Edmunds Animation of 2009 NSX

Variance

We venture into the future to speculate on Acura's V10 supercar

By Ed Hellwig

Date posted: 03-23-2006

It only had 270 horsepower and the interior of a Prelude, yet the 1991 Acura NSX was still an exotic. To keep weight down, aluminum was used for the body, chassis and suspension. Instead of more traditional V8 or V12 power, the NSX used a mid-mounted 3.0-liter V6. What it lacked in displacement, it made up for with variable valve timing and titanium connecting rods, the first ever in a production car.

Then there was the $65,000 price tag, cheap for its class but expensive for an Acura. The brand was only five years old at the time and its only other model was the $30K Legend sedan. No one expected a car like the NSX from a brand like Acura, and that was the whole point.

It was obvious the company exhausted its resources on the car, as little changed over its 15-year life span. The engine got a little more power, a Targa model was added, and a facelift gave it a new look in 2003. By then, Acura had become a full-fledged luxury brand so enthusiasts fully expected a new NSX. In 2005, production of the NSX officially ended with no word from Acura on a replacement.

Earlier this year, Acura finally fessed up and admitted it's working on an all-new NSX. Other than confirming it will have V10 power, Acura announced few additional details. So we decided to do a little digging, consulting our contacts in Japan and a well-connected designer in Europe. With their help, we were able to put together this exclusive video slide show on the next-generation NSX. It may not be exact, but until the car debuts in a couple of years it's as close as you're going to get.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Images and animation: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Featu...rticleId=109733

That drawing probably couldn't be more from what it will really look like when it comes out. It has a front end identical to the new Euro Civic Type R. That drawing has been floating around everywhere, I don't think it looks horrible for a GT style car, but it's no NSX. Remember, it's just a drawing, not even a concept car yet.

There's a lot of confusion going around, people think Honda is still making a car based off of the HSC (which was scrapped, but maybe they'll do a similar body style), some think the next super car will be called an NSX and take after the Auston Martin DB9, while others think that there will be a car to go after the DB9, but it will be a Front engine RWD super car, a GT style car, and not called the NSX, and there will be a completely different car that will remain MR called the NSX and will be a competitor to the F430. All the speculation is annoying, Honda is doing a very good job keeping things under the radar, since there are literally thousands of people in Japan and Europe trying everything they can to get any information about the next super car, and so far the only real information has come straight from Honda themselves, and it simply states the next super car or GT car will have a V10 (maybe both, maybe only one while the other gets a V8, who knows).

:rotflmao:

From something that "looked" like a supercar:

Posted Image

to something that looks like a glorified RSX

Posted Image

Then, what will this glorified RSX cost??  It should at least look the part if it is going to cost like $85K+ .

I like how you are so quick to judge based off a sketch

I like how you are so quick to judge based off a sketch

Unless the article is completely wrong.....and the car actually looks nothing remotely close to that sketch......then I may withdraw my judgement.

However, using the information I have been given, and judging the sketch that was presented (even it's just in the same ballpark as the real thing)......yes, I am judging that thing as looking like a complete joke of a "supercar".

It would have to look drastically different for me to change my opinion.

Unless the article is completely wrong.....and the car actually looks nothing remotely close to that sketch......then I may withdraw my judgement.

However, using the information I have been given, and judging the sketch that was presented (even it's just in the same ballpark as the real thing)......yes, I am judging that thing as looking like a complete joke of a "supercar".

It would have to look drastically different for me to change my opinion.

Honda hasn't released any other information about the car other than it will have a V10. Like I already said, there are a lot of rumors going around as to what the next car will even be. Everything else, including that sketch, is just speculation. Btw, that isn't the first time that sketch has surfaced.

Honda hasn't released any other information about the car other than it will have a V10. Like I already said, there are a lot of rumors going around as to what the next car will even be. Everything else, including that sketch, is just speculation. Btw, that isn't the first time that sketch has surfaced.

Sounds like more than just some random guess:

Other than confirming it will have V10 power, Acura announced few additional details. So we decided to do a little digging, consulting our contacts in Japan and a well-connected designer in Europe. With their help, we were able to put together this exclusive video slide show on the next-generation NSX. It may not be exact, but until the car debuts in a couple of years it's as close as you're going to get.

I think the move from mid-engine to front was rather stupid. It would be nicer if they kept the S2000 front and NSX mid.

Another thing that hasn't been confirmed. Honda may be developing a GT style car, front engined, RWD, that will have a V10. If that is the case, then there's an extremely good chance it will not be called an NSX. Or Honda may be developing an NSX replacement, MR, that will have a V10, and it will keep the NSX name. Or Honda may be developing both and one will get a V8 or both will get a V10, or something like that. My point is, there isn't enough hard evidence to prove any of it right now.

A likely scenario would be Honda developing an NSX in Japan, while Honda Europe is simultaneously developing a GT style car for the Europe market. It makes sense since the GT style car would do the best in Europe, and the NSX style car would do the best in Japan. Then they would have the option to bring either one or both to America, once they analyze the reaction. Again, this is just speculation, who knows what they're up to.

Sounds like more than just some random guess:

Which is exactly what it's supposed to sound like, more than just guesses. The thing is, these sites will post anything they can get their hands on and try and make it credible. Even if they're wrong, no one is going to remember an article 6 months ago. If you read the article carefully, you'll see that they word it in a way to make you think that sketch came from one of their "contacts" in europe or japan and is from Honda, but it does not actually say that. The "slideshow" may be exclusive, but the sketch isn't, I saw it on a German car mag quite a while back. The sketch may have came from the "well-connected designer in Europe" though, I'm not sure, since if you at it, you will see the influence on the front bumper from the Euro Civic Type R (the bumpers are almost identical). However, why would Honda put the same front end on their 100k+ GT car that is on their Civic? Probably because this is just a concept drawing from someone outside of Honda who is speculating as to what it may look like based on current Honda models.

I dunno...I like the new design based off the sketches...sure that doesn't have that wannabe lambo look of the first NSX...but I never really cared for the look anyway.

Wannabe lambo look? Is that really what they were shooting for when they designed it? :scratchchin: