Rolls-Royce Considers Stretch Phantom

Link: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=107031

MONTEREY, Calif. — Rolls-Royce displayed an extended-wheelbase Phantom amid the millionaire-soaked Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance in order to gauge interest in a mega-sized version of the already gargantuan ultraluxury sedan.

The EWB Phantom started life as a bespoke offering to non-U.S. countries. Its initial production run was a mere 5, but when Rolls-Royce received customer orders for 29 EWBs (primarily in the China and Middle East markets), company brass decided to consider homologating the stretch version for the U.S.

The EWB Phantom is stretched 250mm behind the B-pillar, and weighs only 150 pounds more than the standard version. Rolls-Royce claims that the Phantom's aluminum space frame lends itself to extension, and simply requires longer extrusions (as opposed to welding new pieces of metal onto the chassis). The result is virtually no loss of torsional rigidity.

Rolls-Royce executives estimate an additional cost of $40,000-$50,000 for the EWB Phantom, and expect to make a final decision within the next two months.

What this means to you: Unless your last name is Gates or Walton, probably nothing. For the lucky "haves," however, an EWB would take the chauffeured RR experience to another level.

Posted Image

i saw one of those in my area a month or two ago, OMG the thing looks brilliant, a major head turner... I was like is that a 300, no it isnt, is that superman? i looked on the internet for 30 minutes trying to figure out what it was... found it... but yea it looks a lot better in person.

Heh... the RR badge on the side looks like the new GM badges that are being placed on all of GM's vehicles... The first thing I thought of when seeing the pic was "It's made by GM" :lol: I've always liked Rolls. The Phantom does look better in person and puts the Maybach to shame in prestige & presence. Every time I see the Maybach I just think bloated S-Class. I'm sure several S-Class owners think/feel the same.