Oh Roger.....

Do you think they could sell it to me for a cool $1,000??? Because that's my limit right now :lol:

Awesome 1955 GMC Suburban Carrier pickup truck - I'd just be happy to sit in it! Very low production - if I recall correctly, 300 were built for 1955. That is definitely my holy grail of the truck kingdom. I'll be sure to check out pictures on the site when they are posted, and if you wouldn't mind letting me know via this thread, I'd be appreciative!

Thanks for thinking of me, FOG! :smilewide:

I certainly will. I'll be the one writing it up.

Right now it's not on my schedule yet (I'm booked through Wednesday of next week) so it might be a while.

The consignment manager told me that it has a Pontiac V8 in it because GMC thought the Chevrolet V8 was weak and sourced from Pontiac instead. he asked me if I know anything about it and I said "No; I just know it looks pretty and that model line is probably my favorite GMCs."

'Chevy engine was thought weak' is interesting :

Chevy V8 was 265 CI, as a 4bbl: 180 HP, 260 TRQ.

Pontiac V8 was 287 CI, as a 4bbl: 180 HP, 264 TRQ.

I believe instead it was the trans, as Chevy was burdened with the Powerglide, while Pontiac got the HydraMatic.

Indeed, GMC frequently felt it pertinent to stick a HYDRAMATIC badge on the truck when so equipped in this era (even tho the vast majority of trucks then were sticks).

That, and frankly, GMC does better by itself to associate above Chevy, as they did.

Edited by balthazar

I believe instead it was the trans, as Chevy was burdened with the Powerglide, while Pontiac got the HydraMatic.

Indeed, GMC frequently felt it pertinent to stick a HYDRAMATIC badge on the truck when so equipped in this era (even tho the vast majority of trucks then were sticks).

That sounds more like it.

Neither one of us could confirm or deny that 'story' which was provided by the owner. I told the consignment manager; "I bet a know a couple guys who can" ;)

I certainly will. I'll be the one writing it up.

Right now it's not on my schedule yet (I'm booked through Wednesday of next week) so it might be a while.

The consignment manager told me that it has a Pontiac V8 in it because GMC thought the Chevrolet V8 was weak and sourced from Pontiac instead. he asked me if I know anything about it and I said "No; I just know it looks pretty and that model line is probably my favorite GMCs."

You and me both. I'd love to own a '55.2 or '56 GMC pickup - that's my ultimate goal. Take you're time, I'm a patience person ;)

That, and frankly, GMC does better by itself to associate above Chevy, as they did.

It's there, I can see it in the first picture FOG posted ;)

Here's what it looks like from a direct angle:

1955%201957%20gmc%20fender%20emblem.jpg

That sounds more like it.

Neither one of us could confirm or deny that 'story' which was provided by the owner. I told the consignment manager; "I bet a know a couple guys who can" ;)

Any info you need, please let me know and I'll see what I can dig up. I'm no balthazar, but these are my favorite trucks :smilewide:

So, do you think if I flew down you could arrange for me to take this out for a spin? I've never driven a Suburban Carrier pickup before...

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

Actually, here's two good sources of information for you to utilize for your write-up: http://www.1955gmc.com/ and http://www.classic-car-history.com/chevy-cameo.htm

Some of my observations about this truck...

- The rim color is not correct for the truck... GMC would have painted the stock rims white.

- The color is not accurate too, as Chevy offered the '55.2 Cameo in white (bombay ivory) with the red trim - GMC didn't offer a white body with red two-tone, according to this site: http://www.1955gmc.com/1955gmccolors.html. Again, not horribly wrong, but not accurate of a '55.2 GMC Suburban Carrier pickup

- The tires look too modern and the white-wall stripe is too thin.. many of these trucks are dolled-up with '50s typical wide white-wall tires.

- The hubcaps are wrong too, should look like this:

post-418-0-50014600-1313075113.jpg

So, would I still buy it if I had that kind of cash? You betcha!!

Any info you need, please let me know and I'll see what I can dig up. I'm no balthazar, but these are my favorite trucks :smilewide:

I have not spent a great deal of time studying GMCs in particular, but the years in studying American vehicles in general has made me pretty decent at hearing a 'reason behind' story and getting a gut feeling on whether or not it has merit. I have a good handle on the 'whys' of the past. Before I looked up the engine specs, I thought the Pontiac might have 10 HP and 25 TRQ on the Chevy, but seeing identical (advertised) numbers gave me even more ammo to seek a better reason. ;) I wasn't there, I have no insider testimonials, but this one seemed relatively logical. Could still be wrong, but the 'weak Chevy' theory definitely isn't right.

Hey FOG, would you be able to take some "better" pictures if it happens to sell before it gets advertised on the website? I'd love to have some quality shots of this truck for my collection. TIA :metal:

Thanks for all the info!

Unfortunately, I do not have anywhere near the clout to arrange a test drive. They're really strict about the cars (which, I don't blame them) and I've only been there 6 weeks.

I will keep an eye on it. I really doubt it'll sell before it gets posted and it needed some minor work so it might be a bit before it is posted.

If it does sell, there is an entire exit process the truck will have to go though, so I should have advance warning in time to snap some photos.

When they do the booth shots, I'll try to get you some of those as well.

The reasons I am shying away from taking shots right now is 1) the lighting in the second building isn't that great and 2) it was towed to us on an open trailer, so it needs to be cleaned and detailed to be at it's best. (iPhone photos are so grainy that you can hide stuff like that) :D

I'm pretty sure that this is the first GMC RK Motors has sold

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

The truck is nice.

And so many other really nice cars in the backgrounds, too. A couple mid-year Sting Rays, no less than four F-bodies, what looks like a '70(?) Charger R/T, and is that blue one in front ot the truck in the rear shot a Chevelle? Can't quite tell for sure. What year is that?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Okay,

After a few months of sitting on repairs, I have the GMC on my schedule for next week. (Was supposed to write it up tomorrow, but I'm taking a PTO day in preparation for an air show :D)

It should be shot today or tomorrow and the write up will take me 1-2 days, then it'll be posted to the RK site.

Roger, I got permission to send you some of our studio shots (My shots in the showroom never turn out very good because the lighting is so bright)

Find me on Facebook (I tried to find you but didn't have any luck -- I'm on Camino, Cort, ocn and Balthys friend list; I'm the guy with the wicked awesome face paint :metal:) or send me an email address.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM