the article that should be printed and passed on

I posted this before but print it out tell poeple what they dont want to hear and what are your comments on this article do you realy think the Toyota Prius get only 36mpg when it advertise 60. Is GM better than Toyota in Fact from this article they are Look at results how come my mothers Pontiac Vibe gets only 104 HP when it advertises 120 HP. (we use a normal shop dyno that has the rollers you drive your car on) but what if poeple who owned a Toyota read this would they think differnt of ther American Job stealing Automobile But what if it wasnt only toyota what about Honda or Kia or Nissian? Even BMW or Benz. I am tired of every week picking up the Sunday news paper and seeing GM recall or Ford Recall or Dodge plant has a issue that my affect the quality of your truck. Where in the Front page do you see 5 employees killed in Toyota factory due to neglect of machinery condition but you hear 1 man killed at GM plant becuase his for example Snap-On Safety belt didnt function as it should somthing that GM is not responsible for but still gets sued and ridiculed for. Also do to poor profits Ford has to lay off employees There is never good news that i see like GM Quailty is overal best or Chreysler is hireing. When will GM Hire my Father has been working for 27 years and he is 45 and he is the youngest ther and says he hasnt seen any one hired in 84' (GM tech Center Warren Powertrain and Profomance Group buildings [right next to the new blue building like the one they show in the comercial for discounts])so will things for detroit ever get better? I hope so.

http://www.tctimes.com/site/news.cfm?newsi...id=494488&rfi=8

Some things never change

There's a Toyota ad running currently that brags about the fact that they have eight manufacturing plants in the U.S. building more than a million vehicles a year. The ad then finishes with some patriotic music and the statement "Toyota - a company that has created over 200,000 U.S. jobs - a company proud to do its small part to add to the landscape of America."

Pass the barf bag please.

Take just four or five minutes to read this article. Read some actual facts about the U.S. auto industry, not the spin put out by those wiley Japanese.

In terms of quality, of Toyota's eight plants, their best quality ranking is 16th. Of the top 10 plants for quality, GM has eight of the top 10 and four of the top five.

And then there's the myth of the happy, teamwork-oriented worker who labors in a unionless paradise surrounded by caring Japanese employers who only have his or her best interest at heart.

Fact: Toyota workers work for less money and are five times more likely than a GM worker to sustain an on-the-job injury and 10 times more likely to be injured seriously enough to lose work days.

Toyota likes to propagate the myth of their commitment to the environment as evidenced by the standard set by the Prius. What you don't hear about are the scores of Prius owners who are extremely unhappy with the performance and mileage of their Prius. Ads claim 60 mpg - the reality is that many Prius owners get about half that mileage - about 36 mpg. GM has five models that get similar mileage to the Prius and carry no price premium like the Prius - but you never read about that.

If GM had a vehicle that advertised 60 mpg but actually delivered 36 mpg, you can bet that it would be front page news, plus a nice segment on 60 Minutes.

But I digress. My point is that there is an incredibly unfair double standard in the media these days. Inexplicably, U.S. bashing has become the fashionable thing to do. There's no better example than the constant warm fuzzy stories churned out regularly about Toyota's legendary teamwork, safety and quality. And yet, the facts simply don't bear this out. The fact is that Toyota gets a free ride from our lazy and complicit media.

But it's time to separate fact from fiction. Toyota is, and has been, waging a very successful PR war with way too much assistance from our media. This results in a skewed viewpoint that dramatically affects how buyers perceive a new car purchase.

For instance, how many of you know that Chevrolet was the best selling passenger car brand in the U.S. last year?

How many of you know that for three years in a row, Cadillac has sold more luxury cars than anyone else - including Lexus and BMW?

How many of you are aware that, according to J.D. Power, GM was the number one multi-line manufacturer in Sales Satisfaction last year? Where was Toyota (including Lexus)? Seventh place.

GM was ranked second in the critical Customer Service Satisfaction index in multi-line manufacturers last year. Where was Toyota? Fifth place.

GM's lowest quality-rated vehicle is the Pontiac Vibe, assembled in California by - you guessed it - Toyota.

While Toyota is wrapping itself in the American flag with paid advertisements and help from our incompetent media, GM, Ford and Chrysler manufactured over 75 percent of all vehicles built in the U.S. last year. And their average domestic content is 82 percent. Toyota's is 40 percent (Lexus is 3 percent).

Every 100 GM, Ford or Chrysler vehicles produced in the U.S. supports the livelihood of 23 full-time workers. Conversely, every point share gained by Toyota represents 18,000 lost American jobs and countless profit dollars that are shipped overseas to Japan.

I am not suggesting that GM, Ford or Chrysler needs your charity, but I am suggesting that you should know the facts before you buy.

In the book "Ghost Soldiers," the author recounts the story of the Bataan Death March. When the Americans arrived at their destination with over half of them dead due to unspeakable cruelties from their captors, the camp commander stood on a box and shouted, "You Americans are the enemy, you will always be the enemy, one hundred years from now we will still be enemies."

What has changed since then?

Think about that the next time you go to buy a Toyota.

Statistics excerpted from GM President John Smith's remarks to GM dealers, March 2005. Opinions offered in If I Were King are the author's alone and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the Tri-County Times or its staff. E-mail the King at [email protected].

©Tri-County Times 2005

Is it true i belive so but will one article change the mind of millions of poeple no.

AND NO I DONT BASH FORIEGN CARS IN EVERY POST JUST THEY LIVE UP TO A GOOD BASHING :P

but i think toyota can get a big :Toyota: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Its long i know but its entertaining reading!

Hmm....sounds to me like GM has some touting to do....

Cort, "Mr Road Trip" / soon2be ex-"Mr MC", 31swm/pig valve/pacer
MCfamily.models.HO.chdQB = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/
MC Guide = http://www.chevyasylum.com/mcspotter/main.html
IL & area MCs = http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/imcog/
MC's future = http://www.projectmonte.com/petition/
"I'm fading away" ... Simple Plan ... 'Untitled'

I bealieve it. I've been saying stuff like this since I got my drivers license and was driving a 1994 Sunbird.

capricman: If you feal this way, why did you buy the Toyota vibe? I have no resentment for Toyota. The article complains that 40% of their cars are built in the U.S. Certainly that is better than none and not that far behind GM. I buy all GM cars/trucks because I like them and consider them dependable, etc.

capricman: If you feal this way, why did you buy the Toyota vibe?  I have no resentment for Toyota.  The article complains that 40% of their cars are built in the U.S. Certainly that is better than none and not that far behind GM. I buy all GM cars/trucks because I like them and consider them dependable, etc.

[post="3727"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

see i didn't buy a vibe my mother did and she said it was slower then she thinks it should be. so i took it up to a dyno at my shop i work at. she bought it in 03' because that was the car that suited her needs best the malibu maxx wasnt out or the then concept hhr wasnt out so she bought the car that sadly has the pontiac emblem on a toyota.

i drive a 1990 caprice classic there is a picture of it in my avatar or whatever.

im glad someof you poeple agree that GM should start marketing this stuff.

Look at results how come my mothers Pontiac Vibe gets only 104 HP when it advertises 120 HP. (we use a normal shop dyno that has the rollers you drive your car on)

[post="3562"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Factory horsepower figures are always recorded at the flywheel. Dynometers record the amount of power that is transmitted to the ground. The Dyno number is lower because, in between the flywheel and the tires, there are a number of mechanical pieces that drain power (transmission, torque converter, etc.).

All automakers do this.

I just test drove a base Vibe two nights ago and found it had plenty power. Solid car, too. This "article" really isn't news. It's an opinion piece so there's quite a bit more spinning of facts than your normal news article. Don't believe everything you read and that goes for both sides.

I just test drove a base Vibe two nights ago and found it had plenty power.  Solid car, too.

This "article" really isn't news.  It's an opinion piece so there's quite a bit more spinning of facts than your normal news article.  Don't believe everything you read and that goes for both sides.

[post="3834"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

How is this an opinion piece when most of it is factual evidence?

[post="3878"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It's an opinion piece.....if you are an import fanboy! :lol:

Import fans will simply just ignore any factual data you show them, and will resort to saying things like "but the Big 3 built so many bad cars in the 80's", or "the Big 3 doesn't build cars that people want". What the hell does that have to do with Toyota's raping of this country?

Japan's relationship with the U.S is symbiotic. They need us as much as we need them, perhaps even more. For example, don't think for a second that, if U.S naval forces pulled out of Japan, China would hesitate to blow Japan off the map. Perhaps more to the point: what do you think would happen to the Japanese economy is we suddenly banned or put high tariffs on all their imports? Of course Toyota wants to succeed in America. It's only, you know, THE BIGGEST CAR MARKET IN THE WORLD!!! If you owned a successful business with the chance to expand to a much bigger market with much higher demand, would you let that opportunity go? Not bloody likely.

While Toyota does have a bit of arrogance among their ranks, it isn't really their fault that their products have developed a sheep-like following in the U.S. They build good products, the press starts giving them good reviews, people start buying their products and never find a reason to look outside of Toyota again. Before Toyota came, it was exactly the same way: You bought a Ford or a Chevy or a Dodge, and, from that day forward, you were a Ford or a Chevy or a Dodge person. It didn't matter that Chrysler offered a sophisticated push-button transmission, because you were a Buick man. There was no need to even think about Chryslers. You wanna make the world a better place? Start educating people to not to be so foolishly loyal and to look at the alternatives. It's the only way.

Can the Japanese be arrogant, and ignorant of their past? Yes... But so can anyone. And, frankly, I don't see what how that 60 year-old wartime quote is remotely relevant today. It was obviously put into that article for dramatic effect, just like a plot twist in a sitcom. Are there people in Japan who think America is the enemy? Probably. Are there people in Japan who dislike America(ns)? Definetely. But they're not in the majority, and they realize America are a neccessary evil.

Remember this, C&G readers: When you give up your discernment to be a critic of GM, you're no better than any Import fanboy. And I, for one, won't bother reading your posts.

I couldn't agree more Petra!! In fact some Jappense Prasied are troops when they were sent in to reconsturt Japan. I had some debate of puting that last quote in but its apart of the srotry. It is factual look at the results from consummer reports. Also there is fact that GM CEO are Surrounded with "yes" men! Another Fact is Ford rushed with the GT car and is no suffering for it. ALL AUTO COMPANIES HAVE GOOD AND BAD JUST YOU TEND TO LOOK AT THE GOOD FOR THE COMPANY YOU LIKE AND THE BAD FOR THE COMPANY YOU HATE. being rasied in a automotive family its hard not being byist but i no that Toyota does make cars that are GOOD they sell dont they. but i would never buy a Toyota because i have family members that work for the big 3 and i want to support them. Also thats not true about all cars on dynos a GTO is rated at 400 on are dyno it ran at 401 so and the G6 was underrated to. also the SS Sliverado was underated so why is it that the vibe is overated? and it only has 24,000 so i dont think it would lose compression or any thing Its just intresting i thought Edited by capriceman

[post="3878"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It may contain factual evidence but no newspaper, if they enjoy what credability they have left, would never print the line "Pass the barf bag, please" in an actual news story. Buy a copy of your local paper and see if they use any phrase even remotely close to that in a news article. A hint this was an opinion piece: "Opinions offered in If I Were King are the author's alone and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the Tri-County Times or its staff."

We've covered everything the author talked about from the Prius not obtaining the EPA U.S. GOVERNMENT-CERTIFIED, ADVERTISED BY EVERY MANUFACTURER mpg numbers (like 90% of the cars sold in this country) to the droning of "buy ONLY American cars (not any other product)."

I like how he casually doesn't mention Chrysler's earnings are shipped over to Germany or how the domestic parts content in Ford and GM cars have dropped over the years while the DPC in Toyota cars has risen (how many jobs were lost because of that?).

I don't dispute the fact that the press seems content on putting Toyota up on a pedestal while it beats GM and Ford to death. It bothers me, I don't like it and I don't agree with it. I also don't agree with the liberal bent in the press (maybe that's why there's all the American-made car bashing?) but I deal with it. GM should take the power away from the press and market its awards directly to the public, like it has been doing. Maybe it should form a website to debunk various articles, tv news clips, etc. immediately after the public reads/sees them? Therefore there is virtually no lag between the biased press reports and GM's response.

Edit: Another idea. Erect giant JD Power awards outside GM dealerships. Edited by sciguy_0504

I don't dispute the fact that the press seems content on putting Toyota up on a pedestal while it beats GM and Ford to death.  It bothers me, I don't like it and I don't agree with it.

[post="3994"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

i agree to I think ALL Automobile companies should be bashed for there mistakes and praised for there accomplishments and right doings.

Lets be fair

You are right about DPC. Also how DCX profits are shipped overseas but there is a lot of american employees still that work for DCX (i bet more American DCX employees than Toyota American employees).

I say in my lifetime Amricans will be driving cars made in Iraq and China! <_<

I say in my lifetime Amricans will be driving cars made in Iraq and China! <_<

[post="4200"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Dear God I Hope not!!

What is it every time we go to war they make cars for us after it? Japan, Germeny, Korea!

You are right about DPC. Also how DCX profits are shipped overseas but there is a lot of american employees still that work for DCX (i bet more American DCX employees than Toyota American employees).

[post="4023"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

More than double, even though Toyota will probably have a larger US market share than Chrysler Group by the time the year is up (if it doesn't already).

Way to reward Toyota for carrying the least amount of American employees as possible.