Since the Turbo ECOtec is coming........

When I just read the specs on the Turbo Ecotec for the solstice it got me thinking since this motor is probally gonna take over the S/C in the High Preformance it got me wondering when will the engine take over and when what improvements will be made to the car to compensate for age and the preformance gap between a 2.4 and a 2.0 turbo. I figure the Cobalt will get this engine in 2008 then again 2007 is a possibility but I think Chevy will wait 4 years so they can give the Cobalt a refresh. Will the Ecotec line stay the same? Will the 2.2 and 2.4 ecotec still have the same power as they have now when the vehicle is refreshed. How will DI technology coming to the ecotec effect the lesser engines in the Cobalts lineup? Could we see a 210 HP direct injection 2.4 Ecotec? Or could we see the Supercharged version stay around? Also will the base SS model stick around (which I hope does!)? If direct injection is applied across the board I could see all of the ecotec engines at least get 15hp increase...... What are your thoughts and what do you think will happen?

Anyone think if a NA 2.4L will benefit from the DI? May sound realistic, but maybe pull numbers near 200? I know at least several other applications is really in need of the boost (read: G6) and the Cobalt SSes (non-SC) will really be pocket rockets and can shut the HP/L morons up. Edited by ToniCipriani

Anyone think if a NA 2.4L will benefit from the DI? May sound realistic, but maybe pull numbers near 200?

I know at least several other applications is really in need of the boost (read: G6) and the Cobalt SSes (non-SC) will really be pocket rockets and can shut the HP/L morons up.

[post="62569"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It could easily do 200hp with direct injection or not.

Remember the Acura RSX has a 205hp 2.4L.

Its a question of will, money ect. GM is always big on a nice fat torque curve and does not go for real high rpm power--not like Toyota and Honda.

While my 2.4L SS has VVT---I suspect its a very mild system that does little to optimize a high hp number. More for torque and emissions I bet

171hp is good but I would sure like to see close to 200hp. Tweak the VVT add direct injection, change the cams is about all it would take.

Also keep in mind that the turbo 2.4L ecotec is being made for the solstice/sky platform, which is RWD. Putting it in a FWD platform would take more work. Not tons, but as a manufacturer, GM would have to go through a lot more work than Joe Tuner to put it on there from the factory. I suspect GM might call the availability of a supercharger on the FWD platform "good enough". We can always hope they do it, though. :)

I don't see the turbo in the Cobalt, I do see DI in the SC putting out 220HP. How much HP do we need in a econo car?

[post="62413"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

there will never be enough :P B)