Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Satty

Control arm bushings

12 posts in this topic

Before the Buick was parked for its (seemingly never-ending) heart transplant, it was squealing badly. Brake pads, duh. I'm going to replace the pads and rotors tomorrow, I figure that as long as I'm going to be playing down there, I'd do the bushings. Is there an easy way to get them out?

Before the Buick was parked for its (seemingly never-ending) heart transplant, it was squealing badly. Brake pads, duh. I'm going to replace the pads and rotors tomorrow, I figure that as long as I'm going to be playing down there, I'd do the bushings. Is there an easy way to get them out?

Control arm bushings? That's a job and a half. As WMJ mentioned, torch 'em and chisel them out. If you removed the control arm completely, you could get them pressed out. In a lot of cars, that means undoing a ball joint or tie rod end, which, if sufficiently worn would require replacement, as well.

On my Caprice I have a bad upper control arm bushing. I found it easier to go to the junkyard and grab an arm with good bushings in it.

There is NOTHING easy about control arm bushings.

I will never do them again without a press - get friendly with a machine shop that has one.

New control arms is an idea that has crossed my mind....

Oooo, nice answer!

Tubular and pre-assembled.

I like it.

Huh- my Buick has threaded bushings... Oh well, guess that's just another example of 'progress'... :wink:

Did the brakes, that was easy. While I was down there, I looked everything over, and yes, installing new control arms is definitely the way to go. Probably be easier to do it before the engine goes back in, just have to get the funds.

I just dropped $300 to have my bushings replaced. Yay me.

All better now?

Yeah... they are a bitch and a half.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room