Sign in to follow this  
gm4life

The Regal Buick Returns!

IMHO the question should be how about OPC hardware for the sporty version? Offering the OPC over there would be way cooler than a 280hp V6 sporty model.

IMO, people like the sporty OPC look - the 20" wheels and Recaros are hot - but I doubt an actual OPC would sell. In European reviews, it doesn't fare as well as the 335i and S4, and here in the US, there are a number of more established, high-performance sedans like the G37 and, up until recently, the G8.

I'm thinking Insignia with an OPC-lite styling package, 2.0T 220 hp engine, sports suspension, and six-speed manual. The 2.8T with AWD guzzles gas like a V8.

Two Autoblogs posts on this today:

The NA Version from Facebook as mentioned earlier in this thread: Link

buick-regal-spy.jpg

And the rumored performance model with a chop: Link

260619-1280_opt.jpg

Wow! That sport chop is HOT!

GM is on a roll with me lately. First the CTS wagon and coupe (and the SRX for my partner), then the Terrain or Equinox (for my partner), then the Caprice if it makes it here in civilian form, and then this Regal GS idea.

GM, if you build the Regal GS to look like this, you'll officially have at least one vehicle from each division that would be on my shopping list!

The first photo is has too much of a generic blandness to it. It would be nice if the sporty looks of the later were used for the full model line. Additional enhancements like lowered suspension and fatter tires could sell the package for a true sport model.

This car still looks so japanese to me...

Very true, almost looks like a Mazda or Hyundai, although I think the new Sonata looks better.

There seems to be a lot of hope that they make this car sporty, but Buick has nearly zero appeal to non-traditional Buick buyers. People who want a sporty car are going to buy a Mazda, Subaru, Nissan, VW, etc, they aren't going to look at Buick, just like that demographic won't look at a Camry. If they try to make this car sporty (in hope of getting former Pontiac owners perhaps) it will be a sales dud. Soft and cushy with good mileage is the way to go.

To me the car has a little German look to it. If it had rings in the grill it could pass for a Audi. I just wish the grill was a little more understated and thank God the ports are removed.

No, It couldn't pass for an Audi. Audi's do not have tacky shark tooth looking vents up front, or flashy body cladding. Audi's are more understated, elegant and classy looking. To me Audi's are a little bland, except for the A5, but a lot of people like a luxury car that isn't flashy and looks like a grown up's car. The Insignia OPC, much like the G6 GXP, looks like it should be in a fast and furious movie.

You'd think GM would have learned by now, but they seem to have a desire to keep repeating the same mistake.

Oldsmobile was to be the import fighter, it went out of business

Catera was an Opel for the U.S., it was a bust

GTO was imported for the U.S., it was a bust

Saturn Astra was in imported Opel, it was a bust

Saturn Aura was inspired by Opel, another bust

Saturn became the import fighter, went out of business

Pontiac G8 was imported, slow sales and Pontiac went out of business.

So now Buick is the import fighter and getting cars from Opel, gee I wonder what will happen to Buick in 4 years.

So much white noise in this thread, posted by smk4565. Anyone who thinks a hot Buick won't sell or won't have appeal has no clue about the brand's potential. Gran Sport, GSX, Grand National, GNX, T-Type, S-Type... all are part of the brand's DNA and were popular, even legendary.

IMO, keeping the brand static will do more to kill it than diversifying it with some sporty offerings mixed in.

I'm going to beat the coupe drum everywhere I can in a Regal thread, as that would be an excellent companion to the sedan.

I am hopeful the silver Facebook sedan is what we get, to start, as it is the cleanest version yet. The fender vents don't fit unless they're styled like ventiports.

The issue is execution and visibility, not positioning. If your idea was taken to its logical conclusion, Chevrolet and Cadillac would be releasing 1967-like models over and over again... and they'd be long gone.

335i and S4 are not Opel's direct competitors and they are certainly not Buick's direct competitors. Even if the Opel/Buick is not as good as those, it is placed lower in the prestige scale.

Very true, almost looks like a Mazda or Hyundai, although I think the new Sonata looks better.

There seems to be a lot of hope that they make this car sporty, but Buick has nearly zero appeal to non-traditional Buick buyers. People who want a sporty car are going to buy a Mazda, Subaru, Nissan, VW, etc, they aren't going to look at Buick, just like that demographic won't look at a Camry. If they try to make this car sporty (in hope of getting former Pontiac owners perhaps) it will be a sales dud. Soft and cushy with good mileage is the way to go.

Because soft and cushy with good mileage has worked so well for Buick lately?

An injection of sport to the lowest (least expensive) Buick will attract younger conservative entry lux buyers.

With the Regal they are trying to give a affordable step up from Chevy without being a straight rebadge with some ground effects and dated ribbing. It is a modern competitive car in the world makret and should do well here.

GM is not forgoing the sport version and options like AWD that you can not get on a Chevy Malibu [at least yet].

This has already been proven to be a car that is well liked in Europe and China so I would think people here will see it in a good way and hopfully start to change their outlook for Buick. The Change of preception of GM and her divisions will be done one model at a time. This is just another step in the way of recovery.

Hyundia has shown that if you make tasteful cars that are affordable, reliable and deliver a lot of car for the money you can grow in the market.

How long ago Hyundia was a joke in the industry and today they are feared by the likes of Honda and Toyota. Yes they also did it a model at a time.

German car magazine, Auto Zeitung had a comparison between OPC and S4. Although S4 won comfortably, they were genuinely impressed with the OPC saying it was a solid effort from GM. The cars are almost equal in power with the GM weighing about 300lbs LESS than the 4 circles. :o

As GM is currently begging established dealer groups to take over and re-start defunct Buick-GMC (thanks to GMAC's abandonment of floorplan all over), anything that'll get people into showrooms is a good start.

I look at Regal as a complimentary piece like the CC to the Passat--and the Regal looks much better in person- GM photography strikes again.

As GM is currently begging established dealer groups to take over and re-start defunct Buick-GMC (thanks to GMAC's abandonment of floorplan all over), anything that'll get people into showrooms is a good start.

I look at Regal as a complimentary piece like the CC to the Passat--and the Regal looks much better in person- GM photography strikes again.

If GM packages a version of the Regal properly, it can majorly gain some of the attention of Passat / CC buyers.

that involves, however, a decent 4 popp turbo. 220hp will not cut it. MT must be an option available.

A turbo 4 pot Regal with MT at 3-4 cheaper than equivalent CC could make waves in the market. It could even grab a few A4 buyers i think.

I was a little bothered when information from GM was initially leaked about bringing back the Regal. Having owned a 98 GS and loved the car I want to see something that deserves the Regal name. My reasoning was that the 2010 LaCrosse is what the Regal should have evolved into IMO and word from GM during early talks of the cars revival was that it would be limited to a choice of 4 cylinder engines exclusively. I have a problem with that because it would be like creating a modern day Century and slapping Regal badges on it. If GM were to put a high powered turbo 4 cylinder engine in the vehicle then I wouldn't be bothered as much, but I don't think a power plant with less than 200hp should be offered in either this new Regal or the LaCrosse. GM is already planning to add a 4 cylinder as an option on the LaCrosse for fuel economy reasons but it seems like a bad choice IMO at around 175hp, that is a lot of car to move for the 3.0L and 3.6L already and I don't know if the reduced weight of the four will make a big enough difference. If GM decided to go with a 4 cylinder engine making something around 250hp and that was the only engine offered...similar to the way Audi has done with the A4 except obviously with more power than the A4, again I don't think that would be a problem but it still wouldn't be a Regal...the idea is also doable since the LNF could easily bring that kind of power to the table. Anyway finding out GM is not only considering offering the vehicle with a 3.6L engine but also bring back the GS model by way of the Insignia OPC...I can't wait to see what GM has in store for the new Regal and the Buick brand...this is the direction the brand should have been going in a long time ago lets just set those four cylinder engines aside for now though.

Edited by Gizhost

I was a little bothered when information from GM was initially leaked about bringing back the Regal. Having owned a 98 GS and loved the car I want to see something that deserves the Regal name. My reasoning was that the 2010 LaCrosse is what the Regal should have evolved into IMO and word from GM during early talks of the cars revival was that it would be limited to a choice of 4 cylinder engines exclusively. I have a problem with that because it would be like creating a modern day Century and slapping Regal badges on it. If GM were to put a high powered turbo 4 cylinder engine in the vehicle then I wouldn't be bothered as much, but I don't think a power plant with less than 200hp should be offered in either this new Regal or the LaCrosse. GM is already planning to add a 4 cylinder as an option on the LaCrosse for fuel economy reasons but it seems like a bad choice IMO at around 175hp, that is a lot of car to move for the 3.0L and 3.6L already and I don't know if the reduced weight of the four will make a big enough difference. If GM decided to go with a 4 cylinder engine making something around 250hp and that was the only engine offered...similar to the way Audi has done with the A4 except obviously with more power than the A4, again I don't think that would be a problem but it still wouldn't be a Regal...the idea is also doable since the LNF could easily bring that kind of power to the table. Anyway finding out GM is not only considering offering the vehicle with a 3.6L engine but also bring back the GS model by way of the Insignia OPC...I can't wait to see what GM has in store for the new Regal and the Buick brand...this is the direction the brand should have been going in a long time ago lets just set those four cylinder engines aside for now though.

GM I think is just looking to the 4 cylinder for MPG and when the higher gas prices hit they will be ready. The price will go up due to oil prices or goverment taxes. One way or another it will go up in the not to distant future. The economy has help keeo the goverment from doing much yet but in time they will hit the tax if oil is cheap.

Untill then we will still see a full range just as we did in years past when the Skylark could be had with a inline 6 for those who just had to have it to the 455.

Edited by hyperv6

Needs a V-6 engine option, preferably the 3.6, and hopefully the 4-cylinder LaCrosse will be a temporary stand-in until Regal arrives....a car that big needs a V-6, even the 3.0 which Consumer Guide said was adequate, almost underpowered I think....looking forward to this car too, I hope it has a good-size trunk and rear-seat room!

Needs a V-6 engine option, preferably the 3.6, and hopefully the 4-cylinder LaCrosse will be a temporary stand-in until Regal arrives....a car that big needs a V-6, even the 3.0 which Consumer Guide said was adequate, almost underpowered I think....looking forward to this car too, I hope it has a good-size trunk and rear-seat room!

Na. Put in the BAS-II Ecotec Turbo. Same HP and Torque curve of the 3.6, half the weight.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook