Metasequoia glyptostroboides

Hmm.. Metasequoia glyptostroboides. Meta prefix means 'information about'... so it's something used to describe a Toyota Sequoia--like a type of catalog or something? :)

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Here's the deal:

The tree is the Dawn Redwood.

The first unusual thing about it is that it is a deciduous conifer. Meaning that, unlike most conifers (pine, spruce, fir, etc.) it is not evergreen. The Dawn Redwood turns a copper color in the late fall and drops its leaves for the winter.

The second unusual thing about the Dawn Redwood is that it is one of the oldest living species of tree in the world. In fact, the entire genus (metasequoia) was thought to be extinct until the 1940s when a grove was discovered in China. The tree really is a "living fossil", and only this one species is known to exist outside of the fossil record.

It's one of my favorite trees.

That is very interesting, got a few photos of it? I had no idea a deciduous conifer existed.

I haven't found many good pics on the web yet.

There are other deciduous conifers (Bald Cypress, Larch, etc.) but not many.

I'm going to look again for good pics.

I prefer Taxodium distichum, the North American Bald Cypress. One of the few deciduous conifers of North America, Bald Cypress is a large tree to over 100 feet tall and a straight trunk to 8 feet in diameter, with numerous ascending branches. Young trees display a narrow, conical outline, but old trees have a swollen, fluted base, a slowly tapering trunk, and a broad, open, flat top. In swamps they develop distinctive woody growths from the root system called "knees."

This tree is a native of the southeast United States, from Texas to Delaware. I have 3 on my property in Delaware because they remind me of Texas. I have noticed them creeping into Chester and Delaware counties Pennsylvania, I suppose that's because the climate is warming, not sure.

Bald Cypress Tree

baldcypress1.jpg

Bald Cypress Cone

baldcypresscone.jpg

Delaware has the Northern most Cypress Swamp

baldcypressswampdelawar.jpg

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

Wow.... cool stuff.

Always nice to learmn something new at random.

This is the kind of stuff that makes C&G fun,

unprovoked tangents we go on just for the $h!s

& giggles. It's why Al Gore invented the internet

one day back in 1992 after feasting on a Spotted

Owl Sandwich & shooting a Right Whale in the

face with a forked harpoon.

Do you have fascination for pines and conifers? Isn't that a Japanese pine?

Not really, but Sciadopitys was once considered to a member of the same family as Metasequoia. I actually like mamy, many, types of woody plants.

And yes, it is Japanese and commonly called a pine - but it isn't actually a pine. In fact, it has its own family all by itself.