2009 BMW 7 Series

HarleyEarl

Posted Image
Posted Image

Best look yet at BMW's next-generation 7 Series
By Phil Lienert Email

Date posted: 12-19-2005

We haven't seen the 2009 BMW 7 Series, but we know people who have a good idea of what it's going to look like. They put together these renderings based on their insider knowledge to give us a peek at what we can expect from BMW's next flagship sedan.

Clear from these pictures, the radical design of the current model has been toned down for the 2009 7 Series. The 2006 7 Series already softened some of the harder edges that offended so many BMW loyalists, but this design will go even further.

The most obvious difference between this conceptual 2009 7 Series and the current version is the shape of the rear end. Forget the old Bangle Butt, as it was so callously called, this 7's tail section will have a much smoother design that better integrates into the car's overall lines. Although the face of the '09 7 Series does not look dramatically different from that of the '06 model, it appears that BMW will likely replace the current semi-rectangular headlamps with a more elliptically shaped set. The taillamps also appear to have been altered in keeping with the vehicle's slimmed-down rear end.

As conservative as the '09 7 Series appears on the surface, this next-generation version of the vehicle is expected to house the sort of progressive features beneath its skin that BMW loves. The cabin will likely feature a wider range of electronic systems with a more user-friendly layout than that of the 2006 7 Series. The clunky iDrive system will stay, but it will get yet another revision for better usability.

Expect a greater use of active safety features, incorporating everything from cameras to radars in the name of accident avoidance, as well.

Since BMW has officially partnered with DaimlerChrysler and GM on development of a hybrid drive system, don't be surprised to see a gas-electric version of this 7 Series added to the lineup.

Look for both a short- and long-wheelbase version of the 2009 BMW 7 Series toward the end of the 2008 calendar year.

Hey it looks like they took a huge turkey baster and managed to extract about 82% of the "ChrisBangle" out of the Seven. I actaully did not hate the Bangle Seven series. Yeah it had some strange styling elements but like I have said before I'll take love-it-or-hate-it styling over ANOTHER "Camcordpala" This thing looks tooo feminine IMHO. (and for what it's worth my G/F LOVES the current 7, esp. in black)

That's a pretty bad chop. It's clearly a 3-Series that's streched and modified but it doesn't even look bigger than the 5er. Cadillac needs to keep in mind that the ULS needs to compete with the next-gen 7-Series, A8, et al, not the current gen, because by the time it finally gets here they will almost all be replaced.

Hmm, well I guess it's not a 3-Series base, but it looks like a streched 3-Series to me. I'd like to see the 7-Series be a little different from the rest of BMWs. When the current one came out it was different enough, but the refresh just made it look like any other BMW. That's not a bad thing, I just think a $80k car should look significantly different (other than in size) than a car starting around $30k.

I see they're adopting the McBenz way of styling - small, medium, and large.

[post="61750"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That's what I like about Bangle... he got rid of the one-sausage-different-lengths. Now we have a Cubist X3, Surrealist 5-series, and Frank Gehry interiors...

seem's like their running out of idea's... oh well, I lean more towards a Thumbs down. Then again, I haven't seen the real thing, but until then, based on these pictures, my opinion stay's. I'd perfer the 3's front end, revised a tad... to be put 7's, it make's more sense... lol.

Posted Image Edited by KaliRover

That's what I like about Bangle... he got rid of the one-sausage-different-lengths. Now we have a Cubist X3, Surrealist 5-series, and Frank Gehry interiors...

[post="61761"][/post]

Surrealist, sleek, strange ...call it whatever you want I think the current 5-series is the besst looking BMW in the past 10 years. Only the original Z3 compared for striking eegance.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm with Sixty, I love the 5 Series. You see it and immediately know what it is. This next-gen 7 doesn't even look like it's all-new. It looks like a reskin, some styling changes. I don't find it attractively, especially the rear.

Definitely to each their own... I hate the 5-series. It's about as beautiful as fat, hairy ass. If you like that... fine with me, but keep it away from me. Yuck.... :D If you have to have a Bangled Bimmer, the 6-series (specifically, the M6 coupe) is the way to go if your name starts with B, ends with 1, and rhymes with "back viper ate ate mine won". But in any case... Bangled Bimmers are bad. I'll take any pre-Bangle Bimmer... :P

Ya, I find the 5-Series very ugly. I'd much rather have an Audi A6, Cadillac STS, or even the Chrysler 300C.