QUICK DRIVE: 2009 Chevrolet Silverado LS Extended Cab 4WD

VEHICLE: 2009 CHEVROLET SILVERADO 1500 LS EXTENDED CAB 4WD (MSRP = $32,290)

Exterior: Imperial Blue Metallic/Interior: Dark Titanium Cloth

Options: Locking Rear Differential, $325; Rear Axle 3.42 Ratio, NO CHARGE

Engine: 4.8L V8 / Transmission: 4-Speed Automatic

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Alright, so my employer (the school district I teach for) held their annual homecoming football game Saturday (11/7) and of course in the morning was the traditional homecoming parade through the main part of the borough/town. A bunch of teachers were asked to vounteer to drive a vehicle in the parade carrying the student's of the homecoming court. Vehicles were going to be provided by a local Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep-Ford-Chevrolet dealership, and expected were several convertibles. When I arrived at 8:45 AM Saturday morning to meet with the other five teachers and pick up our vehicles, I saw a loaded '09 Dodge Ram Quad Cab SLT ($44k MSRP), an '09 Jeep Wrangler 4-door Rubicon Softop, a '10 Ford Mustang GT Convertible, an '09 Jeep Liberty with the fabric roof option, and two '09 Chevy Silverado extended cab pickups. Since I was the last to arrive, I *got* a Chevy pickup to drive (honestly, I would have loved to drive the Ram, but our horticulture teacher claimed it first - she's a diehard Dodge girl!).

In parade-form, a few minutes before it's starring role (carrying the three 'Underclass Princesses'):

DSCN2841.jpg

The dealership wasn't expecting to have the vehicles back until 1:00 PM, and even though the truck was finished with it's parade duties by 11:15 AM, I figuredI could "borrow" the truck for a little extended test-drive duty and show it off to my wife & kids. I drove it home (not far from & on the way to the dealership) and picked up the wife and little guy, took them for a small drive int eh area and stopped by my local favorite picture place for some pictures (and even got some at home in the driveway, just to see how nice it would look parked there :P ) <those pictures will be attached at the end of this thread>

The truck, even though not the base model, wasn't much more equipped than the base with the LS preferred equipment group (PEG). The truck, unbeknownst to me at the time, had the 4.8L V8 engine in it and not the 5.3L V8 that I thought it did. It performed beautifully and the sound of the exhaust was great - I was fooled by the smaller V8 engine. It offered a very smooth and quiet ride and the wife said it was a better riding vehicle than what she was expecting. When I pushed on the gas pedal, the 4.8L V8 responded right away and the truck got up and moved. The interior was comfortable and spacious enough, though I think I'd still prefer the crew cab model. Power windows, locks, mirrors were standard with this PEG, and the radio (standard US8 AM/FM/CD radio with AUX input jack) kept the three young paraders more than entertained. The litte guy was not happy 'daddy' couldn't keep the new truck, and the wife claimed it was something she'd be okay with if I bought one.

All in all, the new GM fullsize trucks are very quiet (i.e no rattles), perform above expectation, and are a great truck to drive for all types of occassions and needs. I just wish I had the cash to afford one of my own (well, at least the GMC version :AH-HA_wink: )

At home in the driveway...

DSCN2851.jpg

At my local picture-taking spot...

DSCN2855.jpg

DSCN2858.jpg

DSCN2860.jpg

DSCN2864.jpg

DSCN2867.jpg

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

The Father Inlaw just picked up his 09 Silverodo LT today. He got one heck of a deal.

The truck was stickered at $31,000 and he got her out the door at just over $17,000 including the trade in of his 100,000 plus mile 2001 Silverodo. It is extended cab and has most of the goodies. He got the 5.3 liter and it is two wheel drive.

I have yet to see it but should get to drive it soon.

If it holds up as well as his last truck it should be great. The 2001 has been beaten well but does not have a rattle, creak or rust. It still runs hard and will chirp second gear with the automatic. He only had to replace brakes, tires and a wheel bearing.

I am glad to see you like it. I figure he will be very happy with his.

Note he owned nothing but Ford till the 2001 Chevy.

The new ford and dodge interiors are making the GM twins look dated. It's time for GM to refresh the interior, especially in the non LTZ models.

I suspect from what I saw at SEMA this year we will get a new nose and upgrade to the interior for 2011.

• 1 month later...

<!--quoteo(post=553653:date=Nov 9 2009, 03:43 PM:name=JamesBond)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JamesBond @ Nov 9 2009, 03:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=553653"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The new ford and dodge interiors are making the GM twins look dated. It's time for GM to refresh the interior, especially in the non LTZ models.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I suspect from what I saw at SEMA this year we will get a new nose and upgrade to the interior for 2011.

hopefuly the can get rid of those crappy corner peices