Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gm4life

The Regal Buick Returns!

106 posts in this topic

The Regal Returns!

500x_Buick_Regal_China.jpg

Regal Named as Next Buick Sedan

As part of Buick GMC's strategy to engage and listen to its dealers, more than 1,000 dealers this week will be the first to learn the name of Buick's next mid-size sport sedan will be the Buick Regal. The announcement was made at the Buick GMC dealer business meeting.

"The transformation of Buick began with our luxury crossover, the Buick Enclave and continued this year with the launch of the 2010 LaCrosse premium sedan," said Susan Docherty, Buick GMC General Manager. "We're thrilled to announce that the Regal will be the next member of the Buick family."

The Regal name has played a very important role in Buick's history for many years and continues to be one of the top Buick nameplates recalled by consumers even though it's been out of the market for the past six years.
Edited by Oldsmoboi

Hooray! I hope they have a Joseph Abboud edition with 2-tone seats.

Really, the 2011 Saturn Aura, has become the 2011 Buick Regal. Proof that GM had too many brands and dumping some doesn't hurt them at all.

hopefully that "fender vent" isn't production. ;) guess it'll be slightly smaller than the LaX....will it have the same engine though?

hopefully that "fender vent" isn't production. ;) guess it'll be slightly smaller than the LaX....will it have the same engine though?

I am betting it'll offer the 2.4L SIDI, 2.0L Turbo and 3.6L SIDI.

I read in the past that the Regal would be 4-cylinder only. Likely the 2.4 liter, and a 2.0 turbo. The Insignia and the Chinese version both have a 2.0 turbo version making around 215 hp. I doubt the 3.6 liter ends up in the Regal, maybe the 3.0 V6, but GM is downsizing engines, even the SRX, Equinox, and Terrain don't have bigger than 3.0 liters. The Regal isn't going to get a better engine than a Cadillac SUV.

It's about time GM started listening to it's loyal customers. Bringing bnack the Regal is one of the best ideas they've had since the restructure.

I read in the past that the Regal would be 4-cylinder only. Likely the 2.4 liter, and a 2.0 turbo. The Insignia and the Chinese version both have a 2.0 turbo version making around 215 hp. I doubt the 3.6 liter ends up in the Regal, maybe the 3.0 V6, but GM is downsizing engines, even the SRX, Equinox, and Terrain don't have bigger than 3.0 liters. The Regal isn't going to get a better engine than a Cadillac SUV.

On the 9-5 that 2.0L I4 it is rated at 220PS using DI (for better mpg not more power). I agree on the V6: either the 3.0L V6 or the turbo 2.8L V6. Not sure if the 325PS OPC will ever make it to the US...

Edited by ZL-1

Hope it's more like the Insignia OPC than the Chinese version with its fender trim and raised suspension.

Raised suspension probably has to do with poorer quality of Chinese roads. I'd expect the US version to have a ride height similar to our Insignia.

I agree that the trim has to go... either put something resembling ports (which wouldn't go that well with the Insignia's design IMHO) or use the Insignia's turn signal repeater there and do away with the trim.

Edited by ZL-1

My guess is that we will see the 2.4DI with 190hp and 2.0LDI-Turbo or 3.0DI cranking close to 260 HP.

My guess is that we will see the 2.4DI with 190hp and 2.0LDI-Turbo or 3.0DI cranking close to 260 HP.

i think the 3.6L DI would need to be there, unless it's somehow considerably lighter than the LaX... but otherwise i could see this working.

i think the 3.6L DI would need to be there, unless it's somehow considerably lighter than the LaX... but otherwise i could see this working.

Yes, the car is about 500 lbs lighter than the Lacrosse. It weighs like 3,517 lbs according to Chinese specs.

People that want speed don't buy Buicks, so a 2 liter turbo is fine. The Passat is a 2 liter turbo. The Lucerne has 227 hp, so 220 hp in the top end Regal makes sense. I imagine the Malibu will lose the 3.6 liter in favor of the 3.0 V6 or a turbo 4 in time as well.

People that want speed don't buy Buicks, so a 2 liter turbo is fine. The Passat is a 2 liter turbo. The Lucerne has 227 hp, so 220 hp in the top end Regal makes sense. I imagine the Malibu will lose the 3.6 liter in favor of the 3.0 V6 or a turbo 4 in time as well.

I would bet it will go to the 3.0L not a Turbo 4.

People that want speed don't buy Buicks, so a 2 liter turbo is fine.

That's not necessarily the case. Buick has a had a few 'performance' models in its heyday. While modest engine options like the 2.0, or 3.0 are likely to find themselves in most engine bays of the Regal, a turbo variant like the OPC Insignia would give the car some extra flair for those who want it.

That's not necessarily the case. Buick has a had a few 'performance' models in its heyday. While modest engine options like the 2.0, or 3.0 are likely to find themselves in most engine bays of the Regal, a turbo variant like the OPC Insignia would give the car some extra flair for those who want it.

GN!

Yes, the car is about 500 lbs lighter than the Lacrosse. It weighs like 3,517 lbs according to Chinese specs.

yeah, but they don't need crash standards in China.

this car had better have the 2.0 260hp turbo and 6 speed manual as an option.

in that regard its a nice option vs a passat CC

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0