replace radio on 04 Grand Prix GT

The back light on the readout on my radio in my 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix has burnt out, so I can no longer see the clock, which I find frustrating. Anyone know how involved replacing the radio is on an 04 Grand Prix? I also was planning to get a radio from either ebay (if I can find one) or a local salvage yard, if they have any, but my concern would be putting a new radio in that will burn out soon also. Any ideas if the lighting in the radio is something that burns out regularly, or if this is an isolated issue with my particular car? Any advice on getting a factory radio, new or used?

I can't really see how to remove the old radio, just by looking at it. Just wondered if anyone had any advice. Thanks guys!

well, it's a W body.. if it's like mine, you can take the shroud around the radio off by a few screws under the steering wheel, the whole piece is conncected. then it'll be mounted with screws with to sheet metal. for ~$10? crutchfield can send you instructions on how to do it.

Edited by loki

The back light on the readout on my radio in my 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix has burnt out, so I can no longer see the clock, which I find frustrating. Anyone know how involved replacing the radio is on an 04 Grand Prix? I also was planning to get a radio from either ebay (if I can find one) or a local salvage yard, if they have any, but my concern would be putting a new radio in that will burn out soon also. Any ideas if the lighting in the radio is something that burns out regularly, or if this is an isolated issue with my particular car? Any advice on getting a factory radio, new or used?

I can't really see how to remove the old radio, just by looking at it. Just wondered if anyone had any advice. Thanks guys!

Generally, in the later GPs, I believe you can actually pull much of the dash apart without tools... I forget if the under steering panel needs to come out first, but its all generally held in place with clips.

As for the radio, there are a few different ones in the GP, and I'm not sure which you have. The ones similar to the older GPs have the smaller backlit LCD readout and uses a fairly hard to find bulb. Its actually pretty easy to fix these, if you can find a bulb. They sell them on eBay and at the dealer. Sometimes its a good idea to run a soldering iron over the bulb contacts if the pads look worn.

The newer radio uses soldered in LEDs. They can also be fixed, but its a bit trickier. There are some guides online.

The Monsoon radio, I'm not so sure how that one works inside... yet.

The radios can be swapped pretty easily, if you go that route. Make sure that the TheftLock has been unlocked. The lighting problem is not super common, but it is common enough... so there is the possibility that your newly installed radio will eventually have the same problem.

Generally, in the later GPs, I believe you can actually pull much of the dash apart without tools... I forget if the under steering panel needs to come out first, but its all generally held in place with clips.

As for the radio, there are a few different ones in the GP, and I'm not sure which you have. The ones similar to the older GPs have the smaller backlit LCD readout and uses a fairly hard to find bulb. Its actually pretty easy to fix these, if you can find a bulb. They sell them on eBay and at the dealer. Sometimes its a good idea to run a soldering iron over the bulb contacts if the pads look worn.

The newer radio uses soldered in LEDs. They can also be fixed, but its a bit trickier. There are some guides online.

The Monsoon radio, I'm not so sure how that one works inside... yet.

The radios can be swapped pretty easily, if you go that route. Make sure that the TheftLock has been unlocked. The lighting problem is not super common, but it is common enough... so there is the possibility that your newly installed radio will eventually have the same problem.

I just have the base single disc CD/AM/FM radio. You are saying that I can take the radio out and just replace a light bulb? I just have to find the replacement bulb? I guess I'll take it apart tomorrow or next weekend and see what it looks like, because that would be a much cheaper fix, since that is the only thing wrong with the radio. Thanks for the pointer!

I just have the base single disc CD/AM/FM radio. You are saying that I can take the radio out and just replace a light bulb? I just have to find the replacement bulb? I guess I'll take it apart tomorrow or next weekend and see what it looks like, because that would be a much cheaper fix, since that is the only thing wrong with the radio. Thanks for the pointer!

In some cases.

Did your backlight burn out in one shot or did it burn out in stages? In one shot indicates to me you have a radio like the older cars which use this bulb., However, looking at some '04 GP radios, like this one:

corvetteradios013002.jpg

Have 3 bulbs... and require some soldering to replace.

3bulbInstall.jpg

In any case, Corvetteradios.com sells the bulbs and has instructions to replace much types of GM radio lighting.

Get a deck from Crutchfield. They are reasonable, easy to install and will have all the instructions on how to and the kit pieces required to put in an aftermarket stereo.

Well, that's all fine and dandy, assuming...

- You are willing to lose your steering wheel controls.

- Are willing to cut up the back of the radio slot to get it to sit flush.

- Don't mind if it does not match the GM interior.

The problem really is that GM insists on using the stupid 1.5 DIN opening... which NOBODY makes a direct replacement for. I do like the new adaptors that include a 0.5 DIN shelf, but most 1 DIN head units are too long to fit flush... so they either stick out 1-1.5" or you have to remove the rear mount and usually most of the rear of the console slot.

Getting the steering wheel controls to work is easier nowadays, but is generally a $100-$200 extra expense to add the adapter. A few radios do include this, but you need to do some homework.

Also, if you get real fancy, and have one of those big flip open screens, you have to ensure you don't have it blocking your climate controls on some GM models... not a problem with the GP, but on the Bonneville and some others, people have to swap the head unit and HVAC positions.

Personally, I feel more 1 DIN radios have controls that are too small and displays that are very gimmicky. So I like the stock head units. I'd love to install some Monsoon units in older cars, but the Monsoon requires a CAN bus. :-(

In some cases.

Did your backlight burn out in one shot or did it burn out in stages? In one shot indicates to me you have a radio like the older cars which use this bulb., However, looking at some '04 GP radios, like this one:

corvetteradios013002.jpg

Have 3 bulbs... and require some soldering to replace.

3bulbInstall.jpg

In any case, Corvetteradios.com sells the bulbs and has instructions to replace much types of GM radio lighting.

I have the radio that you pictured from an 04 GP. The display is only half burnt out right now, I can not see the hour, but I usually can see the minutes. However, I have to hold my hand up to block sun glare and stare at it for a second to let my eyes adjust to the poor lighting of the clock. This is not really the safest way to drive down the road! I really appreciate the information! I'll keep you updated as to what I end up doing.