Brewster Town Car

BigPontiac

So has anyone ever heard of Brewster as a car brand/manufacturer?

I was talking to my friend's uncle at Thanksgiving dinner and he was telling me about one of the cars he has, a 1934 Brewster Town Car. Seems to have only been built between '34-'35 and had Ford mechanicals beneath a custom coach built body...which was produced in Long Island City.

It looks like this:

1935BrewsterTownCar72dpi.jpg

I've seen numerous pics over the years, tho my source says only about 300 were built.

Brewster was originally a full manufacturer '15-'25 (where production was again but about 300 units), tho those cars looked unrelated to the '34-36s. The 2nd gen, if you will, was a coachbuilt car, as they used (primarily) lengthened Ford chassis' & engines, tho some Brewster bodies were also on Buick & Olds chassis. As such, the '2nd gen' Brewsters are not a 'make', but akin to LeBaron, Fleetwood, Bohman & Schwarz, etc. Most of the times I see '34-36s, they are called 'Brewster-Fords'.

I've been lukewarm on these all along. I don't dislike them, but they are a bit overwraught for some.

I've seen a few as well. They're.....distinctive. At a show I was judging this year, someone had one of the early Brewsters that Balthazar mentioned, which was the first I had seen in person. I've seen a few of the Ford models over the years...even met a guy who owns TWO. People just didn't want a luxury car based on Ford parts.