-

Bobo stole my guess... but I'll guess Buick Skylark then. ;)

Posted Image

IIRC 1981 was the last year of the coupe. Quick Story: Being the whacked out functionally retarded Cr nut that I am I often buy the WantAdvertiser just to tease myself. One time I'm flipping through one and see a 1983 Chevy Malibu Seadn for sale. 305 Auto... blue excellent condition for $500. I call the lady up[ she says she is 73 years old and can no longer drive. The car has 30K original mile and a tiny amount of TLC is needed and the paint is faded. She lives out in Marthas Vineyard (island off of Cape Cod) and the car is garaged. It does not have the typical rot of a car driven around a saltwater beach since she's not right by the ocean but says that her grandkids do not want to car. To look at it I'l have to take the ferry over to Marthas Vineyard but I will not be dissapointed for $500.00 One owner and in mint condition. I was broke at the time and Marcia was still pregnant wiht Sofia so I could not justify going to look at the car. Had neither the time or the money. But I've always regreted it. I had dreams of dropping a smallbclock stroker into that sucker and not having to worry about emissions. (1983 is the last year of no sniff test in MAss) Eventually if I had the money I would have made the 1980s equivelant of a Copo Camaro. The ultimate Sleeper. 502 crate engine and M22 in a 100% stock looking Malibu sedan.

O.K. Sixty8Panther,
eat your heart out!

This one used to blow away BMW's and M-B C class oponents.
It was called the "Stealth Bomber". It's only giveaway was the sound of the exhaust, accompanied by the two big pipes sticking out the rear corners.(Sigh)

Posted Image

Well, it's a '79, of course. It has the smaller rectangular wraparound on the taillights. The '78 had a slanted end. The '80 had a taller rectangular end, and the '81 had different lens graphics, but the same wraparound. The '78 and '79 had similar front side markers, the '80 had bigger, thin-trimmed side markers, and the '81 had a wider chrome surround molding. The grilles are different for each year as well. Edited by ocnblu

Okay Mr. Malibu know-it-all, ocnblu, What year did Chevrolet convert the major hardware on the Malibu's to metric? This is one that will frustrate you every time you go to work on one!

78 is when they went like half and half or something. I have a 78 olds regency and a 79 Z28 and its a pain always having to go back to the tool box for a a different socket or wrench. I wonder what genius thought up that . I remember in school years ago the teachers telling us every thing would be metric someday. I am still buying gallons of milk and gas.

1981 is when the major conversion took place. But there were still exceptions. I think it came down to how much of what hardware they had left! Another triva bit----- although the down-sized "G" body came out in 1978, (formerly the "A" body), they did not convert the interior design to support stereo audio systems until 1981! Look at the dash speaker grill systems. '78- '80 had single center-mount locations. '81 thru '83 had 2 spkr openings at each end of the dash. Last one to use the "G" sedan body ---- Oldmobile Cutlass, up to 1987. El Camino's too, but with some differences. This was still the best size body that GM ever offered as a sedan!----- and the one that they should bring back, IMO! :rolleyes: :(

I bought an '80 9C1 at an auction for a friend of mine. It had a single front speaker and a single rear speaker, both on the centerline of the car. My 1981 9C1 had the twin speakers, both front and rear. I never saw a '79, but were the speakers on yours flush with the dash cover & rear parcel shelves, or did they stick up, like after-market? On the ones that I mentioned, the vinyl was perforated & the speakers mounted from the rear! What a PITA!!!