Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

LCD monitors

been thinking of getting an LED backlit one for awhile... in the low $200 range.

gamers- notice any blurring on screens with a 5ms G2G time? something like this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005149

anyone play alot with LCD's and use them for more than just "average" use?

note- i'm not going to be 'shopping any pics anytime soon so ips vs other tech doesn't matter so much to me

I have a 21.6" Samsung from a couple years ago with 5ms response, and I've never found any blurring. Granted, I'm not looking for blur, but I only sit a couple feet away from the monitor, so I'd think it'd be noticeable.

Nice price for an LED!

If I recall correctly, you run a 4770; would it even crank out decent 1920x1080 or did you sink your teeth into a new 5850 and 'forget' to tell us? :P

i don't play any greatly demanding games yet... you happen to enjoy Combat arms? it runs 16X12 quite fine and could OC it a little if i needed to. will still keep my 19" crt too.

have unlocked my x3 to an x4 running @ 3ghz...just cause i can, but allowing it to down clock it automatically for regular use (power saving). lol

nope, working on my desk for a positive pressure enclosure, but haven't bought the fans yet for it, 180mm ones. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835220036 will run off a DC adapter @9V but prolly draw only 3/5ths of it's max Amps so it might be more like 10V

waiting for Seagate's new line of HDD before i upgrade to my W7 Pro. you seen some reviews on it's momentus XT hybrid drive? hopefully they could do 2x that for a desktop drive, i'd prolly buy one soon after it was reviewed. :D

hm.... between samsung http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001390

or the LG http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005149

hm... the LG has an HDMI but no cable or DVI cable

the samsung is cheaper doesn't have HDMI but comes with a dvi cable... i only have one DVI to vga adapter i know where it's at, i'm using it. my 4770 only has 2 dvi outputs but came with a dvi/HDMI adapter too...

what would you do?

That's pretty weird of LG to not include a DVI cable, seeing as it's more or less the defacto standard these days.

I don't think the Samsung's lack of HDMI is a big deal; HDMI is more or less DVI with the ability to transmit audio. In fact, I'd be a bit concerned with the LG, as its specifications don't show it having HDCP compatibility, nor does the website. In case you decide to run Blu-Ray, or any copy-protected media now or in the future, not having HDCP could mean incompatibility.

Looking at the two, the Samsung appeals more to me. Yes, it's slightly smaller, but their LCD panels are brilliant, and I love mine to death. Also, the forward-thinker in me is looking at the bezel of the Samsung and notices that it looks thinner than the LG's, should a dual-monitor setup or Eyefinity be a possibility in the future. :P

BTW, Food for thought:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001389R&cm_re=24%22_led-_-24-001-389R-_-Product

Look at all that real-estate. I'd be tempted to take a gamble on that one, even if it's open box. Sometimes they lack the cables and driver disc, but then how much is a DVI cable? My only concern would be dead pixels.

yeah...eyefinity... thought about it... but not cheap, at least from newegg since single card requires a display port monitor..or buy a converter...eewwww lol

i was leaning towards the samsung too...~$40 is a lot to pay for 1 more input and then have to find a cable too.

Thanks for the offer Olds, only thing is, if you send me them, then i'll end up throwing them away most likely. I just don't have any other DVI devices in my home. a friend works in IS at a local hospital i could prolly get some from without much hassle if the need arrives.

i was thinking you'd send me a few just to reduce the # you'd throw away... oh well. :)

bought the samsung and the fans through newegg... should get the lcd tuesday, coming from memphis.

i was thinking you'd send me a few just to reduce the # you'd throw away... oh well. :)

bought the samsung and the fans through newegg... should get the lcd tuesday, coming from memphis.

Well, technically they are getting "donated" to a technology recycler, but I'd divert one to you if needed. Let me know, I'm going to try and have them gone by the end of this coming week.

• 1 month later...

nah, though i'd like to play supreme commander with both ... brother has it, just hasn't let me gank it yet. hehe

the dynamic contrast is fairly nice. setting it on auto when the screen goes black, it is black.

Edited by loki