The Dreaded Red X

• 3 months later...
ive got the same problem but when i go on in school, the computers there work fine with smilies and everything else

As before, everything loads fine for me. My earlier suggestion in this thread of deleting temporary internet files doesn't work?

[post="119560"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Nope, deleted the temp files with no joy. As another stated, displays fine at work (all .gif pics including smilies) but craps out and displays the "X" everywhere else.

Using IE and WinXP.
Can't figure out what is set diffrent; no joy finding anything in the security section so far either.

?????

Allen

• 4 months later...

If you are using Norton Personal Firewall (the culprit for me), here's what to do- assuming it is the same version (2002 and up).

Open the program (right click on the icon in the system tray and select Norton Personal Firewall), go to the "Options" icon at the top.

Next under the General Tab, select Advanced Options.

Select the Web tab (if not already selected) and click "Add Site"

Type in "www.cheersandgears.com" and click Ok

Next, check the box "Use these rules for www....."

Select permit for all of the options.

Hope this helps. If not, drop me a line and I can figure it out with you. :thumbsup:

Edited by RMC_SS_LDO

Not doing anything wrong, you just have a newer version that I am not as familiar with. Check the same screen you were at, but look under the "Firewall" tab....

Your version will have a section to set exceptions and policies for specific sites, we just need to find it!

If you can edit ur last post deleting the last pic and just post a pic of the main screen, I may be able to decipher for 'ya.

Just find out who has the pull to have GM offer a CTS-D with AWD with that new line of diesels that were announced, and I'll try to help with the 'puter issues!

Edited by RMC_SS_LDO

I have been trying to find the documentation, but it is a little vague.

I hope this helps, but I am flying a little blind here so bear with me....

As far as I can tell, open the program and double click where is says "Personal Firewall"

Select the "Advanced" tab, then click "General"

- Here's where I'm a bit fuzzy- Look for a "Networking" option and click to open

Click to select "Individually" and type in the web site in the box provided (www.cheersandgears.com).

Click OK. You should be able to edit the permissions for the site from there.

If you can't get it to work, PM me with a phne number. I'll give you a call to try to figure it out together and step you thru it

Norton Firewall is particularly bad software.

There is perfectly good, free firewall software available from ZoneAlarm.

Sure they want you to buy the premium versions, but that just adds unneeded complexity.

Get the free version here.

No red [x] here but I have noticed C&G has been down a LOT

in the past week. I lost a few trivia posts and had to retype

them which pissed me off. :(

Eh...I don't see a networking tab anywhere. Oh well, we're getting DSL here soon, so I'll just wait until then to see if the boost in speed helps. If not, well, I know where to come.

Thanks for the help RMC and others.