More break/wheel weight publicity.

http://jalopnik.com/5267582/camaro-pace-ca...ne=true&s=x

now i'm not one to piss and moan about most things, but i have to do some writing in the snow on this one.

Camaro_Wheel_Weights.jpg

can someone please tell me how you can have the need to wine about wheel weights on those massive sets of wheels and meats?

there is NO need for anything more than 18's i mean really. what is your opinion?

My factory forged 18's on my HHR have very little weight on them.

My guess the the tires are just cheap OE tires as usual. GM and most other car comanies want the cheapest tires they can buy. That is why Goodyear and many other tire comanies are pulling out and companies like Hankook are OE now.

There just wheel waits holy $h!. Like previously said theres no need for wheels bigger than 18" anyhow. The 20's make the damn thing sit to high off the ground.

There just wheel waits holy $h!. Like previously said theres no need for wheels bigger than 18" anyhow. The 20's make the damn thing sit to high off the ground.

I heard all wheels/tires have the same height so they all fill up the opening the same. The tire profile changes at least that is what I heard. I would love a V8 powered LS if I could get it, lets just put it that way. So no I don't need 20 inch wheels if I got one, but would have to, so I could get the 6.2.

Am I the only one who could care-less about wheel weights? As long as the car drives, sounds, normal I could care less about the wheel weights.

The weights are stuck on with something like double-sided sticky tape. What happens in four years when they fly off after hitting a pothole?

If the brand new car I bought had that many weights, I'd be wary.

On car's like the Challenger and Camaro the 18's look too small. I suppose if you're stuck in the past and like tiny wheels and giant sidewalls I can see why you might piss and moan about larger wheels. I prefer wheels that are large enough to look proportionate. I haven't seen any wheels over 20" the look good on any car. Some cars the sweet spot is 18-19, some it's smaller since they start off with small wheels.

The weights are stuck on with something like double-sided sticky tape. What happens in four years when they fly off after hitting a pothole?

In 4 years? You'll probably be about ready for some new tires, and the shop had better be balancing the wheels with your new tires... if you shop around, having wheels balanced isn't really that much money. I paid $10/wheel for mount & balance a couple weeks ago.

I had sticky wheel waits on the aftermaket wheels on my 05 Silverado and they never fell off. I washed it every week, and had it in mud, dirt, gravel, bumpy road and they never fell off. People make a big deal over stupid $h!.

On car's like the Challenger and Camaro the 18's look too small. I suppose if you're stuck in the past and like tiny wheels and giant sidewalls I can see why you might piss and moan about larger wheels. I prefer wheels that are large enough to look proportionate. I haven't seen any wheels over 20" the look good on any car. Some cars the sweet spot is 18-19, some it's smaller since they start off with small wheels.

see thats just my gripe. the higher up you step in wheel size the higher the price of meat. in 94 when my dad's z was new it had goodyears on it. when a year and a half later he went to ditch the summer tires for all seasons it was going to be close to $1000 for a set of goodyears out the door. 20's really should be a max. all that weight and tread is a lot of mass thus adding to the balancing problem. take for instance this example

2008 1500 245 70 r17" is $118-121

2008 1500 264 70 r17 is $135-155

2008 1500 18" $125-146

2008 1500 20" $137-185

see i dont get it. i dont understand why the larger wheels are important. is it solely looks? does it equate better ride and handling? width isnt the answer cause i can get just as wide tires for my impala on 15". my dads nova had 50's on a 15". im honestly asking. i have the urge to skin people alive when i see 60's iron with Shaq sized shoes.

Well it does improve the handling because there is less sidewall to be squished. However if the wheels get too big it can effect the ride and even the braking if the car wasn't designed to use whatever size is on it.

Cars like the Camaro, CTS-V, and Challenger all ride on big wheels, but the wheels look right sized on them, and because they were designed to wear them, ride quality doesn't suffer much, if at all compared to the smaller wheels.

Well it does improve the handling because there is less sidewall to be squished. However if the wheels get too big it can effect the ride and even the braking if the car wasn't designed to use whatever size is on it.

Cars like the Camaro, CTS-V, and Challenger all ride on big wheels, but the wheels look right sized on them, and because they were designed to wear them, ride quality doesn't suffer much, if at all compared to the smaller wheels.

well i have to admit that i left the sidewall out of the equation. wide low profile 15-17 do look goofy on a honyotabishi.

personally i dont care about the wheel weights... if they put them facing the inside that is :lol:

Edited by cletus8269

All my after market Rims have had the double stick taped weights and even going 4x4 I have not lost them, yet the edge clamp on weights I have lost going 4x4.

I personally like the tape on weights that go on the inside of the tire. They should have just done a better job of concealing them.

Lazy person who did the balance.