Paging Roger

Oh yes, I've been keeping an eye on that for a little while now. It's really a '56, not a '57 - but that's okay, I really want a '56 the most. Now if I only had $4,000 plus an indoor storage facility for all the extra parts and cab! I am tempted to go and see it when the weather gets warmer, just to see how original & complete it is. Anyone want to give me a loan?!? :o

Amen to that, ocnblu!!

This is what I've been search for... an all-original, all parts there project truck to restore back to as new, or better than new, condition. It's just that I'm about $3,999 short in my wallet right now :(

Pottstown... isn't that off Route 100? The PA Turnpike exit before Morgantown, right? Not far at all for me to get to, but again why go to kick tires?

Ahh sh!t- that's tempting. Wonder what he'd take for it?

I would love to get into that.

Why must you remember people's automotive Achille's heels ?? ;)

Yeah, I wondered about that too! :P

My neighbor has inherited his grandparent's blueberry farm, about 10 miles away. That's where I've been thinking of storing a purchase, if ever made. I just wonder if he has an empty barn that would protect the truck from the outside weather? I haven't asked, because I want to wait until I know I've got something to put in there if available.

Honestly, does anyone think that truck is too far rusted? I wouldn't want to buy a money pit. I know he mentions an extra cab with good doors and fenders, and some previous postings he's made showed the extra cab. I'm very tempted to go look at it, but with only 1/4 of the money needed, it would be just wasting his time. Now if he'd take $2,000 for the lot, maybe I could find the extra $1k needed to make that happen...

I like the NAPCOs myself, but this still looks like a worthy project truck.

I've got some barn space, but I don't think you want to travel 1,200 miles to Minnesota. :(

Thanks for the offer, but yeah 1,200 miles is a pretty long commute :lol:

I too love the NAPCO-equipped GMC trucks, but finding one of those for a decent price is like finding a needle in a haystack. Here's some NAPCO GMC eye candy for you to enjoy:

post-418-0-96967200-1298041866.jpg

post-418-0-74777000-1298041875.jpg

post-418-0-44359700-1298129676.jpg

1958_NAPCO_GMC_Suburban.jpg

post-418-0-07527300-1298129689.jpg

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

• 2 months later...

Okay, so the seller re-posted the '56 (id'ed as a '57) on Craigslist again, and lowered the price to $2,500 - but doesn't mention the extra cab or parts as in earlier ads:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/2331489251.html

Does anyone else feel this truck may be too far gone to save?

3n33od3le5V05T05U1b4ha9ddb91ec25b1d9a.jpg

3k43ma3o85T05W25U4b4he432c10bf4151114.jpg

3nb3k63l55W35P35R0b4h575a9afef8a21b6b.jpg

3n93m03la5O65T55P4b4ha4f342c1217a1372.jpg

I received the latest LMC Trucks catalog and the price of new sheet metal (front & rear fenders, bedsides, tailgates, hoods, etc) are not cheap. If most of that truck needs to be scrapped, well it ain't worth $2,500 in my book.

I'm so tempted to go see it, though I don't have the entire amount of money needed. I still see this when I look at that truck:

post-418-0-68443400-1304004200.jpg

If it's just surface rust, it can be sandblasted off, filled (if necessary) and coated in rust-encapsulating primer. The pics are bad, but it looks like the majority of the metal could be saved.

I'd be more worried about rot on the cab corners and rocker panels. Only way to fix that is to cut out the bad metal and replace it with good metal. Might not be worth the effort then.

THe truck is worth a look-see, but lowball him at $1500 and see if he obliges. When you look at it, tap suspected rot hot spots with the butt end of a screwdriver.

Of course, if he's throwing in all that extra sheetmetal, that changes everything.

Does anyone else feel this truck may be too far gone to save?

I received the latest LMC Trucks catalog and the price of new sheet metal (front & rear fenders, bedsides, tailgates, hoods, etc) are not cheap. If most of that truck needs to be scrapped, well it ain't worth $2,500 in my book.

Well, as Z28, mentioned, the pictures seem to show lots of surface rust and bad paint... the truck looks saveable. But the real story is underneath... the cab corners and rails, firewall, etc. I'm not immediately familiar with the parts availablity on the '50s trucks, but you need to need to be sure these parts (or substitutes, if you're willing to modify) are available. The frame needs to be checked over, as well... though a S10 frame could be swapped in for a more modern ride and handling.

You also need to ask yourself what you want... a concours resto is going to be more expensive, but if your will to restore it to a fun to drive truck, you can cut a lot of corners and make your own modifications.

Part of the problem here is that $2500 is not a whole lot for the remaining parts... steel is expensive right now and when these are gone, they are gone forever. You need to visit it and crawl all over it for a long time. Its been listed for a while, so it mush need some work that is scaring off the casual tire kickers... low ball him at $1500 or $2000, like Z suggested and see how he feels.

Its a complete truck... thats a bonus. I see a lot of $2500 projects start out as much less.

Keep in mind, its not a cheap hobby... and its not always easy. But thats what makes the final result so much more special to you... your friends can't just have one unless they can right some big, big checks... and in the end they will not have the pride of building something back with one's hands.