Fine '55 find!

You Just Don't Find Them Like This Anymore

post-394-0-26806900-1304605663.jpg

If a '55 Chevy is your project of choice, this is the best one to start with that I have ever seen. You would have been hard-pressed to find one this unmolested and original in the mid-seventies, let alone today. It's worth every penny of the asking price.

More pics and info. at the link below.

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/2363000220.html

Edited by Camino LS6

Hmmm.

It's just that sweet lil flare running across the car that makes it look like it's not missing anything.

Like a Shelby Cobra in a way.

There's a semi-daily '55 4-dr sedan I pass on the way to one job- a bit more colorful but all there. I haven't seen if it's wearing the 'optional' front bumper yet. ;)

Very very few cars look this good missing the entire front bumper. Weird ;)

It was "the thing to do" at one time. This exact model was my uncle's hotrod in the sixties, including the missing bumper.

I remember him talking about how the local cops used to hassle him about it.

I forwarded the listing to him - he wishes he could trade the '64 Mustang he just finished for this car!

Very very few cars look this good missing the entire front bumper. Weird ;)

It was "the thing to do" at one time. This exact model was my uncle's hotrod in the sixties, including the missing bumper.

Yes, the missing bumper is part of the gasser (drag racing) or street rod asthetic for the '55s..kind of like the primered car in the movie 2 Lane Blacktop or the car in American Graffitti..

Pretty amazing to see one like this in unrestored, unmodified condition these days..

Hey Balthy, I think I know why you live in Jersey - such great hunting grounds for vintage stuff. :smilewide:

Greater human packaging efficiency than any other state is going to result in greater vintage car packaging efficiency, too. ;)

>>"Actually I find lots of pre-80s cars do. "<<

I can't think of one. They all have partially integrated bumpers, the lack of bumper leaves a conspicuous cut-out in the sheetmetal- the C-55 not only is straight cut, but the flared lower edge so tidily finishes off the sheet metal that you don't miss the bumper other than you know it was built with one. A '55 Caddy or Olds can't pull this off...

Edited by balthazar