Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

2007 SATURN VUE GREEN LINE HYBRID DELIVERS

Posted Image

SATURN VUE GREEN LINE HYBRID DELIVERS GREAT FUEL ECONOMY THROUGH NEW, LOWER-COST HYBRID SYSTEM

NEW YORK – The 2007 Saturn Vue Green Line Hybrid is the first GM vehicle powered by a new, more affordable hybrid system that delivers an estimated 20-percent improvement in fuel economy, depending on driving conditions. It is expected to deliver an EPA estimated 27 mpg in the city and the best highway mileage of any SUV at 32 mpg. The Vue's hybrid system will cost under $2,000. The full vehicle price will start at less than $23,000.

“The Vue Green Line is expected to be the lowest-cost hybrid-powered SUV in the market,” said Mark LaNeve, GM North America vice president of Vehicle Sales, Service and Marketing. “Its lower price allows us to offer the fuel-saving benefits of hybrids to a wider group of customers.”

The Vue Green Line uses sophisticated controls and a unique electric motor/generator mated to a 2.4L VVT four-cylinder engine and 4T45-E four-speed transmission. It is a simple and flexible hybrid design that provides additional power from the motor/generator during acceleration and allows increased fuel economy through engine shut-off at idle, fuel cut-off during deceleration and the capability to capture electrical energy through regenerative braking.

Posted Image

The Vue Green Line will be available this summer. It is based on the popular Vue SUV, which was restyled for 2006 with distinctive exterior appointments and a more refined interior.

“As Saturn continues an aggressive product lineup expansion, a hybrid version of the popular Vue is a natural addition,” said Saturn General Manager Jill Lajdziak. “The Vue Green Line st rengthens our position as an environmentally aware brand that provides great value – an attribute that has always appealed to Saturn customers.”

Along with the Vue Green Line, Saturn will introduce the Sky roadster, Aura midsize sedan and Outlook crossover utility vehicle during 2006.

Fuel-saving performance

Vue Green Line’s innovative 2.4-liter hybrid powertrain is rated at 170 horsepower (127 kw), a powerful increase from the 143 hp provided by the 2.2-liter engine in the conventional four-cylinder Vue. This maintains the vehicle’s sporty feel, with acceleration better or equal to many non-hybrid SUVs.

The Vue’s hybrid system reduces fuel consumption by:

• Shutting off the engine when the vehicle is stopped, to minimize idling
  • Restarting the engine promptly when the brake pedal is released
  • Enabling early fuel shut-off during vehicle deceleration
  • Capturing vehicle kinetic energy during deceleration (regenerative braking) to charge an advanced nickel metal hydride battery
  • Performing intelligent battery charging when it is most efficient
Additionally, the system provides additional power from the electric motor/generator during launch, when required. At wide-open throttle, such as during a passing maneuver, the system improves acceleration feel by using the motor/generator to bolster the gasoline engine to achieve maximum power.

Posted Image

The new hybrid system also is designed to automatically maintain full accessory functionality, including climate control, when the vehicle is stopped, so that hybrid operation is transparent to the driver and passengers. The Vue Hybrid allows an appropriate balance between fuel economy and comfort by providing a system with two driver-selectable operating modes. An economy mode favors fuel economy by limiting the affect of air conditioning, while the other mode favors maximum passenger comfort and defogging performance.

Three hybrid systems

The Vue Green Line is one of 12 hybrids GM will launch, providing customers with several levels of fuel economy savings at different price points on vehicles ranging from cars to full-size SUVs.

GM launched the world’s first hybrid pickup trucks in 2004, with retail availability expanding nationwide with the 2006 model year. GM’s all-new, two-mode hybrid system, developed in collaboration with BMW and DaimlerChrysler, is uniquely compact and scalable to vehicles of all sizes. This new system will debut in GM’s new, full-size Chevy Tahoe and GMC Yukon SUVs in 2007.

Posted Image

Looks good. This might actually be the SUV that makes buying an SUV hybrid worthwhile. The Toyota and Ford hybrids have been overpriced for any savings you get.

I'm more curious to see what this system in the Malibu is priced.

I really can't see this thing catching on. For the same money, you could get a 250-hp V6 VUE or a 269-hp RAV4. Or for $2K less, you could get a 24/30 MPG RAV4 2.4, which is a much, much better SUV overall.

for quick reference, this vue gets 27/32. if your pricing is right, which i have no reason to doubt it, I think you're right. however, the content also matters. I agree the execution of the Rav4 is better than this. i guess the new vue is not so far away though./

It may not be as good as the new Rav4, but the fact that it's a hybrid, and hybrids are all the rage these days will get it noticed. Add to the fact that it only commands a 2k premium over the standard Vue and that's quite a deal. My only question is if you can get teh Red Line appeance package on it, cuz that looks way better than the standard Vue.

It may not be as good as the new Rav4, but the fact that it's a hybrid, and hybrids are all the rage these days will get it noticed. Add to the fact that it only commands a 2k premium over the standard Vue and that's quite a deal. My only question is if you can get teh Red Line appeance package on it, cuz that looks way better than the standard Vue.

The Green Line Vue has it's own unique lower facia. It's not terribly different from the standard Vue's, though, so it's easy to miss.

I still think the Red Line looks better.

Posted Image

Well, yeah! :lol: Just saying, I don't think the Green Line drivetrain will be availiable with the Red Line body kit. You *might* however be able to get the body kit from the dealer. I'm pretty sure that was possible with the previous style Vue & Vue Red Line. Of course, that might depend on whether there are any special air intakes or whatnot on the Vue Green Line.

I really can't see this thing catching on. For the same money, you could get a 250-hp V6 VUE or a 269-hp RAV4. Or for $2K less, you could get a 24/30 MPG RAV4 2.4, which is a much, much better SUV overall.

Okay, but how is the Sportage, Tucson, Escape, Grand Vitara, CR-V, Compass, & Outlander superior? Maybe one competitor can beat the VUE, but the VUE is still considered a class-leader by comparison to all competitors in its class.

The VUE wasn't very good when it first came out but the refresh they gave it a year or so ago did wonders.  The exterior is attractive and the interior is much improved.

funny what a decent looking set of HVAC/Stereo controls and a nice steering wheel will do for an interior huh?

funny what a decent looking set of HVAC/Stereo controls and a nice steering wheel will do for an interior huh?

Definitely...I was suprised at how crappy the original VUE interior was...I didn't know why people bought it. I was shocked how nice the interior was when I sat in it at the auto show.