Drove a '07 Tahoe today

BuddyP

That's the nice thing about being buds with a salesman LOL! Drove a TB SS a couple weeks ago and now the new Tahoe. It was a White 4X4 LT1 model (17" wheels) with black leather interior. The 17" wheel design isn't the greatest in my mind but looked ok I guess. Exterior looked nice as usual. Could see a little warping at the bottom part of the rear bumper plastic. Front end is pretty low due to the spoiler.

Interior had it's ups and downs, Although I looked over 2 LTZ Hoe's at NAIAS I can't remember the differences enough to compare between those and the LT1. Interior overall looks a lot nicer than the GMT800's, nice tight gaps, nice buttons. Upper portion of door panel looked decent but not fond of the large one peice solid plastic panel that makes up the bottom 2/3's of the door panels. Same with the sides of the console. I like the felt like head liner in the GMT800's better over the smoother GMT900 head liner too. The other gripe is how it looks unfinished between the 2 second row seats. Another thing I noticed was that the A piller blocks more view than the A piller of the GMT800 (BTW, I'm comparing this to my '03 Avalanche). Other than that it was very nicely done, seats were comfortable, maybe not as supportive as my Avalanche but were very comfy. Center console lid is at right hight to rest elbow on and was covered with leather.

Quietness seems right on par with my Av. I didn't notice it to be any quieter but wasn't any louder either. Had comparable wind and motor noise. Tire noise was less but that will vary from one vehicle to another.

Steering wheel feels nice and steering it relatively tight. Deffinatly stiffens up in the corners and handles nicely. Chassis feels very solid. Was a bit more jittery over studder bumps in the road but the longer wheelbase of my Av may contribute to the difference there.

Edited by BuddyP

That's the nice thing about being buds with a salesman LOL! Drove a TB SS a couple weeks ago and now the new Tahoe. It was a White 4X4 LT1 model (17" wheels) with black leather interior. The 17" wheel design isn't the greatest in my mind but looked ok I guess. Exterior looked nice as usual. Could see a little warping at the bottom part of the rear bumper plastic. Front end is pretty low due to the spoiler.

Interior had it's ups and downs, Although I looked over 2 LTZ Hoe's at NAIAS I can't remember the differences enough to compare between those and the LT1. Interior overall looks a lot nicer than the GMT800's, nice tight gaps, nice buttons. Upper portion of door panel looked decent but not fond of the large one peice solid plastic panel that makes up the bottom 2/3's of the door panels. Same with the sides of the console. I like the felt like head liner in the GMT800's better over the smoother GMT900 head liner too. The other gripe is how it looks unfinished between the 2 second row seats. Another thing I noticed was that the A piller blocks more view than the A piller of the GMT800 (BTW, I'm comparing this to my '03 Avalanche). Other than that it was very nicely done, seats were comfortable, maybe not as supportive as my Avalanche but were very comfy. Center console lid is at right hight to rest elbow on and was covered with leather.

Quietness seems right on par with my Av. I didn't notice it to be any quieter but wasn't any louder either. Had comparable wind and motor noise. Tire noise was less but that will vary from one vehicle to another.

Steering wheel feels nice and steering it relatively tight. Deffinatly stiffens up in the corners and handles nicely. Chassis feels very solid. Was a bit more jittery over studder bumps in the road but the longer wheelbase of my Av may contribute to the difference there.

How was the power in the '07 Tahoe compared to your (and my) Avalanche with the 5.3?

Sounds good. I mostly enjoy driving our '04 Burban, but it would be TERRIFIC to have that same character matched with a new braking system that actually has pedal feel (and not scary down, down, down feel...), crisper steering, and a quality interior that doesn't have the potential for so many little creaks and other annoying noises. Basically take what's good about these trucks, and just up the feeling of solidity and sharpen the responses.

But yeah, like was asked above, is the extra 25 horses noticeable? From the reviews it doesn't sound like it, with the one mentioning that the old 4-spd pretty much chokes the feeling of any extra output--which seems about right. Notice the DOD working, ever?

How was the power in the '07 Tahoe compared to your (and my) Avalanche with the 5.3?

most people at my dealership tend to say it has less pickup...

but i think its the difference between the lt1 and ls1... the lt1 seems way faster but the ls1 is so much smoother throughout the powerband...

and i think its the same way here... its got a smoother powerband and not such a torque horse off the line....

most people at my dealership tend to say it has less pickup...

but i think its the difference between the lt1 and ls1... the lt1 seems way faster but the ls1 is so much smoother throughout the powerband...

and i think its the same way here... its got a smoother powerband and not such a torque horse off the line....

Probably so--refine any vehicle and make it smoother and quieter, and it naturally feels slower and less rauscous. The new trucks are heavier and a lot better put together, so you'd expect the same to be true here.

I can't also help but think the old 4-speed isn't helping matters at all either--that's one thing C&D (whether you like them or not) said seemed to sap down any extra power that the engine did get. The 6-speed can't come soon enough.

Another culprit might be the accelerator pedal itself...it's always been very soft and "floppy" on the GMT-800's, which kind of makes them feel quicker than they are because less pressure, and you're be roaring along...something that did get deadened down a bit when they switched to the electro-throttle in '03, but was still there a bit.

I never really hammered on it, but did do a quick kick down and then let off, never got above a 45mph zone so wasn't pushing it too much. But seat of the pants felt right about the same as my Av. When it kicked down it seemed crisper than the Av. You could hear the motor pretty good when getting on it but was very quiet when at cruising speed. Never noticed if the DOD kicked in or not. I thought there was supposed to be a light on the dash that told you when it did but apparently it doesn't. We were actually talking about that when I was driving it. I would have like to take it down the highway or a flat road and see if I could notice but wan't able too..... Did I mention that it was nice, tight and stable in the curves??!!

Just how quick does the motor drop 4 cyl. anyway? Does it take awhile after cruising speed or does it kick right in as soon as throttle movement stops?

Edited by BuddyP

I never really hammered on it, but did do a quick kick down and then let off, never got above a 45mph zone so wasn't pushing it too much. But seat of the pants felt right about the same as my Av. When it kicked down it seemed crisper than the Av. You could hear the motor pretty good when getting on it but was very quiet when at cruising speed. Never noticed if the DOD kicked in or not. I thought there was supposed to be a light on the dash that told you when it did but apparently it doesn't. We were actually talking about that when I was driving it. I would have like to take it down the highway or a flat road and see if I could notice but wan't able too..... Did I mention that it was nice, tight and stable in the curves??!!

Just how quick does the motor drop 4 cyl. anyway? Does it take awhile after cruising speed or does it kick right in as soon as throttle movement stops?

umm its in the information center... you have to get to the screen where it gives your instant fuel ecconomy... and it'll tell you V4 or V8...

it switches back a lot accually...

i think as long as its going over 25 it'll switch to V4 mode...

cruising on the freeway it says it gets high 20's... and then it'll bounce to the V4 mode and then its can go as high as 99 mpg...

Edited by Newbiewar

I think it does it right as soon as you start to maintain a steady speed--like, I would assume, right after you merge onto the highway and start cruising. So far, I think one or two of the mags have said you feel a very slight vibe in the gas pedal (this one could have been a one-time anomaly) and that you do notice a change in the exhaust note--it'll be interesting to see how the aftermarket units handle that one, since when in 4-cyl mode, they'll have to work to make sure it doesn't sound overly raspy or buzzy.

The Impala SS with DOD has a light when it kicks on, so maybe this does too--it just never got a chance to with your driving.

I like the fact that you said "nice, tight and stable in the curves"...our '04 is pretty much like that, but better steering stability on the highway and general crispness improvement would be terrific. Actually, I'd really like a more "tanklike" feel over bad roads--neither our Avalanche or Suburban feel flimsy over lumpy, bumpy stuff, but they definately don't feel as "rock of gibralter" as they should be for such new trucks.

Newbiewar...

Are you stocking more with the 2 passenger 3rd seat or the 3 passenger one? I didn't even know this was an option until I saw both on some of the ones being sold on Ebay. I guess it was just GM's way of offering something different back there, since they never really fixed the having to unlatch and lug out the seats issue.

Newbiewar...

Are you stocking more with the 2 passenger 3rd seat or the 3 passenger one?  I didn't even know this was an option until I saw both on some of the ones being sold on Ebay.  I guess it was just GM's way of offering something different back there, since they never really fixed the having to unlatch and lug out the seats issue.

we've got both...

the ltz's come standard with the rear seat being a 2 seater...

but we've got probably 2/3's of them as 3 seaters... and its up to about 80 units in inventory...

our GM product knowledge guy who works for a supplier of GM, who was seperated from GM a few years back, said that Subs are due in april (we all knew that) Avalanches in August or September, and Trucks in September (sooner then i've been aware) He also said GM plans to have the camaro as an 08 year model...

Interesting. Owning a Suburban now, I don't think I'd ever try to put 3 in the 3rd row of that in the first place, let alone in a Tahoe. Now that it's going to be split 50/50 in the Subs too, I think the little tray/cupholder things on the center of the 2 passenger 3rd row would be nicer than one big flat piece. But that's just me.

I still can't believe people actually buy a "shortie" with a 3rd row. Up, there's no cargo room behind it and it's not exactly fit for comfortable human sitting, so it's always seemed worthless to me. I really like the 5 seater ones, as the shorter length and then big open space in the back is a pretty cool setup. But with a 3rd row, you may as well just get a Suburban where it's actually usable and has a lot of space behind it--plus the fact that it really isn't any harder to manuever, just rides smoother because of the extended wheelbase.

REALLY want to see a new Suburban in person...mom was describing all the stuff in the Tahoe brochure they sent her to me on the phone, and she seemed to like it. Didn't care for it when I first showed it, but would probably give an arm and a leg right now if she could have a power liftgate and easier to wrangle out back seat on hers :rolleyes:

Then again, by the time the '04 is replaced, she might change and go into a Tahoe (not likely, but maybe) or another Avalanche, which she still raves about today, after owning the '02 Z66.

Edited by caddycruiser

well, I did cruise along at around 40-45 mph for a decent distance, so if it did kick in to V-4 mode, I didn't notice it or feel a thing, even in the gas pedal. But you really couldn't hear the motor at cruising speed anyway.

well, I did cruise along at around 40-45 mph for a decent distance, so if it did kick in to V-4 mode, I didn't notice it or feel a thing, even in the gas pedal. But you really couldn't hear the motor at cruising speed anyway.

yea its completely seemless... now we'll see after 60k miles... but as far as i could tell its the same...

even if you watch the dash the dash is delayed... so when you think its switched it already did... you could probably notice the exhaust... that makes sense...

Hey Newbiewar,

Do you know if the Avalanche will have the 6.0 DOD and the 6 spd in the 2006CY ?

have you seen any pictures of the new Av? If so, when will we see the pics?

yea i've seen a picture off of a projector(the orange one that is floating around here... but i saw it about 40 feet long ;) )... the hood looks different but it was just a side profile... if you want a good look at it... look at the cadillac's page and look at the escalade version...

the avalanche will have an avalible 6.0 alluminum engine with vvt and it'll have active fuel management... (GM doesnt want to talk about DOD anymore its being refered to the olds too much... so GM has changed the name)

The 2007 will not offer a 6 speed transmission...

yea i've seen a picture off of a projector(the orange one that is floating around here... but i saw it about 40 feet long ;) )... the hood looks different but it was just a side profile... if you want a good look at it... look at the cadillac's page and look at the escalade version...

the avalanche will have an avalible 6.0 alluminum engine with vvt and it'll have active fuel management... (GM doesnt want to talk about DOD anymore its being refered to the olds too much... so GM has changed the name)

The 2007 will not offer a 6 speed transmission...

What the heck is the 6.0L? The current older one? I thought they replaced that with the new 6.2L with VVT?

What the heck is the 6.0L?  The current older one?  I thought they replaced that with the new 6.2L with VVT?

here... they'll have 2 versions of the 6.0 for the suburban, and one version for the avalanche and maybe in the tahoe...

I'm pretty sure cadillac is getting the 6.2... but chevy is getting a 6.0

1.) Vortec 6000 V8 SFI Engine with VVT and Active fuel Managment (L76)

combines best-in-class horsepower along with fantastic fuel efficency.

(estimated) 354 hp & 375 torque Alluminum block Avalible on 1/2 ton Subs and Avalanches

2.) Heavy Duty Vortec 6000 V8 SFI Engine (LY6) Delivers the power needed to haul the heaveiest cargo and trailers

(estimated) 350 hp and 370 torque standard on 3/4 ton suburban

the 6.2 i think has 400 hp...

our GM product knowledge guy who works for a supplier of GM, who was seperated from GM a few years back, said that Subs are due in april (we all knew that) Avalanches in August or September, and Trucks in September (sooner then i've been aware)  He also said GM plans to have the camaro as an 08 year model...

hope your guy know's what he's talking about w/ the camaro....that'd just be great and have everyone racing to preorder one asap

Thanks for the info Newbiewar, looks like the Avy will be my next new truck! I can't wait to see the changes? the Z71 will make to the Avalanche/Tahoe. Sounds cool to me; larger fog lights, different grill texture, larger tow hook openings..Did you see the new Z71 treatment on any of the fullsizers yet?

I take it the interior stays the same as the Tahoe, (NOT A BAD THING) but wish it would have some things to set it apart from the Suburban/Tahoe.

Have you heard if the midgate is getting a roll down window?

Thanks for the info Newbiewar, looks like the Avy will be my next new truck! I can't wait to see the changes? the Z71 will make to the Avalanche/Tahoe. Sounds cool to me; larger fog lights, different grill texture, larger tow hook openings..Did you see the new Z71 treatment on any of the fullsizers yet?

I take it the interior stays the same as the Tahoe, (NOT A BAD THING) but wish it would have some things to set it apart from the Suburban/Tahoe.

Have you heard if the midgate is getting a roll down window?

as far as i'm aware there will not be a Z71 trim line... Yet.

They may go back, but as for what i have heard they have no intentions of having Z71's again.

and in my book here. it refers to the window as removeable, not retractable...

Edited by Newbiewar