Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
A Horse With No Name

Pontiac Motor in a GMC?

7 posts in this topic

Does anyone here have any info on Pontiac V8's in GMC trucks in the 50's? I know they did it...just don't know the when and where.

Any info?

Chris

I'd take a wild guess at them using the Poncho engines in the GMC version of the Cameo.

Thanks for the link, Y-J. Anyone with any more info on the GMC trucks of this era?

Chris

Edited by 66Stang

YJ's post was very good, as Pontiac supplied the V8 engines for GMC trucks from '55-59 - though you wouldn't want to put one of those V8s into a Pontiac car. The engines were tuned for truck use - more low-end torque for pulling and hauling rather than off-the-line performance. You might want to check this site out too for more info: link

Thanks for the link, GMCTruckGuy74...

Chris

My source says GMC used Pontiac V-8s as the optional engine '55-57 inclusive, only.

In '58, GMC started using their own 336 CI V-8. The bottom-row 'linked' truck on the '58 page in GMTG's link mentions the 336.

There is some later-day confusion here, because at least 1 model '58 GMC (HD) was the '370', and featured that badge in the grille. Coincidentally, Pontiac's V-8 in '58 displaced 370 CI. But no 370s or 389s in GMC trucks as a regular production option.

In '60, GMC bucked the national trend by dropping the V-8 altogether, and offering either the established I-6, or their proprietory, brand-new 305 CI V-6. Note that this preceeded the cursory 'grandfather' of the V-6, Buick, by 1 year.

-- -- -- -- --

The wiki engine link is mostly right: where it's subheaded "Pontiac/GMC...", it does not specify which years GMCs used PMD mills... but below that the individual engine bullets are correct WRT where they were used except for 1: the "288" was in fact the PMD 287 - whether that was a GMC advertising thing, IDK. '55 Pontiac = 287.2 CI, 3.75 bore x 3.25 stroke. GMC spec is the same. I should go fix that...

Edited by balthazar

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room