Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

The band Metallica wish they could be

I like Metallica, I like Megadeth, and I get tired of hearing debates over who's better, and who's the bigger jerk. James Hetfield, Lars Ulrich, and Dave Mustaine are all Type A, control freak asshole types, and a band with three people with that personality type usually won't survive. Mustaine was the odd man out, both bands went on to make some kickass thrash, and that's all I really care about. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go listen to some Slayer.

While we're comparing metal bands, I have a question that's been bugging me for a while. Is Anthrax really worthy of being grouped as one of the "big four" thrash bands along with Metallica, Megadeth, and Slayer? I'm asking this because haven't heard much of them, and I know they were popular in the 80s, but they don't seem to have the towering reputation that the other three have (or at least had in their primes.)

Anthrax is a great band, but they never quite hit it big like Metallica or Megadeth. I think their more humorous take on metal ("I'm the Man" etc) didn't connect as well with the metal community. They also started out a little more commercial than Metallica and Megadeth, but then moved underground as Metallica and Megadeth began to take off. Their first album is my favorite and the most raw Anthrax release, but they were pretty consistent musically throughout their career (State of Euphoria is probably their weakest effort, IMO).

Testament is one that I like to include in a "Big Five" of thrash...a very higly underrated band. Same with Metal Church. Neither band took off, unfortunately.

LMFAO....

Metallica wishes they were Megadeth??! I damn near fell out of my chair. Thanks for the laugh!

I love both bands, (and I too, am tired of the MetallicA verse Megadeth/MetallicA verses Slayer $h!) but there is just no comparison between the two.

I really wish Mustaine would've remained a part of MetallicA though. Just imagine the powerhouse the band would be.

Oh, and I agree that Lars is the weakest link in the band. Death Magnetic would've been MUCH, MUCH, MUCH more impressive with a better drummer. Say, someone like John Boecklin from DevilDriver (the best drummer in metal IMO) or Chris Adler from Lamb of God, or even Joey Jordison from Slipknot.

BTW, the big 5 bands of thrash = MetallicA, Slayer, Anthrax, Exodus and Testament. Megadeth can be counted, but they weren't around at the start of the genre (obviously, since Mustaine was a part of MetallicA)

LMFAO....

Metallica wishes they were Megadeth??! I damn near fell out of my chair. Thanks for the laugh!

I love both bands, (and I too, am tired of the MetallicA verse Megadeth/MetallicA verses Slayer $h!) but there is just no comparison between the two.

I really wish Mustaine would've remained a part of MetallicA though. Just imagine the powerhouse the band would be.

Oh, and I agree that Lars is the weakest link in the band. Death Magnetic would've been MUCH, MUCH, MUCH more impressive with a better drummer. Say, someone like John Boecklin from DevilDriver (the best drummer in metal IMO) or Chris Adler from Lamb of God, or even Joey Jordison from Slipknot.

BTW, the big 5 bands of thrash = MetallicA, Slayer, Anthrax, Exodus and Testament. Megadeth can be counted, but they weren't around at the start of the genre (obviously, since Mustaine was a part of MetallicA)

Megadeth released there first album in 1985, but the band began in 83.

"Some Kind of Monster" tells all we need to know about Metallica's driving dynamic.

I love these guys as brothers yet resent the treatment shown to Jason.

Those delays preceding St. Anger bugged the sh*t out of me as it chilled my own personal Metallica renaissance which began in '98.

As a young married man in '83 I was too involved with Family and work to catch the original Metallica-train yet I heard of the buzz surrounding them at the time. This was some time before the Internet of course.

Remember there are no rules but Metallica Rules.

peace out.

If Mustaine's voice got lower pitched like James' they'd have to do it as well. Not that James is super singer, but it helps to sing in key. :AH-HA_wink:

True that.

One of the main reasons I listen to MetallicA is James voice. I especially love it during the Load era. James voice/vocals OWNS most other bands, including Megadeth.

He's a pretty good singer considering he wasn't supposed to be the singer.

His voice has gotten higher pitched again though, since he 1) stopped smoking/drinking and 2) is actively trying to sing in a higher octave on some things. (SEE: All Nightmare Long) I, however, like the lower stuff better.

"Some Kind of Monster" tells all we need to know about Metallica's driving dynamic.

I love these guys as brothers yet resent the treatment shown to Jason.

I agree... It was very hard for me to watch that documentary. I feel as though these guys saved my life at one point. But after seeing Some Kind of Monster, I think I would've punched James in the face. and locked Lars in the closet and starved him to death. Their egos got TOO big.

I loved Jason. Had James not been around, Jason would've been my favorite.

Those delays preceding St. Anger bugged the sh*t out of me as it chilled my own personal Metallica renaissance which began in '98.

As a young married man in '83 I was too involved with Family and work to catch the original Metallica-train yet I heard of the buzz surrounding them at the time. This was some time before the Internet of course.

I'm in that same boat, in a way. I began listening to MetallicA around '98. St. Anger was the first album release that I had been through with them.

On the BBC yesterday, they showed Megadeth's oldest fan. He was 82 and lived in the UK. He has every CD they have ever put out and Megadeth sent him a signed T shirt ...

That's awesome...

I think Dave is a cool guy (Now that he's sobered up) I've heard of many cool things like this he's done. I think it'd be cool to chill with him someday.

I remember when James was in rehab and Dave kept posting on the MetallicA BB to give us some optimism.

Even now, some of the sh*t that James/MetallicA says in regard to Jason/Dave irks me. Dave is an amazing musician and I'm very proud to say I'm a Megadeth fan and that I've had the pleasure of being a part of that experience. Personally, I think Dave should be joining MetallicA on stage to be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame later this year.

Last I heard, Jason has an open invite (as does Bob Rock) but Dave does not. That's bull$h! IMO.

I'm also really getting sick of Slayer bashing MetallicA. Just the other day (after MetallicA pushed hard for Slayer to be included in Guitar Hero: MetallicA) Tom (Slayer's lead singer) was talking $h! about the new MetallicA album, saying it was monotonous and boring (ahem.. Yeah, keep in mind that all of Slayer's stuff sounds the same for 20 years now) based on ONE song he had "suffered" through from the new album.

Give me a break :rolleyes:

James has whispered about wanting to do a "Bay Area Thrash Reunion Tour" which would presumably include MetallicA, Slayer, Anthrax, Testament, Exodus and Megadeth. I'd be ALL OVER something like that!!!! :metal:

I got into Metallica around '98 too...which was 8th grade for me. I think Fuel was the first song by them that I heard and knew who it was. Then over the next couple years I discovered the back catalog. S&M was my first, Reload my second, and Master my third.

I'm kinda glad that Mustaine formed Megadeth though. People always like to wonder "what would they have been like if Dave had stayed on..." but Megadeth has its own flavor that I enjoy.

I never really got into Slayer, and I don't know why. I have Raining Blood and that's it. I have quite a bit of stuff from every other one of the big thrash bands from that era, but Slayer never was one of them.