New Guns N Roses album!

-Camaro-

Well this is a couple days old, but I didn't see it posted here....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060221/ap_en_...c_guns_n__roses

Axl Rose ended his hermit-like lifestyle by venturing out to a Korn tour launch party in Los Angeles and to trendy nightclubs for some post-birthday bashes (his 44th) in Manhattan.

Asked at the Korn bash about "Chinese Democracy," which has been in the making for a decade, Rose told Rolling Stone.com that "people will hear music this year."

The tracks leaked Wednesday take a different direction from Rose's traditional raunchy Sunset Strip-style rock. "Better" has emo/industrial touches mixed with Rose's trademark vocals and hard rock backdrop. "There Was A Time" is a rough studio mix of a power ballad with similarities to GNR's classic "Estranged." "IRS" is closer to the sound of yesteryear, with powerful guitar solos and classic rock flavor.

Rose's manager, Merck Mercuriadis, ordered the Internet sites to remove the links, but declined to comment on them. Fans also sent one of the leaked tracks to radio stations. Mercuriadis said cease-and-desist orders were sent to the stations, but some, such as WAAF in Boston, still had "IRS" in heavy rotation Monday night.

News also surfaced Monday that several music festivals, such as the Rock in Rio-Lisboa and the NovaRock festival in Austria, had booked the band to play in May and June, respectively.

Lisa Reed, wife of keyboard player Dizzy Reed, said on her husband's web site that "all signs point to (the album) getting closer and closer," and she pleaded with fans not to leak the rest of the album.

"It's like shaking all your Christmas presents on the 23rd of December," she wrote, "and figuring out what they are."

I'll believe it when I see it. I love GnR and Axl is the man but how many times have we heard this within the past three years? I've been following Chinese Democracy at least that long and it's been here, then gone, then here, then gone.

One of my insider buds in the music biz says he has something close to 100 songs recorded that are just "sitting there" because he is afraid to release them and not live up to the hype.

One other quick note a search of "Chinese Democracy" on LimeWire shows up songs # as if part of a track listing.

Interesting. "IRS" Sounds great.

Well if tracks are getting leaked, I'd say it's pretty close to release. Also it's probably just Rose trying to get reaction of the public to see if it's good to them. And slash said he listened to it and liked it. Slash also said it would come out in March... I'm not going to believe it till I see it too, but that's something to take note of. Atleast this album won't be rushed. :AH-HA_wink:

I've listened to Better, IRS, and There was a time. I think they're all great, but better is the best of the three, imo. Too bad it's incomplete. :(

Edited by -Camaro-

I have the full version of "Better" as well as "There Was a Time" and "IRS." "Better" is clearly the strongest song i've heard from the Chinese Democracy set...

http://s6.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1SHHUF2TQS94H28G1G3DB94SZX

Enjoy.

Keep in mind, this isn't "GNR," merely Axl Rose and a bunch of hired session musicians. They've been working on and off for over a decade on this album, spending over $13 million and constantly re-recording with a revolving door of producers (including Roy Thomas Baker of Queen/Journey fame). Over this time period, Axl & Co. is said to have recorded about 60 tracks. One main problem has been writer's block, lack of vocals, etc...just a bunch of Rose's usual antics. About 8 tracks have surfaced from these sessions, some played at live shows (Chinese Democracy, The Blues, Madagascar, Riyadh and the Bedouins), and some of those demos that have leaked recently (IRS, There Was a Time, Better, and now Catcher in the Rye). Of this set (haven't heard "Catcher"), Better, The Blues, Madagascar, and There was a Time show promise...but nothing worthy of the hype this album has gotten, or ten-plus years of recording for that matter...

Edited by red

The Guns N Roses "Greatest Hits" was released with law-suit by Axl. The label said it was due to them sinking millions into Chinese Democracy and they needed to recoup some of their losses.

He has done more than 60 tracks...I know that matter of fact like. Axl has lived in the studio for years and especially after the MTV performance when they were said to have been "back"......it's a personal black eye of his he wants to erase.

I bet you once Democracy hits you will see a full flurry of tracks hit 1 to 3 years after Democracy hits. I just wish the dude did no rely so much on a doc to get him through his $h!. He's such a great musician.

I have the full version of "Better" as well as "There Was a Time" and "IRS."  "Better" is clearly the strongest song i've heard from the Chinese Democracy set...

http://s6.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1SHHUF2TQS94H28G1G3DB94SZX

Enjoy.

Keep in mind, this isn't "GNR," merely Axl Rose and a bunch of hired session musicians.  They've been working on and off for over a decade on this album, spending over $13 million and constantly re-recording with a revolving door of producers (including Roy Thomas Baker of Queen/Journey fame).  Over this time period, Axl & Co. is said to have recorded about 60 tracks.  One main problem has been writer's block, lack of vocals, etc...just a bunch of Rose's usual antics.  About 8 tracks have surfaced from these sessions, some played at live shows (Chinese Democracy, The Blues, Madagascar, Riyadh and the Bedouins), and some of those demos that have leaked recently (IRS, There Was a Time, Better, and now Catcher in the Rye).  Of this set (haven't heard "Catcher"), Better, The Blues, Madagascar, and There was a Time show promise...but nothing worthy of the hype this album has gotten, or ten-plus years of recording for that matter...

HOLY CRAP YOU'RE A LIFESAVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been looking all over the web for that. Thank you. The other version sucked. It wasn't the full version. It may not be the original GNR, it's still a great band. Better is an awesome song!! So are the other two leaks.

So when Tracii Guns, Ole Beich, and Rob Gardner left  they weren't GnR?

Yes, as well as Steven Adler, Izzy Stradlin, Gilby Clarke, Slash, Matt Sorum, and Duff McKagan. :D Without each and every one of them... GNR just isn't GNR. :P

Specifically, though, Slash and Duff. That is the GNR that I know and love. More or less, the original band members are more associable with LA Guns than GNR, IMO. The... uh... updated GNR, however, just doesn't compare with either, regardless.

Better is OK. About as good as you can get after replacing the entire band. 'Civil War' is probably my favorite GNR song.

Better is OK. About as good as you can get after replacing the entire band. 'Civil War' is probably my favorite GNR song.

Ok? I think it's really impressive. So far I like it better than the old stuff I've heard... But I've only heard 3 or 4 songs of their old stuff. T.W.A.T. is pretty good aswell. I.R.S., imo, is ok though. It's good, but doesn't compare to the other two. Keep in mind though that better isn't finished. The transitions aren't great. I expect that to be ironed out in the final version. Edited by -Camaro-

For what it's worth, here's the fourth leaked demo from the Chinese Democracy sessions:

http://s39.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1MYKORC...NL0Y05DCW5XL3WO

The demo quality of "Catcher in the Rye" is similar to "There was a Time"...meaning the mix is terrible. IMO, the song is nothing fantastic, but interesting nonetheless. A little bit of Beatles/McCartney influences and Use Your Illusion-style songwriting. Axl's voice sounds really shot, though.

From hearing these demos, it's clear that Rose is trying hard to make every song a hit...and that factor is a little too off-putting to me. Kind of lacking the attitude, the swagger, even the slopiness I'd expect. You can tell what he brought to the real Guns N' Roses, ie hooks, some structuring, certain influences (Queen, Elton John, Nazareth) and of course, great vocals (well, most of the time). But with these tracks, you can tell that he's a piece of a puzzle that isn't complete without the other original bandmates. Think: Slash's bluesy guitar whaling out impossible solos, Izzy Stradlin's bad-attitude songwriting, Duff McKagan's brooding bass, and Steven Adler's ability to hit that pocket at the right time. The original GNR is one hell of a band that just can't be topped without the chemistry of the original members. However, I must say it's good to hear Axl Rose again, even if the material comes up a little short.

Edited by red

I disagree, listening to this new stuff got me into their band. I didn't care for their old stuff except welcome to the jungle. Although I haven't heard much of their old stuff. There maybe a few who think it's not as good, but I don't doubt he'll make tons of new fans. Like me. :)

Edited by -Camaro-

Here's an interesting article...

http://www.laweekly.com/index.php?option=c...awcontent&task=

view&id=12763&Itemid=47#Continuation

Smokin!Leaked single from long-awaited Guns N’ Roses’ album rocks hard

By SCOTT T. STERLING

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 10:11 am

Kurt Cobain must be spinning ’round like a record in his grave. For all of the noise about the supposed cultural/musical paradigm shift created by Nirvana cleansing the world of supposed dinosaurs like Def Leppard, how is it that in 2006 rock music is flabbier and more toothless than ever? I’d trade a dozen of these knee-biting emo dorks for just one song that could hang with “Photograph.”

The only son of a **bleep** with enough piss, vinegar and kill-’em-all attitude to shove an M-80 up rock’s collective ass right now is Axl Rose. And from the sound of the recently leaked new Guns N’ Roses song “I.R.S.” — from the eternally forthcoming Chinese Democracy album — he’s ready to blow **bleep** up.

Classic rock radio station KLOS-FM snuck “I.R.S.” in during a block of GN’R, and the song fit like a glove. Opening with a flash of Led Zeppy acoustic guitars and pedal-steel accents, it soon explodes into a rush of Buckethead’s psychedelic power chords and Rose’s psychotic nasal whine. Rose sounds great, confidently working his upper register and showing more vocal control than ever. He nails confessional lines like “Wouldn’t be the first time I’ve been wrong/Wouldn’t be the last time should have gone/All the rumors I can tell/Some things didn’t work so well.” It may be a shot of desperation from the last of the Mohicans, but it’s a direct hit.

My money’s on Axl Rose saving the day in 2006, akin to what Mariah Carey did for the pop children last year.

Who you got?