worried about are the materials of the interior. Well, when I sat inside I felt the door panel and the instrument panel and they were both very hard plastic. I'm hoping this is just a very very pre-production car because that's even worse than the vinyl-covered dash of the 4th Gens. Very unappealing and I'm very unhappy if that crap makes production.

Aside from that, there wasn’t really anything that interested me except for maybe a handful of the ladies walking around. It was sad to walk through Pontiac and the others and say that this may be the last time, or one of the last times, ever seeing them at the show. Speaking of which, Pontiac had a G3 on display which made me question if they’re still bringing it for a year or not with the latest news Pontiac’s spilled.

All in all, it was just a really sad show. The displays were subpar, the money spent on displays were nill, and there was nothing special about it like there has been in the past. No special feeling, just bland and unappealing. Mitsubishi’s display was terrible, and Bugatti’s display was simply a Veyron with a rope around it. Also, as we all know, Ferrari wasn’t there and neither was Nissan/Infiniti (which is sad because I wanted to see the new Maxima, 370Z, and G37 – and Nissan usually has some of the better looking models there). Aside from feeling uncomfortable and uneasy about the show this year, I just don’t know what to say.

So that’s that. Hopefully everything gets better, and soon. Here’s a link to the pictures I took at the show:

http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a223/NOS2006/NAIAS%202009/

There is a difference between being hard plastic, and feeling cheap. Lots of cars, including the current Mustang, use hard, textured plastic on the upper dash and it works. If by hard plastic you mean the crap that was in the last generation Camaro with pre-refreshed interior, then... if the new Camaro has that kind of plastic, that's not good.

That is pretty disheartening, both as a whole an in relation to the Camaro. Design wise it's a winner, but both Dodge and apparently now Ford us soft touch surfaces throughout the cabin. Shame on GM for not using higher quality materials. We've been waiting for three years for this car...how hard is it to build it with decent materials?

One of the baffling things to me is the absence of companies like Nissan, because Nissan had a display at the New England International Auto Show, complete with 370Z, Cube, and GTR.

Great writeup dude.

That is pretty disheartening, both as a whole an in relation to the Camaro. Design wise it's a winner, but both Dodge and apparently now Ford us soft touch surfaces throughout the cabin. Shame on GM for not using higher quality materials. We've been waiting for three years for this car...how hard is it to build it with decent materials?

One of the baffling things to me is the absence of companies like Nissan, because Nissan had a display at the New England International Auto Show, complete with 370Z, Cube, and GTR.

Great writeup dude.

Thank you.

Really, I was raggin' on Dodge for giving the Challenger a thick-padded vinyl IP and now I see that Chevy completely cheaped out. I'm really pissed that this is all we get is this $h!.

I didn't take any video; I didn't even think of it.

The LaCrosse is definitely very nice in person and looks every bit as good as you expect. The three co-workers I went with just gawked over it and sat there saying they can't believe it's so nice, they can't believe it's a Buick. This car will definitely be the home run that the current LaCrosse isn't. It's interior is magnificent too. Much higher class than any Lexus interior.

I've been wanting to see the Lacrosse interior in black...I see you snapped a shot of it. WIsh you got more, but it looks great.

Yeah, unfortunately that's really the only shot you can get of the dash. The driver's side door is closed, and you can only get so close to the LaCrosse...

There is a difference between being hard plastic, and feeling cheap. Lots of cars, including the current Mustang, use hard, textured plastic on the upper dash and it works. If by hard plastic you mean the crap that was in the last generation Camaro with pre-refreshed interior, then... if the new Camaro has that kind of plastic, that's not good.

There really isn't. All hard plastic squeaks and rattles after a handful of potholes.

dsci0000qy7.jpg

Aside from feeling uncomfortable and uneasy about the show this year, I just don’t know what to say.

So that’s that. Hopefully everything gets better, and soon. Here’s a link to the pictures I took at the show:

http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a223/NOS2006/NAIAS%202009/

A hard dose of bleak reality is like being slapped-in-the-face with a wet mackerel.

Since few living today have experienced a downturn like the one we're in (a bad year for GM was selling 5.5 million units in the U.S. when I was a new-hire) prepare for this to last quite a while.

Neighbor of mine and his wife just lost their home of 4 years.

His leased Mercedes was taken back and his wife was loading some remnants of their life into the trunk of their 2 year old Avalon on moving day just recently. He worked for Chase in Wilmington, DE.

Her red-rimmed eyes told the story where words would've failed to express the scope of the matter.

As the Allied Van Lines truck pulled away with their belongings stowed on board, the wind picked up, gathering snow and last Fall's dead leaves scouring their front yard, green until mid-November, and spun upwards as an expanding vortex into the deepening indigo of twilight. The moment held for a heartbeat or two then a shower of brown and white was swept Eastward by the prevailing winds.

We are all at the mercy and whim of what Society-at-large has wrought as well as being vulnerable to the winds of change.

Those that will not learn from History are doomed to repeat it.

Would that it were that we have been paying attention.

Thank you all for your kind words.

My sweetheart and I are now living in New Jersey right upon the Eastern edge of the United States on Long Beach Island. My home in Northeast, MD has recently (like one week ago) been leased to a woman working for the Defense Dept. in Aberdeen, MD. Now I'm a landlord and once again a gypsy though not for General Motors this time. I'm retiring from Wilmington assembly effective 03-01-2009. My sweetie works now for Bristol-Meyers-Squibb in Princeton, NJ (still commutes 110 round-trip from the shore everyday but she wanted to live at my Family's home on the shore).

The only constant is change it'd seem.

The shore home was mostly vacant save for 3 months during 'prime-time'. We haven't worked out the sharing portion of this arrangement for the home yet, but two of my Brothers have already rented 6 blocks away for their Summer '09 getaways. I think that I'll be liable to defray a portion o' that (talked it over with Dad and he said he'd settle with my Brothers) I may even make an honest woman out of my girlfriend this Spring provided she does not lose interest.

The Shore in Winter has it's own stark grandeur. Fewer souls out and about and the local people gradually accept newcomers. Very gradually. Little snow in evidence around hear but 10 miles or so inland, there it is. But the winds excite the waves and the wind does chill. Nice to sit by the crackling fire looking off toward Europe as night draws near sipping a little wine as dinner cooks in the oven. I raise my glass to hearth and home as I hear my sweetie's car pulling into the garage...

Cool write up and pics, NOS!

Too bad the plastics of the Camaro aren't that great. Hopefully you are right and it is just a pre-production version....

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...RT 66 drive = Sept '09

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Got my pedal to the metal" ... Sheryl Crow ... 'Real Gone'