Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

GM's Ed Peper promises Chevrolet will gain market share in 2009

Here we are, not yet through the first month of the new year, and Ed Peper, vice president at Chevrolet, is already predicting that the Bowtie brand will increase market share in 2009. What evidence does he submit to arrive at this early conclusion? Last year, Chevy managed to post an increase of six-tenths of a point in retail share in 2008, despite the horrible market conditions late in the year, with the Malibu leading the charge by increasing sales by nearly 40% over the previous generation.

The latest Malibu is certainly a good place to start, and Peper believes that the updated Equinox crossover will make similar inroads in the market. Peper also points to wins by the Malibu and Silverado in recent J.D. Power Initial Quality studies as proof that the brand's products are improving and are comparable to their import competition. These wins are a good place to start, and Peper says the brand will continue to heavily market its best products, but we maintain that it's a bit early to be tooting one's horn with only a half of one month's sales in the books.

Source: Autoblog

The fastest way for Chevrolet to gain market share would be to:

1. Expedite getting the Cruze into the domestic market;

2. Get a hot looking coupe and/or convertible Malibu out;

3. Do SOMETHING with the Impala NOW, even if its just new front and rear clips.

Impala is their largest selling car, so why is it taking so long to replace or even re-fresh it??

Impala is their largest selling car, so why is it taking so long to replace or even re-fresh it??

As far as #2 goes that's pointless, the far hotter Camaro is coming out this year.

Agreed on nr 1.

Agreed with Dodgefan on nr 2.

Disagree on nr 3.

For nr 3. I'd suggest developing a LWB Epsilon2 which could keep the Impala name and sell the NG Epica (SWB Epsilon2) in the US, eventually using the Malibu name across the globe.

Agreed on nr 1.

Agreed with Dodgefan on nr 2.

Disagree on nr 3.

For nr 3. I'd suggest developing a LWB Epsilon2 which could keep the Impala name and sell the NG Epica (SWB Epsilon2) in the US, eventually using the Malibu name across the globe.

I think a Malibu coupe or convertible would sell well, and not take away from the new Camaro, but I could be wrong;

I'm all for a completely new Impala, but given all of GM's troubles now, I figured that the best way to get an updated Impala would be to freshen the current one.

Peper also points to wins by the Malibu and Silverado in recent J.D. Power Initial Quality studies as proof that the brand's products are improving and are comparable to their import competition.

I believe the better quality. My 09 Silverado is a really nice truck and everything about it is five times better than my 05 was.

I completely agree with #1. If GM is able to roll out this car in other markets, then I don't understand delaying its introduction on its home turf.

As far as #2, I would rather see Chevy introduce a new Monte Carlo coupe on the SWB Epsilon II platform to compete against the Accord and Altima coupes. As cool as the upcoming Camaro is, I think there is still a market for those who prefer FWD based midsize coupes. It would need a killer design, not the deformed mess that was the last gen car. The Malibu is a great design for a midsize sedan, but I have a hard time imagining it in a coupe configuration. My personal preference would be to see a Zeta based RWD Monte Carlo coupe, but I know that will never happen. This option is a nice alternative.

As far as #3, I agree with ZL-1. I think GM will put the next gen Malibu back on the SWB version of Epsilon II (as well as merge it with the global Epica/Tosca as he suggests) and use the LWB version for the next gen Impala. The upcoming Buick LaCrosse is about the size that modern FWD based large cars will probably be in the future and I expect the next gen Impala to follow in that direction. Until the next gen Impala arrives, a front/rear update of the current car wouldn't be such a bad idea. I would also like to see the newer 3.6L V6/6 speed auto trans combo installed in it, but I doubt GM can afford the expense of reengineering a dated platform to accept this engine/trans combo. The money needed to perform this engine/transmission transplant will be better spent developing an Eps II based next gen version.