Cruzing along...(Part1)

For someone who actually Is considering a car like this for his next drive, I'm deciding on a little review....this coming from someone who has owned Gm compacts for the last decades.....

3 Cruzes came in today to my local dealership. Two LTs, one LTZ. My first impression-mini Malibu! Even after seeing at the auto show, it still reminds of that in the real world.

the "outside"- It actually looks good on the outside...even in three different colors. Fit and finish is still much better than the Cobalt. I can close the doors and tell you the difference. It just feels solid when you compare the two. Trunk is the biggest I've seen in a compact. That should be good for the small family. The 1.4 underneath has no cover and lots of space, a major plus if you want to work on it. I thought the wheel covers where going to suck, but they actually look nice in person. The choice in tire (Firestone) might not have been the best choice though. That baby blue actaully looks much better under real sunlight, and the red pops out at you. Sitting next to a Malibu makes it look pretty big....

The "inside"- The best interior in a GM compact, like ever. Compared to my Cobalt, it feels upscale. Lots of buttons in the center stack, but they are nicely labeled, and actually make sense. The seats are nice and supportive, and big plus for my bad back. Also sat in the back, not squished at all. I like the one button to fols the back seat down. Like the blue light up...nice touch. Oh, and the dash was nice and soft too....

Overall-I like this car. Next up is the drive!

• 1 month later...

Update: Finally did a test drive. Bad news...my panasonic took a final dump.

I test drove two Cruzes tonight, a black granite met LT1, and a Imperial Blue met LS.

Impressions of the LT1: As reg mentioned, you do notice the turbo lag at lower speeds. This could be a downside in city stop and go driving. But once this puppy gets revved, boy does it go. You almost think it has more than those 138 ponies in there....I heart the steering though. This car gives real good feedback in turns, almost sporty like. And it is quiet....something that I am not used to in a GM compact. Loved the blue lit "Chevrolet" on the door sill. Almost knocked myself ou on the door staring at it. The LED gauges are real cool to look at night....loving the blue glow. The only issues is the little screen, which reflects in the windshield. That could take some getting used to. Everything I used in the car (radio, AC) was easy to find and use, and the switches felt solid. The one big change I liked: the Seats were supportive! About time. Comfy, but firm-good job GM. Oh, and the Opel like key fob (like the one used on the Astra) was a nice touch. Folding the back seats with a button...nice. Like the trunk space...not worried about the carpet....

and the LS: after the higher trim level first, this one turned out better than I thought. The 1.8 turns about to be as peppy as my Cobalt (thanks 6 speed!), and driving it didn't feel like a downgrade either. I like the black/gray treatment...looks sporty. Comes with everything need..almost. Cruise would be nice. Just give me the connectivity package (bluetooth, USB for music) and the auto, and I'll be ready to go! Loved the color too...One issue I did have is that the brakes felt touchy....maybe they just needed time to brake in...

Also note: make sure the the auto trans is not in manual mode (shift to bottom then left), as I tried to take off in first gear....cool feature, now that I know.....

Overall- I lked it. I'm giving it an A-. Fix the little stuff, and we have a winner here....

But once this puppy gets revved, boy does it go. You almost think it has more than those 138 ponies in there....I heart the steering though. This car gives real good feedback in turns, almost sporty like. And it is quiet....something that I am not used to in a GM compact. ...........the Seats were supportive! About time. Comfy, but firm-good job GM. Oh, and the Opel like key fob (like the one used on the Astra) was a nice touch.

those were all things I liked too. great writeup. I have to admit the epa figures on the Eco have me thinking now the Cruze would be a nice replacement for my Cobalt. I had been keen on that Outlander sport but the epa figures on the Eco are about 25% better which is enough of a difference to me to possibly stay sedan. It's also the same amount better than a Subaru Legacy CVT which was another option I had been thinking hard about.

It improves on the Cobalt in vastly every way, and also still has the small car charm to it.

Edited by regfootball