Too good to be true?

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/ctd/2376779821.html (5/12 posting)

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/ctd/2320884037.html (4/12 posting)

$2,903, 83k miles, 4WD, 8.1L V8 & Allison Auto, SLT equipment :mind-blowing:

I would sell the Envoy in a heartbeat and have this as my "rig"... I might even be able to pay cash for this and then try to lease an econo car for work :smilewide:

But... buyer beware... - could this be too good to be true??? :scratchchin:

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

Not just a scam, but a scamola.

The fact that he wants you to email him directly (and not through the craigslist relay servers) is a first clue. Second clue is the fact that the ad text is actually a graphic.

If you want, humor him for a little while. I guarantee he'll go silent with you once you insist on seeing the truck.

I agree with z28. When looking for cars recently, there were tons of these BS ads... and usually the crux is that they are overseas or something and need to sell the car remotely and want you to ship them money to an escrow 3rd party (them).

A fool (who does not visit the vehicle and witness a title) and their money is soon parted.

I think I saw this ad in the NYC CL recently. Its probably all over CL nationwide.

Trouble is, some deals are almost real seeming... so they would at least get an email inquiry from me. But considering this ad has all the copy in the photo, I'm sure it was listed by a bot and the seller is a fairly sophisticated scammer.

It's also for sale in Atlanta: http://atlanta.craig...2337152776.html

As well as Phoenix: http://soldphoenix.c...LT-2903Phoenix/

Oh wow...

Yeah, its that bad. You probably didn't notice since these scams started out with higher dollar autos, like BMWs and Audis. But now that they are filtering down to 10 year old GMC pickups, you'll see (and recognize) these much more often.

Maybe this is an opportunity to write a C&G article exposing the techniques of these scams.

Edited by SAmadei

Yeah, its that bad. You probably didn't notice since these scams started out with higher dollar autos, like BMWs and Audis. But now that they are filtering down to 10 year old GMC pickups, you'll see (and recognize) these much more often.

Maybe this is an opportunity to write a C&G article exposing the techniques of these scams.

Anyone want to collaborate up for one?

After posting this here I did send an email before anyone replied about this being a scam... here's the response I received last night:

Hello,

Thanks for being interested in buying my 2001 GMC Sierra CK2500 4x4 Crew Cab SLT. It is in a good condition,

No scratches,no damages,never been implicated in any accidents,no problems

At the engine,runs very well. It has an 8 CYLINDERS ,83,200 miles, clear

Title, a perfect car. The price is not negotiable , $2,850.00.

We will use only a 3rd Party To complete the sale.

If you are interested and you have the funds

Available email me your full name and shipping address.

Thank you for your time

P.S. For pictures please use this link :

http://s1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa426/gmc2001pictures011/

Have a nice day!

Julia

I wish we could be like the “To Catch a Predator” series with Chris Hansen from NBC and expose these people for the scammers they are :lol:

Anyone want to collaborate up for one?

Count me in. Shouldn't be too difficult, since this is pretty much your standard phishing scam.