GM to shut many US plants up to 9 weeks

GM to shut many US plants up to 9 weeks

DETROIT – Two people briefed on the plan say General Motors Corp. will close most of its U.S. factories for up to nine weeks this summer because of slumping sales and growing inventories of unsold vehicles.

The people did not know exactly when the shutdowns would occur, but both say they will include the normal two-week closure in July to change from one model year to the next. Neither person wanted to be identified because workers have not been told of the shutdowns.

GM spokesman Chris Lee would not comment other than to say the company notifies employees before making any production cuts public.

GM is living on $13.4 billion in government loans and faces a June 1 deadline to restructure or seek bankruptcy protection.

Yea I saw this on Yahoo also and like I think everyone, it is expected shutdown due to slow sales. If they due June 1st to July 31st that is exactly 9 weeks. I could see this also stretch into the month of August, but I would think that would hurt them bringing new models to market.

I don't think there was anyone here that did not see this coming.

The question is how much this will help inventories as 9 weeks may not be enough if sales do not improve.

It'll be more in-line with the new, repackaged and re-sized GM.