Scientist predicts 'mini Ice Age'

Derek77

Now this goes against the grain....

ST. PETERSBURG, Russia, Feb. 7 (UPI) -- A Russian astronomer has predicted that Earth will experience a "mini Ice Age" in the middle of this century, caused by low solar activity.

Khabibullo Abdusamatov of the Pulkovo Astronomic Observatory in St. Petersburg said Monday that temperatures will begin falling six or seven years from now, when global warming caused by increased solar activity in the 20th century reaches its peak, RIA Novosti reported.

Scientist predicts 'mini Ice Age'

Those crazy Russians. :CG_all:

The last mini-ice age ran from around 1000-1800. The Thames river in London froze over every winter and the Norse settlements in Greenland were cut off and wiped out as the climate changed. Before this there were vineyards in Britain, an industry only recently revived, malaria-carrying mosquitoes in Southern Europe. BTW hasn't Europe just had it's worst winter for several years? According to some theorists it doesn't hyave to get colder to preciputate an ice age. Changes in warming ocean currents due to fresh water from melting glaciers and open water in the arctic could shut off the warming effect of currents such as the Gulf Stream, and lead to increased snowfalls which persist longer despite warmer weather.

Well, if the sun is going to go through a cooling cycle, we had better hurry up and burn more fossil fuels! We need to trap what little heat from the sun we get!

BUY A HUMMER AND SAVE THE PLANET!

It's official, After I buy my '59 Buick (or '61 Cadillac or '59 Dodge) the next purchase I'm making is that 1974 wankel powered Snowmobile in the classifieds. :)

Sure it will. Mini Ice Age. The climate always cycles, so, sure, we may be killing ourselves off, but it's not going to be instantaneous.

Well, if the sun is going to go through a cooling cycle, we had better hurry up and burn more fossil fuels!  We need to trap what little heat from the sun we get!

BUY A HUMMER AND SAVE THE PLANET!

I'm doing my part! Actaully I've ben doing all I can to help ever since I got my license. You're welcome world. :wink:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/Six...8Panther007.jpg