Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Any runners / joggers here?

Lately I have picked up running / jogging after having been mostly inactive the past couple years (with the exception of lifting weights on occasion). I started off pretty hard, doing two miles and running about half of it and getting a little winded, but otherwise fine. The second time was easier, but my legs began to get a little sore and I started getting shin splints (however that has gone away). The third time I ran for 3/4 of the route and got home and my legs were spasming, and then sore for days afterward. This was about three weeks ago.

Ever since then, I have been unable to run hard; I start running and the calf in my right leg feels weak to the point where I start limping after a little bit. I even started resting for an entire week between runs but it doesn't matter, my legs start to feel weak after only a few dozen feet. There is no sharp pain, and the weakness goes away about 10 minutes of normal walking.

Does anyone have an idea what I may have injured, and how long it will take to heal? Should I stop running altogether and just walk for a month or so? I finally bought a pair of running shoes geared specifically toward my type (I'm a mild overpronator) and they seem to have really helped, but the weakness in my right leg still persists.

If anyone has any other tips to offer, I would greatly appreciate it.

Stretch after you run, trust me it helps a lot. Also, keep at it (within your physical limits) while your body adjusts to it. Going from nothing to running 2 miles at a time is going to lead to soreness, especially if you do it day after day.

i'd kinda look for things like olds suggest... look into diet needs. staying hydrated enough, perspiring and still needing to pee?

on a related excersize note, me and a friend biked~28.9miles the other day. i drank 1 32 oz of power aid and about the same amount of water, prolly should have had more water... but you get the idea. it was ~mid high 90's with humidity making it ~103 or so. was outside for 3 hours, was tiring, but had been doing ~18 miles at night in 1:45 or so.

hope you figure out what you need to feel better.

I'll run a mile or two, though usually I take more walks more than I do runs. One time, after not running for a while, I suddenly ran 3 miles and my calves were dead for a good 2 weeks. More or less, you're body needs time to adjust. The best thing, I've found, is to start light and gradually increase... and keep at it. Not to mention, stay nourished and hydrated. Something high in protein half an hour before your run is a good bet.

Definitely signs of low potassium as Olds said. Eat one or two bananas in the morning with 1 - 1.5 cup of milk and have a whey proteins shake after the workout. It is not fatigue or stress injury.

And add some stretching like Satty has said.

low potassium?

I was having cramps and Charley horses after exertion, and since I eat Bananas and other things with Potassium, I found that the issue was actually Calcium... I don't have the link, but its closely related to Potassium and how its used by the body.

The solution? I eat a Tums. I haven't had an issue since...

Definitely signs of low potassium as Olds said. Eat one or two bananas in the morning with 1 - 1.5 cup of milk and have a whey proteins shake after the workout. It is not fatigue or stress injury.

And add some stretching like Satty has said.

+1

As soon as my back heals, I'll have to stock up on bananas again...time to hit the bikes!