The Solstice GXP Will Add Volume

Guest Josh

When General Motors revealed the 2006 Solstice GXP to the world shortly after midnight and into a hopefully better year than ‘05 it garnered the utmost of attention from enthusiasts around the Internet. The sleek, sporty, most successful GM launch since the “Lutz-era” began has sparked a firestorm of Solstii’s since it’s first initial build in August of ‘05. Since then, deliveries have reached as far up to V.I.N. 9,000 and above. While others report that the Solstice is still projected to build “only 20k units per year” I’d kindly like to argue that point. Considering the fact that the 2006 Pontiac Solstice was projected at 20k units per year before the GXP is one glaring admission from General Motors. One other snag in the production figure is that the Solstice went through a very, very rigorous “first build” on the assembly line which delayed full-scale production by at least 6 weeks. With the help of SolsticeForum.com I was able to track my order from start, to build, to sitting in the shipping yard, to final validation for shipping and finally arrival. The process from start to finish took 8 months and two days. With production now on schedule, people are fooling themselves into thinking the Solstice will not be produced at more than 20k units per year. Of course, the counter to that is the Saturn Sky. The Saturn Sky while a very attractive car, is still not being produced yet, but is however undergoing pre-production on the line in Wilmington. Add to the fact that the Sky is not yet available to order, and you have at least until late February before the Sky begins production. Meaning, the Pontiac Solstice gets at least another month and 15 days at full production. At the rate they are going, V.I.N.’s and build #’s in the low 15k’s are not hard to guesstimate before the end of February. Furthermore, GM simply will not be stopping builds on the Solstice for the Sky as a third shift is being added due to Solstice “demand” AND the oncoming Saturn Sky. Not just because of the Sky. So, while I’ve read the “stories” that the Solstice GXP will not add production figures to the Solstii’s line-up, that’s foolish to think a cash strapped company will not make every dollar they can off of such a huge hit as the Solstice.

I think it will add volume, but I also think a lot of people will simply opt for the GXP rather than the regular Solstice -- which is fine, I'm guessing the GXP is higher profit for GM. It will attract some buyers that otherwise wouldn't want a Solstice because it didn't have the performance they wanted, but I also don't expect the Solstice to continue its torrid pace. It will still sell well, but not at the amazing volume (for a roadster) that it is at now, and the SKY will steal some sales too.

If GM does not continue to raise the price of the Solstice as has already been done in '05 (The base Solstice is now $495 more expensive then previous) we'll be fine. To be honest, the one and only thing that will steer production away from the Solstice is greedy Pontiac dealers which will be back handed from Saturn dealers come March/April. If you really think Pontiac/GMC/Buick dealers will not breathe down GM's neck for more Solstii's you're wrong, because I already know that they are, which is why there is a third shift and the overseas Kappa has yet to be announced regardless of what anybody else says.

Well they are producing Sky's now for the media and company cars because I've seen them around. Anyway, when the Sky goes on sale in a few months, it is a 2007 model. By then, the Solstice will be at or near 20,000 units. However, since they'll have a huge backlog, they'll start taking orders for 2007 Solstices including GXPs thus maintaining 20,000 a year. Plus most Solstices are built to order anyways. Edited by mrfunji

Hey there, we noticed you're using an ad-blocker. We're a small site that is supported by ads or subscriptions. We rely on these to pay for server costs and vehicle reviews.  Please consider whitelisting us in your ad-blocker, or if you really like what you see, you can pick up one of our subscriptions for just $1.75 a month or $15 a year. It may not seem like a lot, but it goes a long way to help support real, honest content, that isn't generated by an AI bot.

See you out there.

Drew
Editor-in-Chief

Write what you are looking for and press enter or click the search icon to begin your search

Change privacy settings