Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

My LG Phone...

NDL

I'm looking for something to replace my LG 6100, which continually drops calls, among other things - including terrible reception (five bars to one, while I am sitting in the same place), calls breaking up (even while I have five bars), etc.

What cellphone brand has been good for you?

First, what carrier are you on? If it's Sprint or VZW or one of the affiliates have you been taking it in every 3 or 4 months for software and PRL updates? If you haven't, may I strongly recommend that before considering a replacement device or carrier?

First, what carrier are you on? If it's Sprint or VZW or one of the affiliates have you been taking it in every 3 or 4 months for software and PRL updates? If you haven't, may I strongly recommend that before considering a replacement device or carrier?

I update my phone every other week. Plus, I take my phone to the Verizon store often, to get software updates. I'm pretty certain that the problem it's device (brand) related...

Croc, I have had my eye on the RAZR phone. Glad you like yours, because I may very well be getting the same.

PurdueGuy, thanks for your take on Samsung. Verizon carries a new Samsung model that I have my eye on too...

The RAZR was pulled from the market and everybody that purchased a phone in the month of Feb has been notified to return their phone for a new model.

I don't know about you, but when a phone is recalled an entire month due to calls not going through for longer than 1 minute I'd be worried.

Take a look at Sprints Samsung Blade phone instead. Here's a fantastic review from PhoneScoop.

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/review_sam_a900/

I know the RAZR was recalled, but that was one month in a run of over a year and a half. Aren't we always taking on people who diss GM whenever there's a recall?

I've always had Motorola, (star-TAC, V8160, and my present V710) and have only upgraded in 10 years because of the wow factor.

The RAZR is the best phone hands down I have ever owned. It is almost as good as my old green screen Nokia from 2002 that had impeccable reception. The RAZR isn't at that level, but since Nokia doesn't make a compelling flip phone (a necessity as my old Nokia would hit buttons in my pocket and waste minutes on dialing "555" or "23#53" since keylock could and did get punched off in my pocket).

Highlights: LOUD ringers on the RAZR. The speakerphone is also really loud, though sometimes it's a wee distorted. Reception is very good to excellent. I love how I can use my Motorola cable and software (sold separately) to hook up to my computer and create custom ringtones/swap pictures.

It is DURABLE. Only "damage" are a few scratches here and there since it goes in the same pocket as my keys.

Now, if you are one of the people who are clumsy and "drop" their phone all the time (I never understood this phenomenon) then know that dropping a RAZR on anything harder than carpet has been known to cause the screen to pop out and may even break the phone. So don't drop it.

It is made of metal and not plastic, and otherwise holds up better.

o i know how you feel buddy. I had a 6100 also and it was the biggest POS i have ever owned. When the battery started to go dead, I decided to replace it. Luckily I have a friend who works at the Verizon store in the mall, and they took my LG and gave me credit on a different one. I ended up getting the moto E815. Great phone, except that it is only digital (most are now though), so I sometimes don't have reception when im out in the boonies of ND, but that should be fixed in the the coming months, as all the towers in this area will become digital. I wish I woulda waited a couple more months though, cus then Verizon came out with the razr. I guess if I were you I would check out Motos and Samsung. Those are the best from what I hear. A buddy of mine got a razr on verizon a few weeks ago. It works very well, but his only gripes are that you can't set it to vibe and ring at the same time, and that the battery life sucks, but it does on my moto too. Anyway good luck.

Nokia's 6102 (flip phone) has been great for me so far, I've had it a week and haven't had a problem with dropping calls or the retarded stuff with my old LG9100. I have my opinions on the RAZR, but lets just say there are severakl good reason I didn't upgrade to one even though it would have been free instead of the $100ish I spent to get the Nokia.

Guest YellowJacket894

I have a Sony Ericsson model currently, which isn't too bad.

It could be getting the boot soon for a Motorolla Slivr [sic?], though. Probably with iTunes, too.

I have a Sony Ericsson model currently, which isn't too bad.

Ditto. Sony Ericsson S710a for me. Got it last year on eBay, unlocked Cingular phone on Fido. Did a firmware upgrade and it's rock solid.

Had so many bad experiences with Motorola and I'm dead off from it. Nokia or SE for me.

Edited by ToniCipriani

I'm with Nextel so I guess my input is useless.

But...if you're planning on switching carriers and/or are interested in the PTT feature, Motorola's Nextel phones are bulletproof. My i850 has been submerged in water, dropped countless times, and baked in my car yet still works flawlessly.

While time constraints prevent me from replying to each and every poster, thanks to all, for your replies, for each and every response was very helpful. And again, not that I'd wish for anyone to have trouble with their phones, but it's nice to know that I am not the only one with a problematic LG phone.

Luckilly, it looks like I might be able to renew my contract early, and pick up a new RAZR or Nokia...