Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

So, apparantly my GTO isn't bone stock

Northstar

Well, when the dealership changed out the spark plugs when we first got the GTO, they drove it around for a minute to make sure everything was okay. Anyways, they said the instrument cluster glitched while they were driving it, so they ordered us a new one and said they'd call us when it came in. We noticed that when the GTO is just sitting at a stoplight or in park it idles a little rough (just a slight shake every few seconds, nothing too major). So, when my dad brought it to the dealership he asked them to see if they could figure out why it did that (they said it wasn't normal). It turns out the guy before me put in a performance camshaft and some lightweight pullies on the serpentine belt (which are just for looks, don't add any power). So, the new camshaft adds 30-40 HP or so, so I figure I'm around 385HP instead of the stock 350.

I thought it was interesting that the former owner would modify and then sell it after only 6k miles, and he didn't tell the dealership it was modified either.

So, I'm pretty happy I guess, since I don't much mind the tiny little shaking action that happens every so often.

Ah... the joys of finding out about the car you just bought. :P

Same thing happened with my GA. I found out it that it was alot farther from stock than I had been told. It had a K&N air filter and the exhaust, well, it isn't stock. Then there were electronic things... the security system, the... uh... unique wiring behind the dash, the speakers, and the wires for a sound system.

Curses you, lottery indeed!

...meantime I might have to sell the Camaro with engine to afford a '59 Buick. I was hoping to keep my SBC. :(

It sounds like the PCM may need to be reprogrammed to adjust for the increased airflow that the lumpier cam provides. More air leans out the air-fuel mixture and can cause some rough idling. You'd probably have to tell the PCM to get the injectors to squirt a little more fuel in so that the engine gets the proper air/fuel ratio. Once you get that right, the shake should go away, and you'll have even more hp B)

He probably didn't tell the dealership for fear of them not wanting to take the vehicle in. I mean, factor this...you're covered under their warranty and the manufacturers warranty. I'm sure he did not want to jeopardize anything.