Time to replace my digital camera...

Back in 2002 or 2003 I saved up enough cash (give or take $400) and bought myself a new 35mm SLR camera - a Cannon EOS Rebel XSN:

IMG_20110516_173656.jpg

IMG_20110516_173721.jpg

IMG_20110516_173756.jpg

I loved that camera and used it for a couple of years, even though I received a small digital camera for my birthday in 2004 (the digital camera became my only used camera by 2005 or 2006). That camera has seen better days and I have to replace it. I'm no Chris Doane :P , but I do love taking pictures and have wanted a digital SLR camera for a little while.

What I'd like to know if there is a recommended digital SLR for around $400 that I could buy? I also want to know if the 75-300mm lens I have for my 35mm SLR Cannon would work on a new digital SLR camera, as I would hate to lose out on such a great telephoto lens:

IMG_20110516_173737.jpg

Finally, and idea(s) on what I could get for my 35mm SLR? I have no use for it and it's been sitting in its camera bag in my closet unused for the past 5-6 years. I paid a good amount for it and would hate to just have to give it away.

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

You're probably better off selling it with the lens for whatever you can get, which likely won't be much. Cameras don't hold they're value very well, especially an old film camera.

As far as replacement, a high end digital is often flexible enough to tackle a wider array of photography needs than an entry level DSLR with stock lens. Something like a Canon Powershot SX30is or Nikon Coolpix P500 will probably suit your needs better than, say, either a Canon Eos Rebel XS or Nikon D3000 with the 18-55 mm lens they're generally sold with. To be honest, an 18-55 lens gives you a very limited range of what you can do. To get the same range as one of those "high-end" digital cameras, you'd likely need 3 or 4 lens's, which generally cost no less than $100 for a basic plastic lens. While the digital gives up some on quality and full control of all parameters, it will be a better value for someone who just does non-professional recreational photography.

I only recently traded in my Canon Powershot SX10is for a DSLR. Before NAIAS, all of the photography was done with that camera and I've never had a problem with it. With the more serious intended nature of my photography, I simply outgrew and instead opted for a Canon Eos 60D at $1200.

Thanks BV for the information. Is this the right one? http://www.pcrichard.com/catalog/product.jsp?modelNo=SX30IS

I will definitely check this camera out and soon (going to WDW next week, so I want a better camera). You're right in that I am doing recreational photography (car shows, family pictures, etc) and don't need anything too complicated. I definitely want something with a good zoom on it, and that Canon PowerShot SX30 IS 14.1 seems to fit my needs/wants.

I have to decide whether I want to keep my old 35mm SLR Canon or try to sell it without being raped. I still love and would love to use it, but I haven't bought film in ages. Do stores still sell 35mm film (seriously)?

I have to decide whether I want to keep my old 35mm SLR Canon or try to sell it without being raped. I still love and would love to use it, but I haven't bought film in ages. Do stores still sell 35mm film (seriously)?

Sounds to me you should just keep the camera for your own enjoyment. They still sell film... including 35mm, but selection is suffering... I know several companies have discontinued film lines... like Kodak's Kodachrome. I imagine for the good stuff you'd have to go to a camera shop. Not being an camera aficionado, I've never walked into a camera shop.

Thanks BV for the information. Is this the right one? http://www.pcrichard...?modelNo=SX30IS

I will definitely check this camera out and soon (going to WDW next week, so I want a better camera). You're right in that I am doing recreational photography (car shows, family pictures, etc) and don't need anything too complicated. I definitely want something with a good zoom on it, and that Canon PowerShot SX30 IS 14.1 seems to fit my needs/wants.

Yes, Sir. As mentioned, I had its predecessor the SX10is and was a great camera for the 2 years I had it. Dodgefan has one, as well. The SX30is is basically the same camera with a larger image sensor and a higher telephoto zoom.

I got the Canon PowerShot SX30 IS 14.1 camera today at Wal-Mart. I called two different local Wal-Marts that were out of stock, my wife went to anotehr one last night for baby stuff and checked (out of stock), I went to my local Target on the way in to work and they had 3 available but at $429.99, and finally a Wal-Mart in Hamilton that I stopped in had two left for $399.00 and I bought it. Its currently sitting in the truck all alone, and I'm anxious to get home to check it out. I need to see how much Staples and Office Depot are selling 8MB memory cards - Wal-Mart wanted $18.97 for theirs - so that I have plenty of space for my upcoming trip to Walt Disney World.

Thanks everyone for your comments, and special thanks to you BV for your input.

Sounds to me you should just keep the camera for your own enjoyment. They still sell film... including 35mm, but selection is suffering... I know several companies have discontinued film lines... like Kodak's Kodachrome. I imagine for the good stuff you'd have to go to a camera shop. Not being an camera aficionado, I've never walked into a camera shop.

I just may decide to keep it and buy film for special occasions, especially when the 75-300mm lens would come in handy. I spent a pretty penny on that camera in 2002 or 2003, and it is in great shape. I might buy a roll of film for my WDW trip and try taking some detail pictures with that camera too (like of tall architecture - Tower of Terror, Spaceship Earth, The Tree of Life, Main Street Train Station and Cinderella's Castle, to name a few). It's been years since I've used it and I did enjoy the quality of the pictures it took.

Plus I couldn't sleep at night selling it for $50 on eBay or Craigs List :lol:

I got the Canon PowerShot SX30 IS 14.1 camera today at Wal-Mart. I called two different local Wal-Marts that were out of stock, my wife went to anotehr one last night for baby stuff and checked (out of stock), I went to my local Target on the way in to work and they had 3 available but at $429.99, and finally a Wal-Mart in Hamilton that I stopped in had two left for $399.00 and I bought it. Its currently sitting in the truck all alone, and I'm anxious to get home to check it out. I need to see how much Staples and Office Depot are selling 8MB memory cards - Wal-Mart wanted $18.97 for theirs - so that I have plenty of space for my upcoming trip to Walt Disney World.

Congrats Roger.

You need to buy a faster SD card to get better bang from your camera. Usually local stores do not carry those. For another $11.00 or so get something like Sand Disk Extreme. I have seen difference in my P&S using faster SD cards. and a tremendous difference between a slower or a faster card in my 7D's buffer.

WDW Orlando?

Thanks Z-06, for both the congrats and the info on the SD card.

Would this work as well?

952265_sk_md.jpg

SanDisk Ultra8 GB Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC) ($29.95 @ OfficeDepot.com - though I would check with the local store)

Yes, we're traveling to Orlando, FL next week (May 23-27) for a trip to Walt Disney World. That's what prompted my decision to buy a new camera right now. After attending the NYIAS and seeing how slow my 2004 Nikon CoolPix digital camera has gotten (and I feel pic quality is down too), and especially with missing my Canon EOS Rebel XSN 35mm film camera, I decided it was time to upgrade to a better digital camera to get great photos of our family vacation.

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

It is basically half the speed of the Extreme for the same price!

Let us meet then if you have time. I will be Denver from tomorrow till Tuesday, 24 and in Charleston 27th onwards. We can meet on 25th or 26th. PM me if you are interested.

It is basically half the speed of the Extreme for the same price!

Let us meet then if you have time. I will be Denver from tomorrow till Tuesday, 24 and in Charleston 27th onwards. We can meet on 25th or 26th. PM me if you are interested.

I didn't find any of the Extreme memory cards last night on my search, actually held off buying any to see if maybe Best Buys, HR Gregg, or PC Richards and Sons may carry the Extreme memory cards since Target, Staples, Office Dept and Wal-Mart don't.

However, today I received an email from Staples with next weeks ad (Sun 5/22-Sat 5/28), and they are offering these two memory cards on sale:

post-418-0-33197200-1305904874.jpg

Sale Price = $24.99 (Reg. price $34.99; $10 in savings)

post-418-0-93166100-1305904925.jpg

Sale Price = $34.99 (Reg. price $79.99; $35 in savings) :mind-blowing:

Would you recommend the SanDisk Ultra 16GB? That's quite a buy, and I'd be there at opening Sunday to get it.

Oldsmoboi - thanks for the explanation of what I need to look at.

Leaving for Florida bright & early Monday morning... will need to find something in a store this weekend. Is there any brand to stay away from? Any idea what store would sell what I need?

• 2 weeks later...

You're probably better off selling it with the lens for whatever you can get, which likely won't be much. Cameras don't hold they're value very well, especially an old film camera.

As far as replacement, a high end digital is often flexible enough to tackle a wider array of photography needs than an entry level DSLR with stock lens. Something like a Canon Powershot SX30is

That is what I'm shooting with now and I couldn't be more happy. (I'm not sure if you're my friend on Facebook, but some of my photography is on my page) It seems to take excellent pictures and has a Manual mode to provide more control.

I'm definitely a novice when it comes to photography, but I'd highly recommend it.

EDIT:

Nice! I didn't realize this thread had been around as long as it has when I initially replied.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

• 2 years later...

For the $400 range, I would probably go with one of the Canon Powershot G or Powershot S cameras. They are both fantastic point and shoot cameras, that have attracted the attention of even professional photographers, to carry around as a spare. They have larger sensors than your standard point and shoots, hence the price tag on them, but they are both very compact and have a magnesium alloy body that is really sturdy. Also they offer a ton of manual controls - just about everything you would find on a DSLR, aside from the detachable lenses.