2011 Dodge Grand Caravan Express

TESTED

2011 Dodge Grand Caravan Express FWD MSRP 24,830 +/- 3.6 Pentastar v6 6 speed automatic

HIGHS

powertrain

revised interior including good controls and ergonomics

things like gauges, radio, climate control, shifter, vastly improved and deliciously simple

interior space, duh, it's a huge box

decent ride and handling, does not feel like a barge

decently quiet inside

not terrible visibility considering a big beast of a van

lots of folks like STO N GO

updated styling outside looks less dowdy, the grille and rear in particular are nice improvements

price! / get more value than the price

LOWS

considering price point, not a bunch really

a little bit more noise suppression may be ok

those second and third row seats still look unnatural and uncomfortable (even though I did not sit in them for 200 miles)

this model i could not adjust driver seat height.....so the whole thing feels too tall

a bit too many dark surfaces (but that can be alleviated with color choice)

A little more low end grunt / torque in the engine at times would be nice but that is really just nitpicking at this point

Really one could say all wheel drive should be offered again on this vehicle

SUMMARY

I will add some commentary later and this was a short drive, but I really was primarily interested in all the improvements with the interior and powertrain. My basis of comparison was other past minivan tests, as well as the similar Routan, which I liked a lot about it, but felt it was unfinished. I have to say the new Dodge's are indeed better than the Routan back then, and overall the van felt like a nice piece. No booming interior, no interior cheapness in places to distract you. The engine and tranny are perfectly matched and entirely appropriate to this vehicle. Not too much or too little power. Shifts smooth, refined. I'm glad Chrysler simplified their powertrain mess of the GC. The ride and handling were comfortable and yet not a floater or mushy. I am guessing alum wheels and bigger tires would have felt even better but really I didn't slalom with it.....and neither would anyone else. For road trips it felt nice. I would give it a B or B+ on interior noise level but it was not egregious at all. Seat was comfy, I just wanted to move it down, if I had a power seat then I could do that. I loved the simple radio and climate controls. The new shifter moved better than before, and was not sloppy loose like before. Good job, you've changed my mind about shifters up on the dash. The steering wheel felt nice and meaty. Visibility was nice for a van. Touch points all felt pretty good even though a wider armrest would be ok.

It's a bit of a joke that a 24,800 dollar vehicle can be this simply useful and now up to date in the powertrain dept. This is no stripper, it just gives you the basics. If you don't need power doors and other gimmicks, then you get every penny of value out of this vehicle. Families on a budget may have a new ride. Maybe minivans will make sense again. The Mainstreet edition adds a couple more items and is not much more price. The Crew packs it in but now it pushing close to 30k. In my mind I think this Express version will experience some popularity. Really, are there any valid objections to this vehicle now?

I am now interested to see how that Avenger does with this engine for under 25k. I bet it has serious scoot. I floored this van and 85+ it was not breaking a sweat. It did it without complaint and to be honest quieter and more smoothly than a few prior GM vehicles with a 3.6. Just sayin.......

FINAL GRADE

Because of the value component of the Express and Mainstreet I will give it an A- with the primary knock being the big box style, even though its improved. Crew I would evaluate separately because the price is higher and I would need to drive one later.

Good job Chrysler. You made a lemon into lemonade, there is hope for you yet. That Charger in the showroom its interior looked a lot better in cloth than leather, too. Nice job.

Edited by regfootball

Excellent review. The appearance and fit/finish quality changes made to existing Chrysler products like the vans and Sebring/Avenger are amazing.

The Pentastar really seems to be a star, and was a great move to replace too many other marginal choices. Huge changes all around, all good.

word. Chrysler polished up the turds quite nicely. I cannot stress enough how valuable the introduction of the Pentastar and the rollout across all its lines at once is to Chrysler's survival. Never would I have considered any Chrysler before except for maybe the Magnum. Between the engine and improved interiors quality across its lineup, they are definitely on the radar now. For me at least.

And now, they are bucking a trend where so many cars are going 4 cyl only. The Avenger etc. having the v6 at such a low price point right now, may be a market differentiator. Avenger says 29 mpg highway. If I can run a sub 6 0-60 with 30 real world mpg on road trips then dude, i may need to get me some of that.

Edited by regfootball