Solstice deserves to carry on...

GMman

For those of you who haven't driven a solstice, You HAVE got to get behind the wheel and try one for yourself. My mother-in-law just purcashed a GXP model with the turbo and OMG!! That car is amazing. IT's fast, it handles like a REAL sports car, it's incredibly great looking, and it's relatively inexpensive. What the hell? If GM kills that car when Pontiac goes, then I just don't get it. Chevy, Buick, hell even Cadillac could make SOMETHING outta that car.

My aunt has a late model BMW Z4. I've compared them side by side and there isn't one reason one would choose the bimmer, other than they subjectively like bimmers better.

Likewise, a very good friend of mine has a Mazda miata. I don't even see these as comparable cars. Side by side the Pontiac has so much more "presence" that you forget the mazda is even there. No comparison.

GM, come on baby!!! Give the Solstice to someone who cares.....that car is a HIT! To kill it off seems like a horrible business decision.

Edited by GMman

To kill it off seems like a horrible business decision.

Except for the part where it's questionable if they ever made a dime off of it. Low volume, lots of hand assembly. The passionate part of me would like to see them fix some problems with them and make a new Chevy version, but the business side of me thinks it's best to let the roadster die for several years, then start from Alpha, and build a business case for the car that makes more sense, involving platform sharing with some other higher volume models.

Except for the part where it's questionable if they ever made a dime off of it. Low volume, lots of hand assembly. The passionate part of me would like to see them fix some problems with them and make a new Chevy version, but the business side of me thinks it's best to let the roadster die for several years, then start from Alpha, and build a business case for the car that makes more sense, involving platform sharing with some other higher volume models.

I argee here 100%.

The Solstice while nice was in need of a redo soon any way. The Alpha is not just a idea but now is a real platform that could make car better and more profitable shared with other lines.

A friend of mine that is a Chevy brand manager told me he never expected the Kappa to last for ever. He said 2 seater other than the Miata and Vette usally sell in cycles of 5-7 years. They go away and come back in another form. The Fiero, Mazda RX 7, MR2 etc have all gone this way. Low volume sports cars sell strong the first year and fade after. It makes hard to make a case for a uydate.

Also factor in the economy and soft car market. Sports cars and 2nd or 3rd cars are just not a strong market right now.

Buick would be a good class for a new sports car in the future. They could get the price to make it a little better for profit. Sports cars are not cheap because of demand. Also Buick could use the Miata factor of selling this sports car world wide as one model with Buick, Opel, Vauxhall and Holden Badges on it.

• 2 months later...

I argee here 100%.

The Solstice while nice was in need of a redo soon any way. The Alpha is not just a idea but now is a real platform that could make car better and more profitable shared with other lines.

A friend of mine that is a Chevy brand manager told me he never expected the Kappa to last for ever. He said 2 seater other than the Miata and Vette usally sell in cycles of 5-7 years. They go away and come back in another form. The Fiero, Mazda RX 7, MR2 etc have all gone this way. Low volume sports cars sell strong the first year and fade after. It makes hard to make a case for a uydate.

Also factor in the economy and soft car market. Sports cars and 2nd or 3rd cars are just not a strong market right now.

Buick would be a good class for a new sports car in the future. They could get the price to make it a little better for profit. Sports cars are not cheap because of demand. Also Buick could use the Miata factor of selling this sports car world wide as one model with Buick, Opel, Vauxhall and Holden Badges on it.

Yep just drive the SKY/Solstice and you'll want one with the turbo.

Yep just drive the SKY/Solstice and you'll want one with the turbo.

2.0 Turbo engine with the up grade kit is my daily diver. I know as well or better than anyone here.

I only hope GM has plans to keep and upgrade it for more models in the future.