2013 Cruze Diesel Spied Testing In The Desert.

SCR = selective catalytic reduction = AdBlue in the trunk

SCR is what allows Passat TDI to have lower fuel consumption than Jetta TDI, because the engine doesn't have to burn off excess NOx every so often. Downside is that you need to refill Adblue during services. They sell generic diesel exhaust fluid now, so the savings in fuel should make SCR worthwhile.

That's really going to depend on the size of the tank, and the calibrations, but in a car like the Cruze, I would expect it to last a while, as in the products I work on usage is optimized as a percentage of gallons of fuel burned.

Also, notice it says bosch vehicle on it...companies usually have to have placards on them that designate them as prototypes. This could be bosch testing parts (maybe injectors) that they are going to supply to GM?

Edited by PONTIAC06

You'll set a fault code and trip the check engine light because it needs the DEF to meet emmissions requirements. If you went long term it will cause a lot of heavy stress on the aftertreatment system. But it should give you a tank low warning just like your fuel tank.

It is not good if you let the DEF tank run out. I have a BMW 335d with 5000 miles and have not had to fill the tank, but the owners manual said it will give a warning when you have a 2000 or so miles left. It continues to give warnings, but if you ignore the warnings your top speed will be reduced and after the last warning, your car will not restart.

I think a diesel in the Cruze is a great idea, but the DEF tank will need to be filled and not ignored.