My how times...

Valentine's Day is for lovers. Some might say my "love" is the Monte Carlo. Well, if that's true, then I received the perfect package in the mail today ... a whole bunch of old NMCOA (National Monte Carlo Owners Association) magazines, from another fellow MC enthusiast.

Flipping through the old issues opened my eyes to how much the NMCOA has changed over the years. In some of the older issues, the pictures of the convention included pictures of the people winning the awards ... not just the MCs. Older issues also had a bunch of pictures, technical articles, MC information, etc.

The December 1987 issue included a picture of a blue '84 MCSS that was owned by someone in my home town, Elgin IL ... no, not me. Someone else. And, flipping through the pages of several issues from that year, it seemed IL had many NMCOA members...enough for a valid chapter.

Speaking of chapters, "back then" (1987ish), the NMCOA had several chapters, including Canada, Pennsylvania (2 chapters, it appears), Florida, Virginia, New York (2 chapters, again), Wisconsin, Texas, and, as I mentioned, even my home state of IL (which had 2 contacts, 1 in Flatrock and another in Tinley Park).

Heh...you might say I'm a bit jealous ;).

Even more shocking (to me, anyway), a lot of talk was about GM/Chevrolet axing the Monte Carlo ... and discussing the possibility of a FWD monte carlo. Ironically, in the October 1987 issue, this was reported: "We asked for some input and we really got it ... all of it in favor of NOT allowing the front wheel drive Monte Carlos in the club. ... Seeing the Monte Carlo, in its rear wheel drive form, being laid to rest will hurt. But, Chevy gave us 18 years worth - that ought to last a while. With over 99% in favor of keeping this a "rear wheel drive" only club, you can bet the rent we will!"

Hmmm. Obviously that didn't happen. But, that is NOT bad ... as I've met some wonderful people who happen to own the FWD monte carlos ... including my parents.

*pauses*

Ya know, thinking about it ... it sure would be nice if we could elevate the NMCOA back to the level (and _higher_) of participation and offerings in the newsletter/magazine that previous members and owners enjoyed.... But, I'm not convinced that'll happen ... it all depends on Monte Carlo owners and enthusiasts ACROSS the country (and world). Yet, you would think that it could and would happen, given how the internet has brought people from all over together. Course, if it does not happen, it'll be another example of "irony rocks".

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

"Those might be the best days we will ever know" ... Little Texas ... 'What Might've Been'

I loved those old Monte Carlos. Some of the best cars GM made back then. I would be a current MC owner if it wasn't for Chevys bungling of the current design. The overall shape isn't bad and is actually quite distinctive in it's way but the constant cost cutting drives me nuts and the new 06 I sat in the other day revealed but one padded surface in the whole car, the center console armrest. If only Chevy had used a similar interior setup like the Impala with more padded surfaces I would like it a lot more. As for the older gen, I will never forget my Buddies 1987 LS Monte with factory buckets/console, guage package, 305 4 bbl V8 and F41 suspension plus rallye wheels. That was one sweet ass ride and with a little tweaking on my part would rip a shot for a good part of a block.

Isnt the dash padded? The 2000 I had did have a padded dash. I agree the cost cutting is unfortunate because when it came out in 2000 it came with quite a few nice things standard. I would have had to get an upper level 2005 when I was looking to get the same stuff the 2000 had. Thats when I passed on it and got the Equinox. Well............ I also needed something more practical too. I think too the reason Chevrolet didnt do as much with the interior of the Monte Carlo as they did the Impala is because the Monte Carlo interior didnt get bashed nearly as much as the Impalas did.

As for the older gen, I will never forget my Buddies 1987 LS Monte with factory buckets/console, guage package, 305 4 bbl V8 and F41 suspension plus rallye wheels. That was one sweet ass ride and with a little tweaking on my part would rip a shot for a good part of a block.

*raises eyebrow*

Any chance you have pictures of this '87 MC LS?

I wouldnt mind seeing a picture of this myself. I liked the LS far better than the SS as far as looks. What difference in real life was there between the SS 305 V8 and the regular one like in the LS?

Cool. I'm not a fan of the MOnte Carlo going FWD, but all my preferances aside you could find a muhc owrse car for the money than a '00-'05 MC. :)

*nods*

Very true, Sixty8.....

BTW, in case ya'll wondered why I posted this topic (& was looking forward to some constructive discussion), I grew up on the Monte Carlo. My parents bought a 1976 MC when I was about 3, and I have their 1981 MC SC still today. In fact, between my parents and I, we've owned at least one of every single generation...and, for me, the only car that I've owned without the Monte Carlo nameplate was my former '97 malibu....

1st gen, 1970-1972:

1972 (mine)

2nd gen, 1973-1977:

1976 (parents' tan one)

1976 Landau (my black one)

3rd gen, 1978-1980:

1979 Landau (mine)

4th gen, 1981-1988:

1981 SC (parents, now mine)

1987 LS (mine)

1988 LS (formerly mine)

5th gen, 1995-1999:

1997 LS (parents, still have)

6th gen, 2000-present:

2000 LS (formerly mine)

While growing up, I was not a very active child because of my heart issues. So, I busied myself with Hot Wheels/Matchbox cars. When my parents bought their 1976 MC when I was 3, my "love affair" with the MC began as, from what my Mom tells people, soon after they got their '76 MC, I started pointing at other '76 MCs and saying "arlo". Through my high school and into my college years, I figured out how to tell the different MC years apart and (assuming no exchanged parts between the years) can tell what year any MC is from 1970 to 1982 with no problems....

Thus, as I look through the old magazines, I hope that old and new ideas will help the NMCOA return to the level of participation it once had.

My brother had a blue '83 Monte SS for a couple years-bought it new, traded it on an '86 IROC-Z. Nice car, always liked the color.

The '80s G-body coupes (MC, Regal, GP, Cutlass) and '80s B-bodies (Caprice, Parisienne, 88) always have happy memories to me of my high school years, as those were the cars many of my friends had, along with the Mustang 5.0s, IROCs, and Trans Ams..good times in good cars back in the day... :)

My brother had a blue '83 Monte SS for a couple years-bought it new, traded  it on an '86 IROC-Z. Nice car, always liked the color.

I've always liked those blue SSs as well ;).

But, uh, he traded it in on an '86 Camaro? Dangum...he he he.

Heh...and you're talking about 20 years ago or so being "back in the day" ... he he eh...just sounds odd to me ... but, at the same time, I know exactly what you mean....

I've always liked those blue SSs as well ;).

But, uh, he traded it in on an '86 Camaro?  Dangum...he he he.

Heh...and you're talking about 20 years ago or so being "back in the day" ... he he eh...just sounds odd to me ... but, at the same time, I know exactly what you mean....

Yeah, seems odd to me too..but June will make 20 years since I got my drivers license., and I'll have had my '87 Mustang GT 20 years in May '07. It doesn't seem like it's been that long...