Price Negotiation Help

Ok...so as it happens I came across someone who is parting out their `99 300M. He says the motors good and only has 30k on it (not sure if that's the car or just the engine yet).

He said he's willing to negotiate a price for the whole car minus what he's parting out. What I want to know is what is a good price and if it's worth the effort.

It's located RI, so it means 2-3 hours to drive down there to look at it, 2-3 back. The problem is getting it back if I were to buy it. I don't know what tow rates are but I image that would cost a lot.

Junkyard is offering me $650 for a complete engine drop...I have to go down and look the engine over still.

So the question is, what would be a reasonable offer to throw at him? Or should I just pass on it for now?

Without knowing any details on the car's condition, I would say that the salvage value of a '99 300M should be your absolute ceiling, ie what you offer him should be less. Doing some rough calculations using your ZIP code, I've estimated the salvage value to be roughly $3300. I'd keep $3000 in my head and work down from there. Since he's pulling out some parts for himself, that gives you leeway in negotiations as you're not getting a whole car. What is he planning on pulling? Once he's done stripping it, will it have the ALL the parts, mechanical and cosmetic, that you'd want to put in the Intrepid? If you have that info, that would help in shaping your offer.

Ok so This is what I was planning to ask:

I haven't yet. So I have a few questions if you don't mind.

Why is it being parted out? Totaled or Mechanical?

If mechanical what's the issue?

Of totaled where was it hit?

What trim level is this 300M? (as well as notable options)

What parts have already been taken off?

What parts are left that you plan to sell?

Can the engine still be started and run?

Is there documentation of work done to the car?

Should I make an offer for the engine or whole car now, ask him what price he's looking for, wor wait until he responds to this round of questions?

Anything else I should ask?

Wait until he responds to this round of questions and get some pics if you can. Buying sight unseen is always risky business so it's best to arm yourself with as much info as you can.

Also, do you have the room to part out the car? I know some cities don't like people having dead cars in their driveway for extended periods of time.

I have a spot in the garage if I move the Shadow out...although it would be a tight fit. I'm not sure what our city's official stance is, but i know someone complained about the parts Shadow that was in the driveway a few years back. It''s total BS since this city is a &#036;h&#33;hole anyway. <_<

Taking an engine from a 300M and putting it in an Intrepid will likely complicate a swap. That is what your doing right? Even though they are similar, there are still most likely going to be some minor differences between the 2 that could make it a real headache. Have you read about anyone doing similar swaps?

Taking an engine from a 300M and putting it in an Intrepid will likely complicate a swap. That is what your doing right? Even though they are similar, there are still most likely going to be some minor differences between the 2 that could make it a real headache. Have you read about anyone doing similar swaps?

That's the beauty of it. Chrysler used the same specs for its engines and transmissions for all LH cars. The only thing (and it's a biggie) is that I have to match model year ranges. In my case it has to be 1998-2001

If I were to get 2002-2004 it would complicate things because Chrysler made several changes to the engine and related systems...so I'm avoiding that headache and sticking to my range.

Yes I've read about people using Concordes, LHS's and 300Ms (as well as other Intrepids) as the donor for the swap to their Concordes and Intrepids.

That's the beauty of it. Chrysler used the same specs for its engines and transmissions for all LH cars. The only thing (and it's a biggie) is that I have to match model year ranges. In my case it has to be 1998-2001

If I were to get 2002-2004 it would complicate things because Chrysler made several changes to the engine and related systems...so I'm avoiding that headache and sticking to my range.

Yes I've read about people using Concordes, LHS's and 300Ms (as well as other Intrepids) as the donor for the swap to their Concordes and Intrepids.

That's good then. I know GM is not as simple between their engines and cars, such as 3.8s in say, a Grand Prix compared to a Regal.

That's good then. I know GM is not as simple between their engines and cars, such as 3.8s in say, a Grand Prix compared to a Regal.

Yeah, this is one of those cases where it makes you glad the automaker didn't bother to change the powertrain between cars. :)

Eww....needs head gasket.

Thisis what the sellr replied to me today:

The reason why I'm selling it for parts is because I would not be able to get much for it in it's present condition. It's never been in an accident. It needs a transmission or speed sensor, calipers,brakes,rims, air conditioner pulley, right front tie rod and It needs a windshield.What do you mean by trim level? The engine should be fine. It just needs a battery. There hasn't been any parts taken off yet.

Please give a contact phone number to discuss this further

Screw the Concorde I posted. I think you can get this 300M for $1000, possibly less.