Whats the name of the car?

Okay, I'll first off to say i've never seen this vehicle until today... okay, what 1970 rwd, rear engine, 2 seater, with pop-up lights, has a spare tire behind the passenger seat? it might be mid engine, but i'm pretty sure it was rear engine... tell me if you need a few hints... ohh, and I've never seen this automakers vehicles in the USA before. (so i dont know if they were sold here)

SOme Fiat or Renault? :huh:

Agreeing with the above, it was sold in the US as the Fiat X1/9 from the early 1970s through 1981 and then sold as the Bertone X1/9 (imported by Malcolm Bricklin of Subaru and Yugo fame) from 1982 until 1988. Fiat left the US in 1982 but sold a number of models over the years.

The models Fiat was best known for in the U.S. were the 124, Spider, Brava, X 1/9 and Strada. The Brava was a small, somewhat sporty sedan (with a single spoke steering wheel at the 6 o'clock position), and the Strada was an econobox in the mold of a VW Rabbit. I think a diesel engine was offered as an option in the U.S. Lucy on the "Dallas" television show drove an X 1/9 for a while.

Fiat (Bertone) X1/9.

[post="65546"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Those were quite common back int the day... but I could have sworn they came out in the 72/73 era. Maybe those later models with hideous black bumpers make me think post 73. I donno.

There's a local junkyard that has an orange one and a green one... both beyond help. I tore off the pillar emblem off the orange one.... it's sitting in one of dozens of boxes of car emblems, hood ornaments & trim pieces.

Ugh, damn this thread for jarring my horrible childhood memories of a young girl (19-20) who lived on my street that drove a bright yellow one of these things all the way into the late 90's. She used to park it out on the street and I remember dinging a baseball off the hood every now and again. :lol: :lol: I could hardly hold in the laughter when looking at that ugly yellow pile of crap, and she thought it was the greatest thing in the world. She used to fly down the street blasting Aerosmith like she thought it was a friggen Ferrari or something. How could you ever feel cool in one of these POS's when the guy living right next door to you had a '67 Ford Fairlane GT sitting out in his yard under a tree waiting for restoration; now THAT was a cool car. I'm not a Ford guy one single bit, but I liked that thing a lot!

XP: only you! :P