Collectible Automobile features '59 GM cars

The current issue of Collectible Automobile magazine features the (domestic) GM cars of 1959. I haven't seen the article yet but if it's at all like past efforts from this magazine, it should be pretty good. They frequently show photos of the prototypes as they evolve through time. The technical details are usually good too.

I have almost all the issues of this magazine since its inception back in 1984. For anyone who likes old cars and trucks, this is a fine publication. I know it's available at most of the larger magazine racks like you find in Borders or Barnes & Noble book stores.

On edit: I know this isn't a trivia question but I also know there are several people in this forum who are at least as geeky as I am about old cars--so this seemed like a good place to post the info.

Edited by NeonLX

Collectible Automobile is an excellent magazine. Even with that said, they've published two articles I authored.

Which articles? I probably read 'em! :)

If they ever tackle the AMC Gremlin, I'm their man. I wrote an article on the history of the Gremlin that appeared in "American Motoring" magazine back in 1992 (though I'm sure Patrick Foster, one of their regular contributors, would probably do a better job than I could).

Here's a web version of my Gremlin article:

http://geocities.com/namastefolks/gremlin.html

Which articles? I probably read 'em! :)

I'd tell you but I'm trying to keep some sense of anonimity around here.

If they ever tackle the AMC Gremlin, I'm their man.  I wrote an article on the history of the Gremlin that appeared in "American Motoring" magazine back in 1992 (though I'm sure Patrick Foster, one of their regular contributors, would probably do a better job than I could).

Pat Foster (an acquaintence of mine) is THE AMC guy. His knowledge on the subject is without peer, as far as I've seen.

I'll read your article as soon as I get a chance...I like AMCs, especially the AMXs and Pacers.

I'd tell you but I'm trying to keep some sense of anonimity around here.

Pat Foster (an acquaintence of mine) is THE AMC guy. His knowledge on the subject is without peer, as far as I've seen.

I'll read your article as soon as I get a chance...I like AMCs, especially the AMXs and Pacers.

Don't blame you for the desire to retain some anonymity. 8)

I met Mr. Foster at an AMC show in Kenosha some years back. Amazing guy with an encyclopedic knowledge of AMC. I also met John Conde, who was AMC's PR person for a number of years.

I'm an AMC fan from way back. I've owned a '65 Ambassador 990, a '74 Gremlin X, a '76 Pacer D/L (the car my wife and I went on our honeymoon in!), a '77 Gremlin and a '78 Gremlin. I've got a HUGE collection of AMC sales literature and memorabilia.

Can't say I have the collection or AMC past that you do. I have an interest in minor companies with AMC being one of the larger ones. I have a particular affinity towards oddballs like the Pacer wagon, the Spirit AMX, the Concord AMX, and the Griffith Eagle. And of course there were the Marlins and Rebels and Ambassadors along the way.

I had a neighbor when I was young who was an AMC dealer and he'd give me old dealership things like display books showing interior colors and materials. And his son, to this day, has a pristine early AMX (flat black on orange). Gotta love that.

Back in 1989, I could have purchased a very nice original '66 Marlin with the 232 six and auto tranny for dirt cheap. It was aqua and white two-tone (white on top). The owner was convinced that it was "just an old Rambler" and that he wouldn't get much money for it. And like a MORON, I passed it up.

Kick...kick...kick

I like the independents myself--with special emphasis on AMC and its Nash & Hudson forbearers. I also like many Studebakers such as the Avanti (who doesn't?), the Hawks, and the '53 lineup in general. Then there are the Willys (I learned to drive in a '48 CJ2A), Kaisers, Frazers, etc.

What was the deal with the 1977-1980 AMX's? The 1977 looks like a Hornet, the 1978 looks like a Concord and the 1979-1980 both look like Spirits. Was there any meathod to this madness?

There needs to be a method to this?

The Hornet offered the sportiest body in 1977...the Concord followed in 1978...and the Spirit after that. I like the Concord AMX since it was a one-year bodystyle and featured distinct items such as round headlights (Concords had rectangular headlamps) and front fascia. The Spirit is much less rare but it adds lightness and available V8 power. Gotta love the little guys!

Heh. Good summary of the oddball AMXs from the late 1970s, Hudson!

Anyone remember the 1978-only Gremlin GT? This was one rare bird with less than 2000 ever produced. I almost bought one new but decided to hold onto my 1974 Gremlin X for a few more years instead.

Here's an ad for the GT:

Posted Image

Edited by NeonLX

Heh. Good summary of the oddball AMXs from the late 1970s, Hudson!

Anyone remember the 1978-only Gremlin GT?  This was one rare bird with less than 2000 ever produced. I almost bought one new but decided to hold onto my 1974 Gremlin X for a few more years instead.

But what about the Gremlin 5 Litre?

But what about the Gremlin 5 Litre?

Oh yeah. Most Gremlin 5-liters were also equipped with the "X" package--but in theory, you could get the 5-liter option on even a stripped down base Gremlin. I've actually seen a non-"X" Gremlin with the factory 304 under the hood.

The 5-liter option was available starting in 1972 and lasted into 1976.

After 1976, the biggest Gremlin engine option was the 4.2L (258 CID) inline six. Starting in '77, it came with a slightly "hotter" cam and a 2V carb. I had this 2V engine in my '76 Pacer and it definitely had a bit more oomph than the single-barrel carb version (which my '74 Gremlin X had).

On edit: Oops, I noticed that I referred to it as the "5-liter" above. In the AMC sales literature, as well as the logo on the cars themselves and also your question it read, "5-Litre", just as my 258 was called the "4.2 Litre".

Edited by NeonLX

If you guys like AMC check out the latest issue of Car Craft. They are building a neat Rambler American two door sedan.  (Its the issue with the Cougar and Mustang on the cover)

Cool, thanks for the tip!

The Americans from 1966 onward were easy to make into real "pocket rockets". The 290 V8 was a factory option starting in '66 and in '67, AMC offered the 343 V8 as an option as well (for that year only, unfortunately). Then, in '69, AMC marketed the SC/Rambler, a limited edition model with wild paint and a standard 390 V8. Even though the 390 wasn't much of a revver, the car was still a screamer because of its light weight and good mid-range ouput of the big V8. In stock form, this car had no problems turning quarter miles in the 14 second range @ 100 MPH. It was an amazing buy, though I always hated the paint scheme and the really ugly hood scoop. I've always wished they had made a plain-looking American with the 390 under the hood too, for us "introverts". A friend of mine took a '68 American wagon and 390-ized it, complete with a slap-shift auto tranny & 3.54:1 tail gears. He kept it completely stock-looking, including steel wheels with dog dish hubcaps and a "232" rear fender logo. Yee-haw, that car was a blast.

I'll have to pick it up. :wub:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Sixty8panther

Someone should tell that skank to get off the '59 Coupe DeVille and direct her back towards the Van Halen music video shoot she wandered off from. And what is up with the exhaust on that thing, seriously?!

oh man... AMC... i love the AMC cars... not a fan of the pacer tho... but javelin/AMX... oh my god... i love them so much... i actually came real close to gettin a 1971 (year could be wrong) Javelin SST 401 instead of the monte... but my parents all of a sudden decided i needed a car with airbags and abs... oh well...