Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Saab and BMW?

Could BMW revive Saab in much the same way it has MINI?

Perhaps the way to do it is hone down Saab to one line with a rich and unique personality and heritage. Saab's best days were with the 900 line. BMW could use a unique, practical line (4 doors) below its 1 series. A new 900 Turbo 4-cyl in four door hatchback, sportwagon and convertible could be made with MINI and BMW parts in the Trollhattan factory. Starting prices at $20,000 (just above the MINI). At this price there's a genuine market for people who can't afford a Bimmer but want one (even if it's front-drive which is OK - drive a MINI and you'll know what I mean).

GM sells it to BMW for $1. Done.

Of course, the chance of BMW buying Saab is less than thin given BMW's failed fling with Rover.

Edited by buyacargetacheck

I would guess they could revive saab, but the thing is, BMW owns Mini and owns (or atleast is partners with) rolls royce. Both of which are car lines with few models to worry about and their markets aren't huge, especially RR. Mini has significantly more output than RR, but it's no full model line..it's mini, not much to it. Saab is a full car line, and it would take much more investment on BMW's part I would think. BMW brings in a profit, but they do have their own cars to worry about. They don't nearly have the capacity that GM does and I doubt it would be in their best interest to take on Saab.

Then again, I would think Mini basically runs itself now and is pretty much self sustaining...don't know much about RR but I can't imagine BMW is dumpin that much money into it for R&D and whatnot. Now that I think of it more, BMW could possibly take on Saab, but it would be a slow process I would think, and it would probably be a while till you saw a SaaBMW hit the streets.

I would guess they could revive saab, but the thing is, BMW owns Mini and owns (or atleast is partners with) rolls royce. Both of which are car lines with few models to worry about and their markets aren't huge, especially RR. Mini has significantly more output than RR, but it's no full model line..it's mini, not much to it. Saab is a full car line, and it would take much more investment on BMW's part I would think. BMW brings in a profit, but they do have their own cars to worry about. They don't nearly have the capacity that GM does and I doubt it would be in their best interest to take on Saab.

Then again, I would think Mini basically runs itself now and is pretty much self sustaining...don't know much about RR but I can't imagine BMW is dumpin that much money into it for R&D and whatnot. Now that I think of it more, BMW could possibly take on Saab, but it would be a slow process I would think, and it would probably be a while till you saw a SaaBMW hit the streets.

Saab has two models. The 9-2x is dead, the 9-7x is dead man walking. How is two 4 doors and a convertible a full line?

Maybe "full line" was the wrong choice of words...In my opinion, the Saab line should resemble the Volvo line. And regardless of how many models Saab has, there are still many more Saab model variants than Mini for example.

your all so worried about saab needed a huge selection of cars... but with the 900 series in production for like 20 years (and very succesful) and then the 9000 line in production for at least 12... they dont need a HUGE selection of cars but a very HIGH quality line on product to offer its customers... id rather have 2 GREAT cars to choose between then a line of 15 cars that are almost exactly the same that will have an oil leak before it hits 40k...

saabs are luxary... not selection... although i wouldnt ever have any trouble finding one i like... now they have an AWD... an SUV... a convt... and the 9-3 combi for a smaller family wagon... the 9-5 wagon for a larger one... a 9-5 for a 4 door family car that has a sporty side... and then the 9-3 that you can get in 2 doors for just a sporty luxary fun car.

your all so worried about saab needed a huge selection of cars... but with the 900 series in production for like 20 years (and very succesful) and then the 9000 line in production for at least 12... they dont need a HUGE selection of cars but a very HIGH quality line on product to offer its customers

That was my point. I think even with the 9-3 and 9-5 Saab has one too many car lines. Saab is niche and always will be niche. Get Saab focused like MINI is focused. Take the quirky but sporty heritage look of the old 900 and go with it. Priced right and with BMW behind the project they'll sell like mad. The other thing is BMW should get Saab heavily back into rallying. If the economics work they should be able to make dough on sales of 150,000 units worldwide. But what Saab shouldn't do (and sounds like they're not planning to do according LaNeve's statements this past week) is to try and be a full-line make. In any event, 9-3s and 9-5s based on Epsilons won't sell enough units at a high enough price in the lux business. Might as well just buy the Aura with a better dealer experience.

Saab has two models. The 9-2x is dead, the 9-7x is dead man walking.   How is two 4 doors and a convertible a full line?

Right about the 9-2x. Wrong about the 9-7x. They're selling every last one of them. Even though it's just a Trailblazer, some people actually like it.

BMW probably wouldn't have any use for Saab since the brand's direction has been non-existant for over a decade and BMW really doesn't have any FWD platforms that can be used.

I do think GM should reduce the grip it has on decision making at Saab and let the heads over in Sweden take care of the details. Just pump a lot of money into the brand and let Trollhatten and only Trollhatten develop vehicles and platforms that will appeal to loyal Saab customers and people looking for something different.

Let them use their own suppliers, platforms, engines, name designations, etc.

Ford has been doing it with Volvo and GM should do the same with Saab in order for the brand to regain it's footing.

Anyone at GM HQ listening. Bob?

Edited by Cadillacfan

BMW really doesn't have any FWD platforms that can be used.

Well, they could mess around with the mini platform I guess...well, maybe for the 9-3 atleast...well, maybe not...

The problem is, I can totally see Saab being a niche market type of vehivle with just 2 models at most and a couple variants of each, but with the way GM sees Saab and the media sees Saab, I think they look at Saab as more of a volvo competitor, therefore it needs more cars...I'm not saying it does, but I'm sure that's what others are saying. I'm sure GM would love to have Saab as its version of Volvo, but at the moment, saab seems to be going nowhere, and fast. I like Saab's, but unfortunately they just aren't getting the publicity they need it seems.

From another thread, here's my thoughts on what to do with Saab, product wise:

Saab might be on the right track. They don't really need a keck of a lot of investment...not much more than they are getting now. here's what I'd like to see for them:

- new 9-5 on E2 (though global RWD would be B))

- new 9-3 on E2 with 3dr, 4dr, and 5dr (SportCombi) variants

- replace the 9-7x with a Lambda

If they eventually take off (pun intended), reward them with a Kappa Sonnet.

Also, I can see a future Saab-Hummer dealer consolidation helping both brands out. Both have hardcore fanatics that abhor the thought of GM diluting them in the quest for more sales. Each brand has something the other one is lacking, so a natural thing to do is combine the two.