Dan Neil reveiws the Jeep Commander

tmp

"As we say in the South: Dang, she's ugly."

Registration required

He basically says that there's not much point to it- they take a "..clone of the terrific Grand Cherokee" and add two "hilariously cramped and uncomfortable" extra seats.

He also hates the styling, which I kind of agree with. In trying to Hummer up, they just made the thing look wierd.

Maybe no one likes the Commander... :P Seriously, though, what's the point of posting a link to an article? Which requires registration? When it really doesn't? :blink: Really annoying, ya know... Anyways, the interior looks cheaper than my GA. Okay, I'm exaggerating but it sucks more than vehicle at it's price point should. I could care less that it feels cheap, though. But looking cheap? No way Jose... you aren't getting away with that. Not a chance. I think an Aveo's interior looks more expensive than it... Okay, another exaggeration. Shoot me. :D

Grand Vitara is mechanically identical to Equinox or Torrent.  So help.

[post="42210"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The Grand Vitara is a totally new Japanese platform that shares nothing with Equinox/Torrent. Also, it's RWD-based and the V6 is the same 2.7L DOHC V6 currently used in the XL-7.

The interior isn't horrible looking (it is cramped though-not much more cargo space than Grand Cherokee and the third row is a pointless proposition, with little second-row room either), and while the exterior does look better in person than in pictures, it is only slightly so. A waste of time, effort, and money-when you could get a roomier and far superior GMC Envoy XL for similar money.

The interior isn't horrible looking (it is cramped though-not much more cargo space than Grand Cherokee and the third row is a pointless proposition, with little second-row room either), and while the exterior does look better in person than in pictures, it is only slightly so. A waste of time, effort, and money-when you could get a roomier and far superior GMC Envoy XL for similar money.

[post="42914"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I remember a Motor Trend comparo that included an Envoy XUV, and on the mild off-road course the Envoy was incapcitated buy a punctured transmission oil pan. They had to use a Durango to tow it back to civilization. I don't think that would happen in a Jeep.