Solstice expected to ding Miata sales

By James B. Treece
Automotive News / August 26, 2005

http://www.autonews.com/news.cms?newsId=13156

TOKYO -- Mazda Motor Corp. is predicting that Europe will replace North America as the largest market for the redesigned 2006 MX-5 Miata. It blames the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky roadsters.

With fewer competitors to contend with, the Miata sold more strongly in North America, says Daniel Morris, Mazda's senior managing executive officer in charge of marketing, sales and customer service. That is no longer true. Now the MX-5 will have to take on General Motors' new roadsters.

The 2006 Solstice went on sale this month. The Sky follows in the spring.

The redesigned MX-5 has been trickling into showrooms in the United States for weeks. Morris says a marketing push will begin next month.

Mazda predicts that about 45 percent of MX-5 sales will be in Europe, or roughly 18,000 a year. North America will sell about 40 percent, or about 16,000. Sales in Japan will come to about 10 percent, or 4,000. The remainder will be sold elsewhere, mostly in Asia.

Last year, Mazda sold 9,356 Miatas in the United States. GM is planning to sell 20,000 Solstices and 20,000 Skys in the United States.

The MX-5's base sticker price is $20,995. The Solstice starts at $19,995. Both prices include shipping.

Europe is the only market that will sell an MX-5 powered by a 1.8-liter engine. That is to meet tax incentives in markets for cars with engines smaller than 2.0 liters. Everywhere else, the MX-5 will come only with a 2.0-liter engine.

Mazda plans to use the same MX-5 TV commercial around the globe "with just minor tweaks," Morris says. The global commercial is possible because the car fits Mazda's global image.

The Miata, says Morris, "was zoom-zoom before we knew we were zoom-zoom."

Not to take anything away from the Solstice and Sky as they are fine cars but as Morris says, it's just logic that the Miata will have decreased sales now that there are more competitors. Coincidentally, I just got my issue of Autoweek with the Solstice review and from what I scanned over they seem to think it's praiseworthy.

Not to take anything away from the Solstice and Sky as they are fine cars but as Morris says, it's just logic that the Miata will have decreased sales now that there are more competitors.

But didn't the miata sell like 90K in the beginning?? Sales have declined steadily ever since with no competition in sight. 9 thousand last year?? Yikes! I wonder if that's more the product than neccessarily the market?

The Miata has always been limited in sales in the States to keep up demand. I would have to check but I think I read they averaged around 17,000-22,000 units per year here. If you over sell a 2 seater your only killing future short term sales. There were a lot of mistakes in the Fiero program and selling 130,000 Fiero's the first year was on of the biggest. As for Miata competitors in Europe, can anyone say Opel!! Edited by hyperv6

Exactly, Hyper. I would venture to say the turnover rate for convertibles and especially roadsters is far lower than a standard automobile. The appeal is in the open top, not necessarily the latest and greatest features. By limiting sales of their cars, Mazda and GM are ensuring that demand will always be a requisite amount higher than supply, a good thing with a niche vehicle.

I think one thing that may have hurt the Miata was that they never updated the damn thing. My uncle has a '92, and he was never interested in getting a new one because he said they look almost like the one he already has. He said he's looked at the Solstice on the internet and he likes it pretty well.

The Miata has always been limited in sales in the States to keep up demand. I would have to check but I think I read they averaged around 17,000-22,000 units per year here.

Found these numbers:

U.S. sales (calendar year)::
1990: 35,944
1991: 31,240
1992: 24,964
1993: 21,481
1994: 21,400

1996: 18,408
1997: 17,218

2004: 9,356

SO yes; sales have declined steadily since the first full year on sale... just not as much as I had thought (tho still significant).

Number I had in mind was calendar year world production 1990: 95,640

All courtesy of the very confusing >http://www.miata.net/faq/production.html<